• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hikfromstik
    Warrior
    • Oct 2016

Best steel target paint .

I've been experimenting with different types of paint that covers in one pass and dries to a hard shell like finish . The best I found is some $3 Appliance white epoxy ( Krylon ) in a can at walmart . It covers very good and when the bullet hits it marks good with a big white powder dusting . The bad side is it takes a bit longer to dry . My next favorite is the $4 upside down marker paint that utility companies mark lines and trees with it . It blast out fast , thick and drys fast . Don't waste your money on the cheap 99 cent stuff. It's so thin that it takes multiple coats to cover and you can still see through it . The white shows up best and laser range finders pick lighter colors up best.
  • ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

I agree on the white marker paint that sprays upside down. Covers and dries fast, yet you don't lose too much extra around the bullet splash.

Richard
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• hikfromstik
      Warrior
      • Oct 2016

I'm using both . During shooting I use the upside down marker paint to cover/dry fast and after we get done shooting I put a coat of the white appliance epoxy paint on to dry to a hard shell so next shooting it'll be dry .

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Never would have believed there would be videos on painting steel targets.

I have used everything from dollar a can enamel through the more expensive appliance epoxy paint. Used a bunch of ground marking paint too. Have not noticed any real difference in how much gets chipped off between all the paints. All seem to chip off just as much as the others.

Cheapo dollar a can enamel is OK if the sun is on the steel and has heated the steel up. Given the steel is in the sun and hot, you can make a couple of passes on the steel quickly. That said, I don't think it is very good and you end up paying as much if not more than one coat spray paints because you need to make two or three passes on the steel. I don't use it anymore

Ground marking paint is pretty good because it puts on a nice heavy coat faster than the other spray paints. And you have florescent colors which are a good choice if you shoot long distances in cloudy conditions. Never noticed it to dry any faster. Problem with ground marking paint is just that, it works best when spraying downward. Forget trying to paint round dots with it unless you lay the target flat on the ground.

The appliance paint covers with one pass too but I found it to take the longest to dry and it is more expensive than the other paints. Never found it to hold up any better when shot.

Have settled in to the Rustoleum 2 X paint that they claim has a filler with the paint. It goes on with one coat, dries a bit faster than the appliance epoxy, and since it is used horizontally you can paint details on the steel easier than ground marking paint.

LR55

Comment

• Bill257
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2015

Guys who run the range use a brush - coverage is understandably great. Yeah the 99 cent stuff covers as well as watered down skim milk - I try and get the next step up to touch up. Sticking a 1 or 2 inch orange target dot in the center makes a nice aiming point, however first direct hit takes it off.

Comment

• hikfromstik
              Warrior
              • Oct 2016

I put the small 1" or 2" orange stick on targets on the center with the paint still wet to "glue" it on . I'll have to try the 2x rustoleum. I'm still experimenting with different spray paint . The paint in the video cost $7 a can and with shipping cost I would have to buy a case to justify it , but it looks like some good stuff . Kilz makes a spray paint designed for covering stains and graffiti that I may buy my next Walmart trip .

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                Never would have believed there would be videos on painting steel targets.

LR55
                Me too LOL,

Comment

• elfego baca
                  Unwashed
                  • Nov 2015

I buy the cheapest($.97) cans of flat black and flat white at Wal-Mart.
                  It works good for me!

Comment

• Drillboss
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2015

I use whatever can on the shelf is about empty (except for the grays and silvers).

Then I put a few rounds through the can.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Lucky me! A chance to add to the thread and show off my grandson's Shooting at one time!

For contrast and long range visibility, I prefer international orange and white marking paints.

Shown are pictures from yesterday of my grandson's first 3 shots at 500 yards with my 22-250 and...

...his very first ever shots with my .308, also at 500 yards.

Target is a 10" diameter plate, and we spotted these hits quite easily through the rifle scope at 24x.

I wish to further brag that my grandson had fired the 22-250 a total of 4 shots, before stretching it to 500 yards.

Did I mention the paint was orange?

ETA: I neglected to mention that his group with the .308 measured @ 3/5 MOA - roughly half the size of the group I'd shot just before. How did his besting me with my own rifle on his first ever attempt make me feel? Proud as hell, that's how!
                      Last edited by NugginFutz; 02-13-2017, 03:24 AM. Reason: more bragging.
                      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Drillboss
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                        Lucky me! A chance to add to the thread and show off my grandson's Shooting at one time!

For contrast and long range visibility, I prefer international orange and white marking paints.

Shown are pictures from yesterday of my grandson's first 3 shots at 500 yards with my 22-250 and...

...his very first ever shots with my .308, also at 500 yards.

Target is a 10" diameter plate, and we spotted these hits quite easily through the rifle scope at 24x.

I wish to further brag that my grandson had fired the 22-250 a total of 4 shots, before stretching it to 500 yards.

Did I mention the paint was orange?

ETA: I neglected to mention that his group with the .308 measured @ 3/5 MOA - roughly half the size of the group I'd shot just before. How did his besting me with my own rifle on his first ever attempt make me feel? Proud as hell, that's how!
                        Very nice. Good paint choice too.

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

A few years ago I was tasked with selecting the paint for our state steel match. Since regulations say white paint I selected every white paint I could find at our 4 local hardware stores plus WalMart. I tested on both cardboard and steel. The easy winner was RustOleum white primer. I tested Blacks also and RustOleum Black Primer won. They are generally a little cheaper than paint. Since then I do an annual test, and the RustOleum 2x paints now are as good as the primers in every test and come in many more colors. I have not checked drying times, and all my testing has been done in temps above 70 degrees, so I don't have a good answer to drying times, but I am sure on coverage. Steel targets at state matches must be covered quickly and these paints work great for that. In warm temps, they dry fast enough that they are dry before the next group is setup and shoots.

Comment

• hikfromstik
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2016

Nice shooting for anybody . He may win some medals. I like that gong stand . I saw one on midway for sale for the gong with stand for $100 not too long ago. We use my friends 12"x20" portable silhouette to shoot 300+yds . I have a field behind my house that I have one 4" and one 8"permanent gong @280yds . We will move the silhouette around to find tree barriers (woods) to block the wind if we want to crank the yardage to 500+yds. I've even built a nice heavy shooting bench that has helped my accuracy more than anything. I used plans from Google to build it . If I ever figure out how to post pics from my Android I'll post a pic of it .

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

A quality outdoor paint from the can with a roller works well, but creates a logistics nightmare at the range.

I often use the provided paint at North Springs, with the provided golf carts, or my own vehicle to drive to 1000yds on the flat range.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X