• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chrazy-Chris
    Warrior
    • Aug 2015

Favorite 95gr V-Max Recipes & Performance

Hello all,

I'm thinking of diversifying my reload ammo and might go with the 95gr V-Max. I like that it still has a little of a boat-tail to help with a higher BC. What kind of results are you seeing? MV, accuracy, velocity? What's your favorite recipe for them? I like the idea of having something flatter-shooting and thinner-jacketed than my current 123 SST loads.
  • rickt300
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

Me too as the 95 grain VMax is the easiest to find under 140 grain bullet in my area. Look around here on the forum and you can find some load data for this bullet.

Comment

• 454bore
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

29.7 grains XBR8208 shoot well in my rifle.

Comment

• wheelguner
        Warrior
        • Oct 2011

95gr VMAX

Hornady 95gr VMAX Load 1.pdf
        Here is a load that works well for me. Pay attention to the OAL needed to avoid jamming into the chamber throat (works fine in bot of my AA Grendels). This was the first load and it shot to satisfaction group wise and has now dropped 6 coyotes in their tracks so I haven't bothered to experiment further.

Comment

• Maddvaper
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2016

95 gr vmax load

30.3 gr of Benchmark and a CCI standard primer is the load I use on those. Shot two deer back to back last year one at 225 yrds and one at 325 yrds with this load ,a lil light for deer though neither ran over 25 yards.It's an awesome varmint rd.

Comment

• Constitutionalist
            Warrior
            • Nov 2016

My most accurate load with this bullet is:

30.0 gr. H335
            CCI 450
            Hornady brass

COL 2.225"

.7" 5 shot groups at 100 yds

Have fun! Be safe!
            Last edited by Constitutionalist; 02-16-2017, 01:22 AM.

Comment

• Hoser1
              Bloodstained
              • May 2015

I shoot mine over 26.6 grs of 10X, CCI 450, not sure of the FPS as I don't have a chronograph as of yet, a very short jump to the lands, shoots very well.........

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

The 95 V Max needs to be checked for contact to rifling - before loading. As all bullets do. My SAAMI chamber results in an OAL -same as the Handbooks have+ 2.21 max- IIRC.

Can be loaded .010 deeper ---- 10 k----- to not have an issue with stuck pills, over pressures , etc.

Don't guess on this bullet, it's picky on a few fronts. OVERWATCHER uses this at long range also-,,,,,,,, He called me 2 years ago to see if I had a stash. Supply was low then,,

I did, then he found some---- it's Idaho dudes! He found a few hundred to keep on stacking critters. I'm backup, if he needs a -couple hundo.

Another side note- My Faxon tube lets me load them to almost no neck contact!!! Ahhhhhhh, What did BFT and I create ?

The bbl., was not made for a shorter pill, med. was the goal. Bft missed a few points, I added my fixes. The Faxon Tooobz are Awesome doods !
                Last edited by sneaky one; 02-18-2017, 12:32 AM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by wheelguner View Post
                  [ATTACH]8658[/ATTACH]
                  Here is a load that works well for me. Pay attention to the OAL needed to avoid jamming into the chamber throat (works fine in bot of my AA Grendels). This was the first load and it shot to satisfaction group wise and has now dropped 6 coyotes in their tracks so I haven't bothered to experiment further.
                  Beautiful PDF there. COL was what I was expecting, since the 95gr VMAX has more of a tangent ogive.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• USMCSgt85
                    Unwashed
                    • Jun 2015

The 95 gr V-Max is what I am experimenting with currently. Using Lapua Brass, Remington 7 1/2 primers, 8208 powder in a Shilen 20" match barrel:30.3 grs gave me 2770 fps average velocity, 57 fps exteme spread and a SD of 20 fps. The average for three 3 shot groups at 100 yds was .689" CTC with two of the groups measuring .610" and .615". Tomorrow I will try CFE.
                    Sight Alignment
                    Sight Picture
                    Squeeze...Bullseye!!

USMCSgt85
                    2111/8531

Comment

• wheelguner
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2011

Thanks LRRPF52

Thanks for the comment LRRPF52.
                      Me Holding Yote.jpgGON Coyote Cull.jpg
                      These are the only two coyotes I have pics of but the total that have taken with the 95gr VMAX is up to 12 and all have dropped in their tracks. I know there is room to increase the powder charge for more velocity but it shoots flat, groups well and kills so haven't bothered.

Comment

Working...
                      X