X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drift
    Warrior
    • Nov 2014

LR55. Have you seen the breakthrough last week with the laboratory production of metallic hydrogen? Nano particles of the stuff embedded in smokeless powder should increase the velocity of a bullet by a factor of @ least 4, maybe as high as 16.
    Yes I know there are a lot of down sides. Recoil. Barrel life.
    Still..A rifle that could shoot some ammo that was antipersonnel and some with anti-armor potential would eliminate a number of heavy weapons from the battle field...Not that edged weapons will ever leave the battle field.

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Drift View Post
      LR55. Have you seen the breakthrough last week with the laboratory production of metallic hydrogen? Nano particles of the stuff embedded in smokeless powder should increase the velocity of a bullet by a factor of @ least 4, maybe as high as 16.
      Yes I know there are a lot of down sides. Recoil. Barrel life.
      Still..A rifle that could shoot some ammo that was antipersonnel and some with anti-armor potential would eliminate a number of heavy weapons from the battle field...Not that edged weapons will ever leave the battle field.
      Drift:

No, didn't see it. Another problem you run into with velocity is in terms of the projectile. Speeds like that cause a bunch of air friction, and centrifugal (hope that is the right word) force that would disintegrate a conventional bullet.

Penetrating modern armor is no easy task, either.

I doubt anyone will eliminate heavy weapons for a long time to come.

Maybe they can put it into a knife so when you drop your rifle or pistol when being overrun to prevent fratricide, your knife has double its lethality. Put it into a tomahawk and you don't need a rifle or pistol. Such a weapon may be banned by international treaty, it would be so dangerous. Could even have a neutron tomahawk. Kills only people and doesn't damage material.

Keep an eye on the technology though. It is the type of leap ahead stuff that causes change.

LR55

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

I prefer a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

But, the idea of rail guns is exciting;

Now, shrink that down to the size of a rifle...and a tomahawk, unbeatable.

Comment

• GSPHunter
          Warrior
          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Klem View Post
          I prefer a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

But, the idea of rail guns is exciting;

Now, shrink that down to the size of a rifle...and a tomahawk, unbeatable.
          +1 may have to be a guided munition though....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdZo_keUoEs

Comment

• stanc
            Banned
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
            Stan / Guys: I have said this before on the forum. A couple of times too. The future will lie in some sort of directed energy.

I think this is the direction we are already taking although it is just R&D.
            A couple of times, eh? Well, if I saw it before, it must've been erased from my memory...

Comment

Working...
            X