X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahillock
    Warrior
    • Jan 2016

USMC Begins Process To Issue M27 IAR to Every Rifleman; Issues RFI To Industry

• stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

"Likely, the purpose of the 11,000 rifle RFI is to explore further options for manufacturing IAR-type rifles to further replace the remaining M249 SAWs."

Comment

• Lightning8
      Warrior
      • Jun 2015

Just issue the M27 IAR to the units deploying - issue to units deployed and rotate the rest through inspect nd rebuild. That was done with M4s and M240Bs when there was not enough for all.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Soldier systems gets another story wrong yet again, but hey, it probably generated way more hits than if they just said it was meant to replace SAWs in dismounted units.

RFI is Request For Information, not even a Request For Proposal.

I remember the Defense Review articles back when they said the USMC was going to replace M16s with AK47s from Arsenal (lol), or their M9s with .45 GAP Glocks (lol).

It never ends.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Also from CWO5 Wade:
          There is much more to the "Uber Squad" story; most notably the training changes that I must conduct in order to ensure all of the Marines know how to execute all of the combat tasks I've added to them by increasing the capability of their weapons and optics. We are going to install 1-8 variable power optics on their M27's, for one example, and that is going to require more training. Anyone can be the Automatic Rifleman, the Grenadier, the DM, or the Rifleman based on the situation...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/200...ge=2#i66668686

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
            Warrior
            • Aug 2015

"...an entire Marine Infantry Battalion was equipped with the IAR instead of their issue M4s. The experiment was obviously a success"

Why was it such a success? What does the IAR do that the M4 doesn't? They both put 5.56 down range as fast as the trigger group will allow (if they want full auto, change the M4 triggers from burst to auto like the old GAU's) and with as much capacity as the magazine that feeds it holds. It seems like they're looking to spend my taxpayer money on "upgraded" weapons systems which are nearly identical to the ones they already have. The piston system doesn't really make that big of a difference, does it?

Comment

• ah1whiskey
              Warrior
              • Sep 2015

i hope it goes over better than obamas pink uniforms !!!

Comment

• stanc
                Banned
                • Apr 2011

It's Really Happening...

Comment

• Azgeek
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
                  "...an entire Marine Infantry Battalion was equipped with the IAR instead of their issue M4s. The experiment was obviously a success"

Why was it such a success? What does the IAR do that the M4 doesn't? They both put 5.56 down range as fast as the trigger group will allow (if they want full auto, change the M4 triggers from burst to auto like the old GAU's) and with as much capacity as the magazine that feeds it holds. It seems like they're looking to spend my taxpayer money on "upgraded" weapons systems which are nearly identical to the ones they already have. The piston system doesn't really make that big of a difference, does it?
                  For sustained full auto fire, reliability probably helps. Is it worth the cost? I certainly don't believe so and its in direct conflict with their JSATDS as stated on the very last page:

"The focus is now on Leap Ahead technologies versus incremental improvements. The JSATDS shifts our investments to core technologies for a near, mid and future focus on unfulfilled operational needs based on current and future threat assessments."

They are so corrupt that they don't even hide it anymore!

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

Does this thread have anything to do with the 6.5 Grendel cartridge?

Comment

Working...
                    X