• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
    Klem:

Ha! That's pretty squared away. Did you preface your blasting experience by hollering out "hay guys, watch this!"

I bet your mates mocked you with vigor!

Ahhh -- barrels are a dime a dozen. Shoot that one out and buy another one.

LR55
    Mercilessly. Much laughter and discussion, and Rick your reputation didn't do so well either I'm afraid.

It's a tedious effort to change that type of barrel here so I think I'll give the Rick Technique a miss.

Comment

• Rickc
      Warrior
      • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Klem View Post
      Mercilessly. Much laughter and discussion, and Rick your reputation didn't do so well either I'm afraid.

It's a tedious effort to change that type of barrel here so I think I'll give the Rick Technique a miss.
      Obviously your free recoil technique sux!

Wonder why it works so well for.me?

Comment

• rabiddawg
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2013

This horse ain't dead yet?
        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Guys:

Enough about the free recoil technique! Rick said a couple of times that it is not a good idea for light weight AR's that are basically military in style. Rather for quite heavy rifles using bag rider forends.

My advice to Retro given his carbine fits the description of a military carbine firing service ammo is to develop a bench position that fits him like a tight glove and maintain full control over the carbine under recoil and in return to sight picture.

Now lets see what Retro comes up with since he is the one who started the thread.

Don't worry -- I will lock it if it turns into a pissing contest but not now.

LR55

Comment

• montana
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

I would recommend what ever hold, position one uses they dry fire first. Dry firing will expose all pros and cons of different shooting positions, holds, trigger jerking and flinching. Once in a stable position while using correct breathing technique pull the trigger while keeping your eyes focused on the target. Make sure you practice follow through which is a nice name for keeping your eyes open and focused on the target after the trigger has been pulled. I can see my cross hairs move from my heart beat. Dry firing will expose all movements during the firing sequence. Keep changing your hold, position,trigger technique until you are confident you have the best possible hold, position for your body type. Dry firing has been the best technique I have used to perfect my shooting. Once you master the process while dry firing apply it to live firing. Carlos Hathcock said it was like he was in a bubble sheltering him from any outside distractions. Pure focus on the shooting process.

Comment

• Retro
              Warrior
              • Jul 2016

Retro won't be coming up with anything for couple of months because of shoulder replacement surgery. I have to say that I've been surprised at the direction this thread took. Most of the time I haven't seen these kinds of divisions. There are some brilliant folks on this forum that most like myself can learn from. I've tried something similar to what Rick suggested in my quest for improved shooting technique. It didn't work for my situation but i'm ok with that. During the next couple of months of physical therapy I can practice creating the perfect pocket for bench rest shooting. I seriously doubt that I'll ever elevate my shooting to 1000 yd marksmanship but I will continue to develop a decent position for repeatability in my performance. Repeatability currently is about 2 MOA and I know that my equipment is capable of doing better as I have managed a couple of SUB-MOA groups. What I'm incapable of doing at this point is doing that over and over again.
              Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
              Guys:

Enough about the free recoil technique! Rick said a couple of times that it is not a good idea for light weight AR's that are basically military in style. Rather for quite heavy rifles using bag rider forends.

My advice to Retro given his carbine fits the description of a military carbine firing service ammo is to develop a bench position that fits him like a tight glove and maintain full control over the carbine under recoil and in return to sight picture.

Now lets see what Retro comes up with since he is the one who started the thread.

Don't worry -- I will lock it if it turns into a pissing contest but not now.

LR55

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Retro View Post
                Retro won't be coming up with anything for couple of months because of shoulder replacement surgery. I have to say that I've been surprised at the direction this thread took. Most of the time I haven't seen these kinds of divisions. There are some brilliant folks on this forum that most like myself can learn from. I've tried something similar to what Rick suggested in my quest for improved shooting technique. It didn't work for my situation but i'm ok with that. During the next couple of months of physical therapy I can practice creating the perfect pocket for bench rest shooting. I seriously doubt that I'll ever elevate my shooting to 1000 yd marksmanship but I will continue to develop a decent position for repeatability in my performance. Repeatability currently is about 2 MOA and I know that my equipment is capable of doing better as I have managed a couple of SUB-MOA groups. What I'm incapable of doing at this point is doing that over and over again.
                It was a surprising side show but I think we all agree that a particular technique suggested to mitigate stringing is unsuited to your gun. The lighter frames mean they jump more and the semi auto action brings with it the risk of an unauthorised discharge..

The vertical stringing as opposed to simply a larger group is specific and I remain convinced it will be something simple like not returning the gun to the same position after recoil (if you are comfortable it's not the ammunition). My experience at 1,000yds is it's all down to the wind. If your bullet is still stable at that range and you can see the splash to correct subsequent shots then it's all good fun. Good luck in the surgery.

Comment

• Retro
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2016

Thanks Klem..........surgery was done last Friday now it's don't move it for 30 days. I've experienced a couple of double taps because of not having solid control of my weapon at the time of discharge so the free recoil technique was a no go for me from the start. I also don't want to strap my gun down in a sled and then just pull the trigger as that doesn't appeal to me either. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a horrible shot, I'm just not a precision shooter yet either.
                  I hope to be one day and shooting is a new sport for me as I get a little older and can't do some of the more physical things that I used to do. I'm pretty comfortable with my ammo. I just switched to a single stage for my Grendel instead of using a turret press because I wanted tighter tolerances.

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                  It was a surprising side show but I think we all agree that a particular technique suggested to mitigate stringing is unsuited to your gun. The lighter frames mean they jump more and the semi auto action brings with it the risk of an unauthorised discharge..

The vertical stringing as opposed to simply a larger group is specific and I remain convinced it will be something simple like not returning the gun to the same position after recoil (if you are comfortable it's not the ammunition). My experience at 1,000yds is it's all down to the wind. If your bullet is still stable at that range and you can see the splash to correct subsequent shots then it's all good fun. Good luck in the surgery.

Comment

• Retro
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2016

I've done a couple of changes but have only been on a 50yd range to zero my new Athlon Argos BTR 6X24 scope. I bedded the barrel and changed the scope. Went out yesterday for a bit and had scope zeroed with five shots. Once zeroed the rifle was shooting five shot groups in 1" stick on circles every time. Next time I have a decent day to shoot here in Western Washington I will move to the 100yd range and zero again.

Love the Athlon scope. I've never looked through an expensive scope so to me this thing is beautiful. The site picture is clear and crisp, the adjustments are excellent and the parallax adjustment is smooth. I will be purchasing another Athlon ASAP as I'm awaiting an Alexander 16" lite barrel this week. I already have all of the other parts to assemble once the barrel arrives.

This Grendel habit is getting expensive and my wife just doesn't understand. She asks questions like, "how many of those things do you really need?" I have to explain that it's not a matter of need. It's more like LUST!!!!, or covertness or something like that.

Comment

• just_john
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2012

Just tell her that one of them will be for her!

Comment

• Kilco
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2016

Wow what a thread! Oddly enough, even as a LONG time heavy, varmint style bolt gun guy for everything kind of guy, I've always had an easier time with specificly an AR15 style rifle for any kind of consistent accuracy.. I feel as if even on a bench or prone with a bipod with one of those 16" "noodle barrels" as someone put it, once I get the stock adjusted right and get that suckered pulled in tight and secure, I can relax and just focus on clean consistent trigger pulls.. now I'm sure with an AR10 platform or other brute of a similar nature it might not be so pleasant. All the fidgeting in between shots with my heavy bolt guns seemed to promote inconsistency FOR ME.

Comment

Working...
                        X