Wolf WPA 100gr 6.5G - long distance performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdelong
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

Wolf WPA 100gr 6.5G - long distance performance?

sorry for the newb question, new to the 6.5G. I am waiting for the 12" group buy and managed to determine I also "need" an 18" Odinworks barrel/BCG combo. It looks like the 18" will be ready before the 12".

I have a case of 100g Wolf. Has anyone taken this stuff out past 300Y? 400-500Y? Just curious if worth spending the time on or if I need to go ahead and buy some 123gr AMAX or SST for that. I understand that "long distance" is all relative, to me it is over the distances where I get to shoot

I searched for dupes and did not see one like this topic (habit from arfcom).

Thanks!

Jon
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Wolf steel-case is generally not considered a first choice for long-range. I'd use Hornady, assuming your gun likes it at 100 yds.

After you've established a baseline with a factory load your gun likes, only then would I try Wolf at long-range — and that after you've also verified Wolf at 100 yds.
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Eldonkey
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2016

I was out this weekend shooting wolf steel case.. Its a fun plinking round, and was shooting out to 300 with a bit of elevation change. We were consistently hitting a paper plate size grouping at that distance. Keep in mind I am a very average shooter. My grendel will shoot the hornady stuff @ about 1 moa. Not great but not terrible. Hope that helps!

Comment

• jdelong
        Warrior
        • Feb 2017

Understood. Was just curious if anyone had actually tried it at distance. I saw a few reviews elsewhere that indicated they shot a but under 2MOA with it at 100Y out of an 18" barrel.

thanks

Jon

Comment

• jdelong
          Warrior
          • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Eldonkey View Post
          I was out this weekend shooting wolf steel case.. Its a fun plinking round, and was shooting out to 300 with a bit of elevation change. We were consistently hitting a paper plate size grouping at that distance. Keep in mind I am a very average shooter. My grendel will shoot the hornady stuff @ about 1 moa. Not great but not terrible. Hope that helps!
          Thanks - that is what I was looking for, a "yeah, it is worth trying" or "forget about it" based on someone's actual experience. I am a very average shooter also, so expectations are low (of the guy behind the trigger anyway).

thanks!

Comment

• jdelong
            Warrior
            • Feb 2017

Update for anyone that cares...

I've now successfully taken my Grendel out to 450Y with boring repeatability. Rifle is an 18" Odin Works barrel, bolt, gas block, 16" keymod handguard, LaRue MBT trigger, and a shiny new Athlon Talos BRT FFP 4-14X scope (my first mil-dot for learning). This was done with Wolf WPA 100gr ammo in 15 round ASC mags and 100% via YHM 30 Cal Ti QD suppressor. Temp was mid-70's with a bit of wind, but mostly directly in our face vs. side. Target was 10" round AR500 target.

So, as a newbie to "long" range shooting, I don't feel too bad about it given that the Wolf ammo is around ~2MOA in my testing and a 10" target at 450Y does not leave too much room. Hits were around 90% - out of 30 rounds, a few misses in the beginning, adjustments made, then hits for the remainder.

I used iStrelok to come up with a basic chart to start with. Without measuring via chronograph, I used 2550 for the velocity, .410 for BC and filled in the rest. My observations are that my chart was orders of magnitude off from reality.

For example: vert. correction (MRAD) / reality (MRAD

100Y 0/0
            200Y .7/.3
            300Y 1.6/1.0
            350Y 2.2/1.1
            400Y 2.7/1.6
            450Y 3.3/1.9

these seem WAY off. I played with the variables in iStrelok and could not find any single variable that seemed so far off (or that changing made the chart fall into line with reality).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

In summary, i am very happy with the rig, it functioned 99.99% (one FTE out of close to 300 rounds in about 3 hours or so off an on). Happy with the scope also.

Thanks!

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Your wind calls will be more important than the accuracy of the rifle/ammo combination by far once you know your elevation drop.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• jdelong
                Warrior
                • Feb 2017

I figure it just gets harder from here. I also had my 18" LaRue shooting 77gr SMK's with a Nikon M223 with BDC reticle. First time hits all the way to 450y. There must not have been any wind as I did no wind adjustments and made hits a majority of the time

The noise off the steel and swinging was noticeably different, way more noise and swing with 6.5

Comment

• ricsmall
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

Good to see someone try the wolf at medium ranges. I shot a box out of my bartlein barreled home build and it was moa or slightly less. I don't see anything wrong with that for practice, ringing steel, or a shtf situation. BUT, most reports I've read were 1.5 moa or worse so I guess it depends on the rifle. It's nice not to have to police brass, (I did anyway just to keep my facility clean).

Richard
                  Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Most of the people are shooting it through chambers other than SAAMI. There have been people on AR15.com who were afraid to post their groups because they were so accurate, just sent me them in PMs.

One guy was banging away steel at 600yds with his AA 16" fluted light barrel, already burned through a whole case of them.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Errorhead
                      Bloodstained
                      • Dec 2012

"already burned through a whole case of them."
                      This is probably the reason he was shooting that accurate? Practice make per....well makes you a whole lot better.
                      Last edited by Errorhead; 04-04-2017, 11:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Nodak
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2016

I shot it out to 440yrds today and never missed a 12" plate not crazy good but I was surprised and happy due to the less than stellar 100yrd groups (4-5moa). It'll be my casual ammo of choice till I get more Black ammo stocked up.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2016

My guess is with the typical twist it may take a little bit longer than​ 100yrds to stabilize? Just a random noob guess.. yeah good to hear, I don't typically buy steel case (except for my 5.45, and 54r) but definitely will be trying some out for this cal. Its too cheap not to. REALLY looking to scratch that reloading itch with it as well. Kinda been out of the game for a few years looking forward to diving back in even deeper.
                          Good to know thanks for the reports.

Comment

• maxxmojo
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jul 2016

I originally posted this on another forum, but figured the data might be useful to some here:

So I was out on the range today and got some numbers from the Wolf 100 grain stuff. Ran 3 mags through the chronograph:

Mag 1
                            Avg: 2574 H:2650 L:2535 SD:39 ES:115
                            (1) 2562 (6) 2544
                            (2) 2535 (7) 2575
                            (3) 2650 (8) 2545
                            (4) 2642 (9) 2563
                            (5) 2567 (10)2560

Mag 2
                            Avg: 2556 H:2649 L:2523 SD: 38 ES:126
                            (1) 2532 (6) 2545 (11) 2599 (16) 2538
                            (2) 2533 (7) 2543 (12) 2590 (17) 2535
                            (3) 2530 (8) 2549 (13) 2649
                            (4) 2528 (9) 2526 (14) 2532
                            (5) 2626 (10) 2590 (15) 2523

Mag 3
                            Avg:2539 H:2630 L:2509 SD:36 ES:121
                            (1) 2511 (6) 2630
                            (2) 2509 (7) 2553
                            (3) 2515 (8) 2543
                            (4) 2559 (9) 2518
                            (5) 2514 (10) 2543

Rifle was an AA 16" Incursion upper on a Colt 6920 lower. Chrono was a MagnetoSpeed Sporter. Shots were zeroed at 100 yards and most were hitting 4.5 mils at 575 yards. Plugging in a 0.4 BC and 2539 fps into JBM puts it pretty close to what I was seeing.

While it's obviously not match ammunition I thought it performed pretty well. Target was 12" x 12" and from what I could tell it was hitting near the same spot most the time. I had some shots go over and very few under, but looking at the fps numbers it's pretty easy to see which ones those were.
                            Last edited by maxxmojo; 04-18-2017, 03:57 AM. Reason: Fudged a number

Comment

Working...
                            X