• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

^ that's funny but true.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

A5----- I MAYBE have 1, or 2,,, 4--5 rnd. pmags for you, Interested? They would be 10-11 round in length, but only hold 4-5.

I rechecked again, re tweaked a bit, I'll know after this week goes by. No promises- I want these mags also! Poly mags are smooooth.

Lancer, or a small new startup co. could make something for us?

Handy with any tools? No biggie if not. We'll see what developes here . I like helpin fellow Grrrr guys out . Don't lose any sleep on this tho, -dude.

Anyone with a plastic injection mold co. could do this- just have the steel upper mag lip area farmed out- then sent in to make the mags.

Sandblasted steel or SS should adhere to the poly. I use adhesion promoters to adhere many items together,,,, anything is do-able now days.

Damn, I can't start a co. here= too busy as it is....
      Last edited by sneaky one; 03-10-2017, 12:29 AM.

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Okay, here's the deal. I work with GM in the crash -collision part of operations . I know metal. The newer than 2010 cars-trucks have -ULTRA HIGH STRENGTH STEEL inside the crash zones for safety. A std. hacksaw blade wont even scratch the surface of the metal. Tough as titanium, yet cost effective.

If We as a TEAM EFFORT , can convice Magpul to try this mtl., - -ULTRA THIN- .003-4,,, thick in the feed lip area, we could get Pmags --- maybe for the Grrrr.?

Or even Lancer to get the steel- then coat it- I'm only the idea guy in my lifetime, not the full on engineer. Let's do this!

Gm won't touch , or build gun mags.- No...

Metal on some structural car parts need to be heated to 600F to stamp into shape= too strong otherwise! Then , or even oven baked. To get rigidity solidification. Hot! Hot!

Ironically, my older bro works for Genesis Atatchments in WIS. Extra strong steel also- steel cutting items,

The Gen,co. heats the steel to 600f as well, before welding items together. - well-- we grew
        up on the iron range of Northern MN. Its always hot , or cold there.

Dad was at the mine for 36 yrs.

As an aside of me knowing metal , THe GMX is almost,,, as tough as reg. steel- that's why I chose it as my fave leadfree in 09'.

BUG THE HECK out of Hornady for a 95-105 Gmx , Grrr specific !

Also Nosler- they make the same idea pill in the E-Tip line. Local Federal plant can make them , cut grooves , etc. I never quit...

I'll send an Email to Magpul tonite, will anyone back me up?
        Last edited by sneaky one; 03-10-2017, 01:26 AM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

I'm with you sneaky.

I just want a five round polymer mag for range time and hunting, and like you I know metal and the Lancer style of mag is going to be the easyest way of getting one for the grendel.

A all polymer mag like the pmag would be great too, and if a mag that's let's say is capable of holding ten rounds of 556 can be made to feed 5 rounds of grendel properly then that would be awesome deal and would mean that it could very well be possible to manufacture a all polymer P mag for the grendel.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Sneaky if you can make them work with five rounds let me know I want one or three lol.

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

I'm at 4 inside.

I'll give it 1 more huge try. If I can't get close this time- I bail on it- Magpul will get my ideas -emails on Tuesday then.
              Last edited by sneaky one; 03-12-2017, 04:41 AM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Magpul and Lancer probably just delete my emails lol I email them both twice a week, trying to keep it in there ear you know.

Sneak if you have the mags working with four rounds don't give up your almost there to having five, nothing worth doing is ever easy if it was we wouldn't be shooting and loving the grendel would we.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

I have been working on my own project lately with bcg's.

I have the tool and know how, if I can get it to work I think I can make a good buisness off of it.

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

A 5 I found my stock Gen 3 -10 rnd P mag. I can get 5 thru easy -kinda. I took floor plate off, held 2-issh coils in my hand -other hand on mag body, wife loaded 5 Grrrs inside, then pushed them out with her thumb.

Looks good. Maybe remove 1.5 coils off the spring bottom, reshape as needed-, then try again. Lil at a time.

The mag limiters on Amazon, or ebay, will work, --americanfamilypawn has them there- to fit all gen 3 mags.-10-20-30 rnd.

I would,,, for me-file the front bullet built in guides a ten thous on each side with a smooth finishing file. Then remove a small amount of the front upper corners where the round first makes contact with the mag while moving forward.

I'd been trying to make a 20 & 30 rnd. work. This is the way to go. I'm getting another 10 mag to back this one up- plus they fit in a pocket better.

Thanks for the accidental inspiration !

BTW, I got six thru before the mods, half the time. Im calling mine - my 6 shooters!

I'll still hop on Magpuls back. Monkey Monkey, on their back. Worth a try. Snowing here-
                    Last edited by sneaky one; 03-12-2017, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

That's what I'm talking bout Sneaky keep at it.

When you get one to run flawlessly with five rounds let me know I will be intrested in buying them from you.

I would buy some and work on modifying them myself but the bcg project is taking up alot of my time and work shop.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2015

On removing from the coil I would remove, .5 at a time till you hit that 1.5 Mark I think it will be right at 1.75 off when it gets just right myself.

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Sharpie mark it- before snip it , save some extra, if needed for 2nd., or the dreaded third try...

Try 1.5 at the start. Can always stretch the coils a tic -if over by .5 coil. Slow and steady...

This worked out way cool for a many , I think. Skip the big mag capacity for all hunts , easier to shoot at the range also. Just carry a few 25 rnders. in truck, or 1 on person for backup.

This is a win win . I'm a happy guy today, I don't have to mod mags anymore ! SWEEEEEET!!!!

Rickoshay sent out good info on leadfree yesterday, I'm done on bullet mods , till a new rascal shows up.

My sister came down for a visit- hell of a wknd. AWESOME !
                          Last edited by sneaky one; 03-12-2017, 09:42 PM.

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

The only issue on the P mags -is -OAL of ammo. 2.240 runs best, as a max. So if you don't reload, and your ammo is 2.25-600..... Option A is- Tips need to be pulled.

Or the file needs to be involved - to open a small crease vertically inside the frontal- internal mag to allow functioning.

Option B, is- hone a few poly tips down . To reduce OAL's. They still group just fine..., open up same as factory ammo.

Factory ammo can't have bullets pushed in deeper- A Huge pressure spike will happen!!!!
                            Last edited by sneaky one; 03-12-2017, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• sneaky one
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

I have 5 - loaded @2.240 OAL running thru at 100 %. Function,,, 6 at 95%. Minimal tweaks- anyone can do the tweaks. Small filing is about it ., To make this function. Pm me if needed.

And The Cutting Down Of The Spring--!!!! Was a 2 part event- that seemed to seal the deal. I'll make more if needed.

I cycled 5 rounds then, 6 thru about 80 times--- using dud ammo, no primers or powder- full length sized cases. Good.

5 rounds is the best in a Hunt scenario.

A5- this is as good as it gets for these mags.

Next time the temps get up- BFT & I will try these at the outdoor range, I am building a few more soon- need to verify function at the ranges.

The 20 Rnders +30's --- meh,,, I can morph the 2 here if anyone wants a short 5-6 rnd mag. from the 2- I am almost ready to recycle, from my past trys.

I know that I wont get properly compensated for these- yet- I have a lot of interest in these, as they were my first trys, kinda like having a kid--- aka-- Gilbert Geodfrey---- Heee !
                              Last edited by sneaky one; 03-14-2017, 12:19 AM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2015

That's awesome Sneaky, now just got to see if we can make it work with factory rounds.

I don't load my own so if they can't run factory ammo, it's still out the window for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X