• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • explorecaves
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by 85_Ranger4x4 View Post
    QPQ is a treatment, not a coating.
    treatment/coating.....semantics (and it does add some to the surface, albeit very minimally of between 5-25 um of thickness depending on time in the bath: http://www.burlingtoneng.com/wear_resistance.html ).... point of the post was to get data to verify these were built to spec since I have not seen anyone post up measurements.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
      Warrior
      • Nov 2016

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
      treatment/coating.....semantics (and it does add some to the surface, albeit very minimally of between 5-25 um of thickness depending on time in the bath: http://www.burlingtoneng.com/wear_resistance.html ).... point of the post was to get data to verify these were built to spec since I have not seen anyone post up measurements.
      I am sure everyone here can measure um's in their garage.

I don't think the "short chamber" threads are even using the group buy bolts.

Comment

• explorecaves
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Yes, but I have seen several instances where the bolt face depth has had several mil difference between different manufacturer bolts. I do not recall if it has been stated this manufacturer has made grendel bolts before. Just a thought that it might be beneficial to find the problem earlier rather than later if there is one and send a large batch at once instead of several individual shipments. I am not expecting an issue as I am sure BFT has the bases covered but would easily be something that could be overlooked.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

Installed one of the new bolts in my Faxon 16 and went out to the local woods this afternoon for some blasting. Few slow shots by me and then the kid did a mag dump with Wolf 100 FMJ. No hiccups, worked beautiful!
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• tucansam
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2016

12" Faxon came, still waiting on bolt. Cracked the parts safe and realized I need a bolt carrier. What are you all using? Are there good deals out there on solid gear? Haven't bought a BCG separate in years.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
              Warrior
              • Nov 2016

Originally posted by tucansam View Post
              12" Faxon came, still waiting on bolt. Cracked the parts safe and realized I need a bolt carrier. What are you all using? Are there good deals out there on solid gear? Haven't bought a BCG separate in years.
              Primary had a WMD NiB carrier for a decent price, I think around $70. A phosphate carrier ran around $50 (Anderson, which I have no problem with). So I splurged the $20 for the WMD since I have ever had a NiB carrier and they look neat.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                Chieftain
                • May 2012

took it to the range shot a box of wolf steel and some hand loads, hand loads were 28gr xbr with nosler 123 CC chronographed at ave 2200 out of the 12.5 inch barrel,wolf grouped about inch and a half at 50 yards handloads were a little under an inch was just running a milspec trigger and mostly function testing, all rounds chambered and fired and cycled the action but failed to lock the bolt back on an empty mag most of the time so probably a breaking issue as everything is new

on a side note one of the wolf steel case rounds cracked upon firing which was odd.... has anyone else experienced case failure with wolf steel this was my first time shooting it
                Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

I've seen a lot of cracked Wolf steel cases which were fired in three to five different 6.5 Grendel AR-15's.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2012

I found it odd since I have fire formed Grendel class from steel 7.62x39 without cracking them.....
                    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• ScoutH57
                      Bloodstained
                      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
                      I found it odd since I have fire formed Grendel class from steel 7.62x39 without cracking them.....
                      Must be softer steel on the ones you used I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                      X