X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

The new line of Vortex Viper PST Gen IIs are about perfect for 6.5 Grendel AR15s.

Vortex built their own robots to apply epoxy to the optical elements when bedding the lenses into the tubes.

NightForce and Vortex are some of the only companies that I know of that do this, which is what it takes to defeat the reciprocating mass effects of bolt carriers slamming into the barrel extension.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• newb
      Warrior
      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      The new line of Vortex Viper PST Gen IIs are about perfect for 6.5 Grendel AR15s.

Vortex built their own robots to apply epoxy to the optical elements when bedding the lenses into the tubes.

NightForce and Vortex are some of the only companies that I know of that do this, which is what it takes to defeat the reciprocating mass effects of bolt carriers slamming into the barrel extension.
      Is this accurate? Or was it once accurate and things changed? Or did they send this robot to their build house or acquire that build house?

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by newb View Post
        Is this accurate? Or was it once accurate and things changed? Or did they send this robot to their build house or acquire that build house?

• least expensive are Chinese-made Crossfire scopes
        • next (significant) step up are Phillipine-made Diamondback riflescopes
        • Viper scopes are another step-up in quality (also Phillipine-made)
        • at the top of the line-up are the (absolutely world-class) Razor HD riflescopes that are manufactured in Japan.
        Straight from the horse's mouth at SHOT. If I post something, keep in mind that I have personal experience with it that I will indicate it is either anecdotal or large sample, and state the sample sizes as best as I can, or it is from an industry source with the authority and knowledge to make a definitive statement.

If you want to read a great article, Sniper Magazine did several on optics, where Tom Beckstrand traveled to as many of the main optics makers as possible, and asked their engineers how they design, test, and manufacture scopes to deal with the various challenges of high grade optics and rifle recoil abuse. Tom was one of the Company Commanders in my unit at Fort Bragg many years back.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Vortex invested in their own spec CNC robot to epoxy in the optical elements for the AMG, Razor, and Viper PST Gen II scope lines.

That is what it takes to deal with the multiple recoil impulses from a self-loading firearm that have a reciprocating mass.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• newb
            Warrior
            • Feb 2015

Ateup- Very nice looking build! I look forward to seeing the range report once you choose which glass to use.

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            Straight from the horse's mouth at SHOT.
            I know. I was after more clarification/update on their changes vs the info I read somewhere else. I'll PM you so we don't highjack this thread.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Vortex product lines have broadened since then to include complete US Manufacture for the HD Razor AMG.

I've never had any issues with the Viper and Viper PST, to include:

6.5-20x44 Mil Dot Viper
              2.5-10x44 Viper PST MRAD SFP
              5-15x44 Mil Dot Viper
              2.5-10x32 Viper PST FFP

These have been shot from high temps in summer, to pretty low-end temps in the winter, all on AR15s or AR10s in 6.5 Grendel or .260 Remington.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Ateup
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Bwild97 View Post
                That is a very nice rifle!! Well done!! it has a very unique look, difficult to do for an AR15.
                very nice compliment. thank you. I had a certain look I was going for.

Comment

• Ateup
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by newb View Post
                  Ateup- Very nice looking build! I look forward to seeing the range report once you choose which glass to use.

I know. I was after more clarification/update on their changes vs the info I read somewhere else. I'll PM you so we don't highjack this thread.
                  Feel free to hijack!

Comment

• AZBackcountry
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2016

Awesome looking rifle with quality bones. I really like the detail on the lower. It should shoot clovers at 100 yards with the right glass, and ammo. Buy MADE IN USA glass. If your mentor helped you with the build I think you're in good hands.
                    Start buying your ammo now. My Grendel likes Hornady 123gr AMAX and SST factory loaded ammo. I reload and bought them for the brass. The Hornady 123gr 6.5mm bullets have a high ballistics coefficient. I haven't tried the Hornady Black ammo 123gr ELD Match yet because they are out of stock. At $1.10/Round it looks like a good source of brass. I long range hunt but practice with match ammo.
                    Life is fun when your ammo budget is more than your house payment.

Comment

• pianoman9701
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2017

Nice build.

Comment

• Texas
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2016

Very nice, it would probably look very angry from the muzzle end!

Comment

Working...
                        X