• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • s3silver
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Drillboss View Post
    I stand corrected. My answer was based on what Von Gruff told me once:

...The 100gn ttsx gets 2950 but the 123gn has a better long range performance with less elevation and windage drift.
    Without a doubt the most efficient and usable rifle I have built (other than a little 20 VarTarg that is)

No problem.

The 100 ttsx at 2950 should be interesting. Currently, I have the same pill going at ~2800 out of my 22" AR and it's already a performer. Have you taken anything with that load?

Comment

• s3silver
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Rickc View Post
      I have the turbo 40 improved. It feeds flawlessly

See pic below beside its parent case the 6.5 grendel. There is 1 gr of h20 capacity gain between the grendel and the Ackley Improved. Does that equate to 100 to 150 fps velocity increase with the 123's?

[IMG][/IMG]
      Probably not, but we gotta squeeze every last ounce of efficiency from this great little case...haha.

That AI case does look pretty cool though.

Comment

• Drillboss
        Warrior
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by s3silver View Post
        No problem.

The 100 ttsx at 2950 should be interesting. Currently, I have the same pill going at ~2800 out of my 22" AR and it's already a performer. Have you taken anything with that load?
        Not me, I was just quoting the gentleman that designed the cartridge. Like Will Rogers once said, "all I know is what I read in the newspapers".

Comment

• Rickc
          Warrior
          • Aug 2016

Originally posted by s3silver View Post
          Probably not, but we gotta squeeze every last ounce of efficiency from this great little case...haha.

That AI case does look pretty cool though.
          Wildcatting is fun!

That AI is a grendel necked down to 6mm. Pushing berger 105's at.2850.

Another 100 fps out of the grendel with 123's sure would be nice

Comment

• Drift
            Warrior
            • Nov 2014

Another 100 fps with 123's would be nice indeed! Or the same velocity with 130's for us hunters. I was hoping some super powder would suffice... But if I'll have to keep my eye on this thread to see where the G Max goes.

Comment

• s3silver
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Rickc View Post

That AI is a grendel necked down to 6mm. Pushing berger 105's at.2850.

That's what I thought. That lighting sure is deceptive...

Comment

• s3silver
                Warrior
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Drift View Post
                Another 100 fps with 123's would be nice indeed! Or the same velocity with 130's for us hunters. I was hoping some super powder would suffice... But if I'll have to keep my eye on this thread to see where the G Max goes.

I agree. Guess we're all waiting for a report from sneaky on.

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Starting to dig into this- does anyone here have a 6.8 magazine--- both- metal, & plastic versions would be nice--- to measure from? OAL internal length - using calipers?

Comment

• s3silver
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

Wish I did. Are you hoping to get a little more oal with it?

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Yes, S3- I read a while back-- that 1-2 guys on here are using the 6.8 mags. Been busy at work last weeks. Sorry for the delayed response.

Comment

• Jericho
                        Unwashed
                        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                        Yes, S3- I read a while back-- that 1-2 guys on here are using the 6.8 mags. Been busy at work last weeks. Sorry for the delayed response.
                        Sneaky, any update on the AR variant of the Grendel Max?

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Sorry, not much to report. Wife had me drop that idea like a handful of boiling water- so I could focus on the home remodeling projects.

I do know that it will be most beneficial to the bullets we use that have a short jump to rifling- 95 Vmax, my tweaked GMX pills, .etc...

If your mag won't let you load 38-50 K longer, meh...

I have some new bullets from Makers- the T Rex in 95 grn. LFP's. And some Lehigh controlled Chaos LFP's in 110 grn. all chamber a bit short.

I know 2 local prototype machinists that could tweak my dies for an in -between shoulder angle , between the Saamie and the AI. Then the idea of 40K ahead, for the AR only. My thinking was, - Practice with std loads, then get ready for hunt season and use the hotter items. All while fireforming some brass for the future.

I know the bolt is the weakest link, but only a few warm rounds per year will be fine .

My hunt pal blade 2 is building an AR in Grrr, and a boltie in CZ giuze. It's an AK unit- he likes it a ton, but I convinced him to re-barrel it to the mighty Grrr, max.

Or Max lite. Then we could share hunting ammo if the need arises. That's all I have for now.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                            Chieftain
                            • Apr 2012

The good thing about the Grendel-Max is I can utilize standard Grendel Dies although I have Wilson straight lines seating die which I am sure helps with the accuracy. When you start with the AI or altered shoulder age you will have to look at custom dies. I could load for my Grendel-Max and a standard Grendel with the same set of dies with just a seperate shell holder for each which is the most practical way to go as far as I can see.
                            http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                            Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• Friendly
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jul 2018

so, how much more velocity did you eck out and what was the increase in recoil?

Comment

Working...
                              X