X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Have a cordless drill- you can hone the poly tips down a bit to fit. No loss in accuracy if done right, . It's all I have on this thread for Magpul tweaks .

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Yep got a drill and dremel, also have some 640 stainless steel band that i could wrap in heavy grit sandpaper and run it inside the mag to pull the front inside surface down enough and maybe get factory ammo to run throw one.

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Thought I was done------Until now, I pulled the 9 yr. old follower that I tweaked- enhanced type, added 1 more tweak, installed in 10 rd. mag - Viola !!!! A masterpiece is made!

It cycles smoother than the stock follower 10 rnd. pmag from last nights trials.

PLUS- it's it's own limiter , Only 5 can go in !!!!!!!!! This is what I wanted since 08'-- Woooooo hoooo! Thanks again A5 !!!!!

Perfect for load development, 5 at a time. Smooove functioning,, tough polymer plus an extra 1/2" on base to grab.

Yeah, 6 inside made the mag bulge - That was the limiting factor from the past. That was the Big , OHHH ! moment here last night, A5-you can only remove about 10 thous from front of mag-internal with a small-rat type file for the tips. Small vertical grooves about 15 thous wide - can't touch the rest- of frontal internal, or mag will fail- been there ----Max oal of 2.260,,,, maybe,,,

Tips on your ammo has to be reduced a bit , to fit. That won't affect anything- I have taken bullets, did everything possible to them, never lost any accuracy.

I missed something - maybe, well it's a start. Easy fix on getting a 5 rnd poly mag. to run.

Oh, the follower tweaks, well- that's mine.
        Last edited by sneaky one; 03-14-2017, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Why to go Sneaky.

I got a very good idea on what you did to mod the follower.

I ordered a pmag bout a hour ago to start molding out to use.

I have some now but that's for my 5.56 guns don't won't to mod those.

Factory hornady rounds is what I'm running so when it gets here I will base my mods on its oal and take it as far as it can go then mod the ammo tips down if need be.

If more guys would get in on moding pmags and got it to work and sent the results to magpul and Lancer as well I bet it wouldn't take them long to come out with a factory made polymer mag.

Comment

• ricsmall
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

A5

I wish I could say you're right about magpul, but the constraint with their all polymer design is the AR magwell. They won't put out a product unless they can make it work almost without fail, and they would have to compromise the integrity to fit the fatter Grendel in there UNLESS they came up with just a functioning five round mag. There's always hope tho!!

Lancer on the other hand could possibly come up with a design similar to the surefire mags with the wider bottom to allow for proper stack. Add to that the metal upper portion and it might could be done.

If you want to try making some extra followers and mag bodies for experimentation check out alumilite.com. They have silicone for making your own molds and casting materials that are super hard and super lite. I have some ideas I'm about to try with some of their stuff. My buddy makes his own fishing lures with this stuff and adds ballast, micro balloons, rattles, bills, hardware and then air brushes them. They are super tough and very nice looking. I'll try and put up some pics in my album soon if anyone wants a look. Sorry, this got way off topic!! Back to regular programming.

Richard
            Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

You maybe right bout magpul ricsmall, but as you can see through this thread that sneaky has found a way to make five run in a pmag so it can be done, true it is highly modified to get it to work but it is working, now sneaky is saying that factory rounds may not run properly, but I believe that is a problem that can be fixed, this has been taken this far and I don't see why it can't be taken further.

I for one don't need more then five rounds, I only want it for hunting and range work, so a high cap polymer grendel mag is not a concern for me like some.

Keep us posted on your ideas, I know there are all kinds of polymers in use today that can be used for diffrent things.

Talking about the resin used in those bait molds if you was to lay out a two part mold where you lay down the first layer then set a Kevlar fabric then lay down the final outside layer of resin it should be possible to make a mag with a wider and longer inside messurement yet still fit the ar15 magwell and it would indeed be very strong.

I use resin and Kevlar in my hand built sneak style duck boats and it is very strong and yet has good flexibility and friction strength.

Oh and your post isn't of topic that's what this thread is for, the this board to come up with ideas to make this work.

And I'm confessed it can work.

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

K eep the ideas flowing guys.

A5- any pics of them duck boats dude? Processes? etc. ? Awesome if it floats forever!

On topic- if I can get a pal or 2 on here to post my pics- all will be known of my simple mag tweaks .
                Last edited by sneaky one; 03-16-2017, 02:41 AM.

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

A small bit to add, I remember connecting to Stan C a while back- on the poly mags. 3 rounds need to be in contact with each other thru the column, in a Stanag type mag- aluminum- steel. the ar 15 fits that style. The 10 round pmag I tweaked- only in small amounts , of tweakage- has the 3 rounds against each other------ that's probably why this works.

This is so cool .

Brainstormed this tonite- I found a way to make poly mags for the Grrr's fatter case. More to follow on this, it was right there all along.. Thanks again to A5 for lighting the 9 year old itch- fire in me.

On a poly mag for us all, ahhhh GRRRRRR ville is sweet !!!!!

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

I can do these , 10 roung Pmags tweaks. Down to 5 rnds, of Grr cases-. - shipping costs to you, both directions, plus cost of enhanced follower- and tweaks , included in a pkg. to me.
                    Last edited by sneaky one; 03-17-2017, 11:52 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Sneaky ask me to add these pics for him these or pics of the mods he did to a pmag.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2015

Sneaky you out there old buddy, got you pics uploaded.

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Thanks man.

From the top lt. Click on pics to enlarge.
                          Inside the mag., the side inner guides for the ammo, need a smooth filing job- remove about 10K on each side.
                          Front upper inner of mag., where the bullet makes contact to mag. take off just nuff- not much to keep the front edge of brass neck from catching on mag.
                          Total amount of spring cut off bottom, took 2 tries, reshape bottom

Pic 4 follower tweak, was done with an air file belt sander. Specialty tool. A Dremel with a bbl. sander should work fine -think 1/2"-5/8" diameter.

Lastly, a 30 rnd. Pmag follower was used- I cut some off the back leg, It becomes it's own limiter, 5 rnds.

6 rnds., not good. Don't plan on trying with the 20 & 30 rnders anymore- too much mag bulge.

Ammo comes out smooth as silk from this mag.

10 round spring was used. Man are these mags OVER sprung! If you have any questions, or want 1 made- lemmee know...

Can be done in 15-20 minutes- simple.
                          Last edited by sneaky one; 03-21-2017, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• bj139
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2017

I have been reluctant to cut coils off the spring. I figure Magpul must have what seems to be an extra strong spring for some reason.

I started another thread about this issue but it seems to be gone. I guess it was lost in the website crash.

I am working on another angle. When I get something reliable, I will post.
                            I tried to use epoxy to glue something onto the follower but it would not hold on the polyethylene. I may try drill and tap.

Comment

• DL42
                              Bloodstained
                              • Aug 2017

New here, so I appologize if this sounds dumb, but I too would love a polymer 5 rd mag. The steel mags just seem to destroy the brass. Anyway, has anyone tried trimming down a 6.5 follower so that it fits in a pmag? Hell, I would take a single stack 5 rounder the length of a 30 rounder if thats what it would take!

Comment

• Sticks
                                Chieftain
                                • Dec 2016

Lots of threads on that. May have managed to get a 20rnd pmag (IIRC) to cycle 7 Grendel rounds consistently.

COAL and the sides of the magazine bulging are an issue.
                                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

Working...
                                X