X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

ETA: I neglected to mention that his group with the .308 measured @ 3/5 MOA - roughly half the size of the group I'd shot just before. How did his besting me with my own rifle on his first ever attempt make me feel? Proud as hell, that's how!

By the look on his face I would say he is not only one hell of a good shot but he was enjoying himself immensely. I have a feeling we are going to see more of him in the shooting community. You have every right to be proud, I know I would be. Great pictures and story, it made my day

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
      A few years ago I was tasked with selecting the paint for our state steel match. Since regulations say white paint I selected every white paint I could find at our 4 local hardware stores plus WalMart. I tested on both cardboard and steel. The easy winner was RustOleum white primer. I tested Blacks also and RustOleum Black Primer won. They are generally a little cheaper than paint. Since then I do an annual test, and the RustOleum 2x paints now are as good as the primers in every test and come in many more colors. I have not checked drying times, and all my testing has been done in temps above 70 degrees, so I don't have a good answer to drying times, but I am sure on coverage. Steel targets at state matches must be covered quickly and these paints work great for that. In warm temps, they dry fast enough that they are dry before the next group is setup and shoots.
      Bill:

Thats what we are using on our Biathlon steel these days. RustOleum 2X white and black. Sometimes we have to wipe the steel down with a cloth when it is raining and snowing or both, then paint it. Seems to go on to damp steel well enough to cover without dripping. Have used it down to five or so degrees F without any problems at all which is pretty surprising to me. Not sure how long it takes to dry in the snow or rain / snow which is common where we compete but it is dry by the end of the day.

LR55

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
        Warrior
        • Feb 2017

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
        Lucky me! A chance to add to the thread and show off my grandson's Shooting at one time!

For contrast and long range visibility, I prefer international orange and white marking paints.

Shown are pictures from yesterday of my grandson's first 3 shots at 500 yards with my 22-250 and...

...his very first ever shots with my .308, also at 500 yards.

Target is a 10" diameter plate, and we spotted these hits quite easily through the rifle scope at 24x.

I wish to further brag that my grandson had fired the 22-250 a total of 4 shots, before stretching it to 500 yards.

Did I mention the paint was orange?

ETA: I neglected to mention that his group with the .308 measured @ 3/5 MOA - roughly half the size of the group I'd shot just before. How did his besting me with my own rifle on his first ever attempt make me feel? Proud as hell, that's how!
        Great post.

All I can add is cheap paint is a waste of time...

Comment

Working...
        X