• Rickc
    Warrior
    • Aug 2016

Shooting an AR off the bench

Just a little video for your entertainment

• A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Thanks for the vid sir, I can see those really helping folks make some great groups on the bench but I use my rifle for hunting that's what I built itfor and I cant see myself logging that extra weight on my rifle while hunting not to mention they would hang up on everything while hunting.

With the way my handguard and buttstock are made I don't see those as needed on my setup when I'm at the range but I bet they would work good for guys that have round handguard and a buttstock that doesn't have a flat area to sit better on the bags.

Again thanks for the vid it was intresting.

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Rick:

I watched it. Bag riders on the front and rear, very heavy barrel, light recoiling 5.56. Not sure the shooter allowed a totally 'free' recoil. And I noted he had to adjust the front rest for every shot. No one is arguing with it given the conditions of heavy rifle, light recoiling cartridge, and the front and rear bag riders -- riding in bags that fit the bag riders. Remove the bag riders, take a couple of pounds off of the rifle, and the use of this bench rest technique is no longer effective. No one will argue with that, either.

So, your point is?

LR55

Comment

• Rickc
        Warrior
        • Aug 2016

My grendel too is set up as a hog slayer. I don't shoot it at.the range either.

But since this is the target and competition forum i felt that some would find what is possible interesting.

Comment

• Rickc
          Warrior
          • Aug 2016

You might have thought the vid was an advertisement for EGW. Far from it. Part of Robert Whitley's benchrest AR suggestions. Here is a link. Funny no one has mentioned his groups.

Comment

• jpm98vmi
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2016

For what it's worth, JP has a new product of similar function. More geared for the "athletic shooting sports". Interesting concept.

jpm

Comment

• Rickc
              Warrior
              • Aug 2016

A large part of my grendel is JP. If i was a 3 gun or PRS or other tactical competitor it would be JP all the way.

That is an awesome video

Comment

• NugginFutz
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Rickc View Post
                My grendel too is set up as a hog slayer. I don't shoot it at.the range either.

But since this is the target and competition forum i felt that some would find what is possible interesting.
                +1

I have a few different AR's in various configurations. One is a seriously accurate 5.56 table queen. Thanks for the post.
                If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Thanks Rick, interesting video.

I love those serious front rests with the adjustable windage and elevation levers (except for the price...upwards of $1,000). I'll stick with the cheaper stock rests and ARs - It's all relative.

Comment

• Rickc
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                    Thanks Rick, interesting video.

I love those serious front rests with the adjustable windage and elevation levers (except for the price...upwards of $1,000). I'll stick with the cheaper stock rests and ARs - It's all relative.
                    I had the Caldwell. Piece of junk. I unbolted the adjustable rest and threw it in the trash and had a machine shop make me a bushing where i could bolt a regular front rest in its place. I have seen the ones you speak of on Accurate Shooter but after my experience i am sceptable.

A good adjustable front rest works fine for me. I use the Sinclair lightweight with some quality protektor bags.

Comment

• Rickc
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2016

Here is my table queen

A 7-42 VX-6 doesn't hurt when you are trying for.small groups.

[IMG][/IMG]
                      Last edited by Rickc; 02-09-2017, 11:38 PM.

Comment

• Rickc
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2016

And my little grendel hog gun

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• Klem
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

We use the same rests.

A couple of minor differences;

I have the rest reversed 180 degrees with leg of the front rest pointing directly at me. This allows you to use the main wheel for gross elevation and the screw foot of the closest leg for minor elevation adjustment. This also puts the main wheel clamp closer to the shooter which is probably why they designed it on that side.

I prefer Cordura ears on the rest because it's less friction than leather in the rain. I also use talcum powder on the ears for smoother tracking. A small travel container of powder in the range bag lasts forever.

I don't like the PRS stock for exactly what is happening in your photo. The protective cover at the base of the stock slides forward during recoil when it rides the bag. I also find it heavy and less practical when compared against Magpul's A2 stock with the generous container space, or a decent carbine stock.

Comment

• Rickc
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                            We use the same rests.

A couple of minor differences;

I have the rest reversed 180 degrees with leg of the front rest pointing directly at me. This allows you to use the main wheel for gross elevation and the screw foot of the closest leg for minor elevation adjustment. This also puts the main wheel clamp closer to the shooter which is probably why they designed it on that side.

I prefer Cordura ears on the rest because it's less friction than leather in the rain. I also use talcum powder on the ears for smoother tracking. A small travel container of powder in the range bag lasts forever.

I don't like the PRS stock for exactly what is happening in your photo. The protective cover at the base of the stock slides forward during recoil when it rides the bag. I also find it heavy and less practical when compared against Magpul's A2 stock with the generous container space, or a decent carbine stock.

I too use a little chalk on the bags. I like the leather. Have cordura bags but the rifle seems to slide better on the leather. but then again i don't usually shoot in the rain.

I like the way my rest is set up. Easy to reach the adjustment wheel and lock it.down. i use a little.squeeze on the rear bag for my final elevation adjustments.

You are absolutely right about that piece on the prs. Aggravating Have to keep an eye on it. I have come to prefer the A2.

I didn't build that upper. Bought it from Robert Whitley. It shoots bugholes with every bullet i have tried. Really likes the 105 lapua scenar L. 2850 fps with an SD of 6 on 10 rounds.

Shoots 95 gr game kings less than half inch.

Wish i knew his secrets
                            Last edited by Rickc; 02-10-2017, 02:51 AM.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

You are absolutely right about that piece on the prs. Aggravating Have to keep an eye on it. I have come to prefer the A2.
                              I had the same issue with my PRS. I drilled and tapped a set screw into the bottom, aligned with a slot. No more sliding cover. If I ever need to go back to the monopod, it's a simple matter to loosen the screw and remove the cover.

I didn't build that upper. Bought it from Robert Whitley. It shoots bugholes with every bullet i have tried. Really likes the 105 lapua scenar L. 2850 fps with an SD of 6 on 10 rounds.

Shoots 95 gr game kings less than half inch.

Wish i knew his secrets
                              Really like that side charger. Did you happen to mention which chamber he used on that upper? I did not see it...
                              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
                              X