X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

I believe AA used to sell factory 90 TNT back in the day...they performed gel testing. Maybe someone has that photo stashed away and can post it?
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
      Warrior
      • Aug 2015

What's the advantage of 130gr versus 123? The advertised BC is .554 (130gr) vs .506 (123gr) so I can't imagine that's enough to make up for the slower velocity out of the heavier bullet.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
        What's the advantage of 130gr versus 123? The advertised BC is .554 (130gr) vs .506 (123gr) so I can't imagine that's enough to make up for the slower velocity out of the heavier bullet.
        Less wind drift, more supersonic reach. When the BCs are that close, you don't see huge differences in flight, but the 130gr will stay supersonic longer.

Berger's average G1 BC is .564 for the 130gr AR Hybrid, but I use the more useful G7 BC of .290 for shooting past 600yds.

Not sure why I'm talking about this in the 90gr TNT thread, but there it is.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BjornF16
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Shot 90 TNT through mock wall (2 layers of drywall separated by 2x4, no insulation) using my 12" Lilja. Had cardboard "back board" in front of barrier to catch any fragments.

Single drywall exit hole (no tumbling) and single hole in cardboard (no tumbling).

Disappointing. Need to get some 95 V-Max and try it. Maybe I'll try some 123 A-Max...

Comment

• BjornF16
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

Re-attempted with Hornady 123 A-Max. Better results.

Larger exit hole in drywall compared to TNT.

Also, broke up into at least two pieces. Main bullet tumbling as it went through cardboard. I'd really like to see what 95 V-Max would do in same situation.

Here's pic of cardboard "backstop"

drywall_test1.jpg

Here's exit from drywall

drywall_test2.jpg
            Last edited by BjornF16; 02-10-2017, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• hikfromstik
              Warrior
              • Oct 2016

They are supposed to open very quickly . They have the small micro cuts near the tip that aid in quick expansion . I hope someone does a gel test on these soon on YouTube.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

Alexander Arms did a gel test on these when they loaded them as factory ammo. I can probably dig up a photo next week on my work computer. One-inch neck, small basketball size of a temp cavity. Yeah, I'd say very nice for varmints and close-range self-defense.

Very happy Federal loading this. Sure, they could easily make the nose sleeker and squeeze a lot more BC out of this pill, but not a bad bullet for what it is.
                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• BjornF16
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

The 123 A-Max opened larger and broke up when shooting through drywall...I would be hesitant to use TNT as self-defense round inside house

Comment

• Joseph5
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2012

The cavity probably got plugged going through the first sheet of drywall so no expansion. That is why the AMAX performed better, no cavity. I bet a 95gr VMAX would fragment really good.

Comment

• hikfromstik
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2016

Alright guys I shot about 20 of these yesterday and I'm very surprised how well they shot . All groups were sub moa @100yds with my Lilja AR24 . It was gusty winds around 10 - 15mph too . The Howa mini didn't do as good but still held about 1.5 moa @100yds. Another interesting thing is they shot almost same point of impact as Hornady sst . When more places start to get these the price should go down.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

I've done water jug test on both the 95 grain V-Max and 90 grain TNT and the performance is very similar at 50 yards. Compared to a Pistol Caliber Carbine or Shotgun I'd prefer the 6.5 Grendel with either 90 gr TNT or 95 gr VMax. The 85 grain Sierra Varmint is another good bullet with similar performance. I've tested the 100 grain Nosler hunting bullet and I like the way it performs at 6.5 Grendel velocities.

I live in a remote area and in my situation there is no down side to a AR-15 compared to a PCC or Shotgun except noise and muzzle blast. I have my electronic ear muffs close at hand and would not look forward to discharging any of them indoors without hearing protection.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Home defense guns should be suppressed as a rule.
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Not an option where I live but I would if I could. Maybe is the HPA passes.

Comment

• BjornF16
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2011

Have done a lot of backyard ballistics and find the overwhelming majority of hollow point bullets get plugged up going through drywall and then act like FMJ. I was hoping that would not be the case with TNT.

I really like V-Max as home defense bullet...I have them in 223 and 300 BLK. If someone doesn't offer 95 V-Max as factory load soon, I guess I'll have to load up my own.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                                Administrator
                                • Feb 2011

Dug up a gel test photo of the 90 TNT back when Alexander Arms used to load it. Shot at 100 yards from a 16" barrel.

The green dye they used kind of blurs out the fragments, but you get the general idea. Thing is explosive. And quickly.
                                Attached Files
                                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Working...
                                X