• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lightning8
    Warrior
    • Jun 2015

Originally posted by sportsnut View Post
    Just out of curiosity how much does Vortex offer for the LE/MIL discount?
    Per Vortex "Thank you for your time and interest in Vortex, but more importantly, thank you for your service!
    I have you set up for our direct discount program for Military (active, retired, vet) and Law Enforcement. You will receive 40% off MSRP on any Vortex Optics product. MSRP's are listed on our website (www.vortexoptics.com)"

Look on the Vortex webpage and see the FULL RETAIL price then subtract 40%. Note, full retail is higher than your normally see the cope prices.

Comment

• sportsnut
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Lightning8 View Post
      Per Vortex "Thank you for your time and interest in Vortex, but more importantly, thank you for your service!
      I have you set up for our direct discount program for Military (active, retired, vet) and Law Enforcement. You will receive 40% off MSRP on any Vortex Optics product. MSRP's are listed on our website (www.vortexoptics.com)"

Look on the Vortex webpage and see the FULL RETAIL price then subtract 40%. Note, full retail is higher than your normally see the cope prices.

Thank you!!

Did you have to call Vortex to get this set up?

Comment

• din
        Warrior
        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by sportsnut View Post
        Thank you!!

Did you have to call Vortex to get this set up?
        There's a link to the program on their website, but they've been updating it for a little while. You can still get the discount if you order through Promotive.

Comment

• Notellumcreek
          Unwashed
          • Dec 2016

Ok guys what about 1200$ and under? I think I'm gonna be ok'Ed by the big boss ala wife to spend a little more. Looking at the nighftorce shv also the vortex scopes in that range as well. Your thoughts?

Comment

• Lightning8
            Warrior
            • Jun 2015

I have been very successful picking up like new scopes from people "moving up". Scored two Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR1 MRAD used for $750 each in Atlanta area - there may be better deals but these were pretty good for me. Will be interesting to see if prices of VVPST" Gen 1 scopes go up or down as the Gen 2 scopes hit the market. You may want to look at Burris XTR 2 also.

Comment

• bakabone25
              Warrior
              • Dec 2016

I haven't seen a comment about sightron brand for a budget scope. Maybe some look down on them because the are not the BIG NAME. I can telll you this much however, i own a zeiss victory ht 3 x 12 x 56 that i am replacing with a sightron p-tac 2.5 x 17. I am very impressed with this scope. At half the cost of the zeiss i find the sightron to be a much nicer scope. Great glass and clarity. I would absolutely buy this scope again. You cant get better for the money.. imho of course

Comment

• Retro
                Warrior
                • Jul 2016

I just purchased an Athlon Argos 6-24X50 for $325 from Optics Planet. I had to call and ask for their best deal but they did me right.
                Originally posted by hikfromstik View Post
                Athlon scopes is a good high-end budget scope . High power and quality with budget prices . The Athlon argos is sub $400 and the Midas is about $550 . Both are 1000yds+ capable. Some people use 10x fixed power for 1000yd , but those days are over I believe. Joebobs outfitters has a Bushnell elite 4500 4-16x40 for $399 marked down from $810.

Comment

• sk8inrj1
                  Unwashed
                  • Apr 2017

Check outt this awesome scope for an awesome price. The whole website is on sale! https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-5-20x50-...lescope-1.html

Comment

• nuthead
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by bakabone25 View Post
                    I haven't seen a comment about sightron brand for a budget scope. Maybe some look down on them because the are not the BIG NAME. I can telll you this much however, i own a zeiss victory ht 3 x 12 x 56 that i am replacing with a sightron p-tac 2.5 x 17. I am very impressed with this scope. At half the cost of the zeiss i find the sightron to be a much nicer scope. Great glass and clarity. I would absolutely buy this scope again. You cant get better for the money.. imho of course
                    Sightrons are great - the big sky iii is one of the most popular LR hunting scopes in new Zealand (they track well)

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Notellumcreek View Post
                      Ok guys what about 1200$ and under? I think I'm gonna be ok'Ed by the big boss ala wife to spend a little more. Looking at the nighftorce shv also the vortex scopes in that range as well. Your thoughts?
                      I like my Bushnell Elite G2DMR but it is a tank (heavy). The H59 reticle is really something. The new Burris XTR IIs and Sigs look promising as well. Don't forget the high end Leupold tactical scopes, too.

Comment

• rwh
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2014

If you really mean the budget part of budget long range scope then the Weaver T24 and T36 are worth a look.

Comment

• Ffanis
                          Unwashed
                          • Jun 2018

Just keep in mind if you want a higher magnification scope the cost goes way up for it to still be clear. Barska, BSA, and the whole list of cheap scopes are gonna be a cloudy foggy looking blur at higher magnification and not very clear at lower settings. You really don't need anything over a 14power anyway. Mueller and vortex have pretty good clarity for the money and for a little more you can't go wrong with a Weaver V series. I have some cheaper scopes on my air rifles and I never turn them above 10 because it looks like you are looking through a thick fog at daybreak. Whatever you decide on you will most definitely want it to have an adjustable objective.For rimfires I'm a huge fan of the BSA 4.5-14x44 https://thetacticalscopes.com/best-optic-scar-17/ It has matching turrets and reticle and is first focal plane, and has enough adjustment to reach out to 300 yards without a canted base. Midway sells them for $250. They are great for rimfires because the parallax goes down to 10 yards. That being said the optics are ok, but not great. I have much more expensive scopes with much better glass, but they cost 4-8 times the price.

The advantage of mil/mil/ffp is being able to spot your miss and input the correction into your turret. If you see you missed my .5 mil low, you adjust up 5 clicks and you should be spot on.

Don't confuse this BSA with any other, the 4.5-14 is their highest model, and the only one with these features. Actually this scope is identical to the Vector Optics and the Falcon menace, but at a lower price, and maybe cheaper glass.Hope this helps.Good Luck.

Comment

• Popeye212
                            Chieftain
                            • Jan 2018

I really like my Athlon Midas I don't think you can beat them for the price. Met a guy on the range the other day he is impressed with his. LGS wanted to keep mine they had never seen one before.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

Long Range shooting can really only be done on a tighter budget if you live really close to or on a range that supports shooting at distance.

Once you start adding up:

* Gas to and from the range. $40-$80 x drives per month/year =
                              * Range fees. $5-$20/day or membership at $50-$250 =
                              * Ammo (usually the biggest cost and most variable cost). $100+ per range trip x D =
                              * Rifle $500 on up
                              * Mount $150-$350
                              * Bipod/shooting bags. $99 + $50 to $300 + $300
                              * Scope level
                              * Rifle scope
                              * Spotting scope
                              * Spotting scope tripod $150 on up
                              * Steel targets if not provided by range
                              * Chronograph/MagnetoSpeed/LabRadar. $150 on up
                              * Magazines $40 on up for 2 or more
                              * Ear pro $40 on up
                              * Eye pro $ 50 on up
                              * Rifle case
                              * Range bags
                              * Laser Range Finder
                              * Shooting mat

You start to see that this isn't just some hobby you can finance on a real tight budget. Of all the things on that list, you can get away with skimping on everything other than:

* Scope
                              * Ammo
                              * Mount
                              * Tripod
                              * Gas
                              * Range fees
                              * Steel targets (China hasn't started exporting steel plates yet to the best of my knowledge due to freight costs for weight/volume/load balance on the ships.)

You can buy everything else imported if you want, including the imitation Harris Bipods, copies of US-designed shooting bags that bust at the seams and leak the filler out all over, electronic ear muffs, the bubble level that came with your TV wall mount glued onto your rail with Shoe Goo, imported chronograph that has errors every 5 rounds, and even your spotting scope.

Heck, I've been guilty of at least half of that list.

When I go down that list, some of the lower end price points accumulations are ending up in the $3600 range before rifle case and bags, without the scope accounted for.

Do you really want to hinge everything else you've spent on a questionable scope, or do you want to get the best you can within your budget?

You don't have to buy all of those things at once, and this is why it really pays off to have friends that shoot the same hobby. You are going to want a solid rifle/mount/optic combo with good magazines, and probably a bipod and rear bag, along with the basic shooting essentials or eye pro and ear pro. That can get you started, working with other people who have spotting scopes, tripods, LRF, steel targets, etc. You can even carpool to drop gas cost.

To me, everything in Long Range shooting hinges on the scope. No scope, no LR shooting. I've seen guys with Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoors with a borrowed scope have extremely productive days in a formal course. That rifle is peanuts. Even at Cabella's inflated prices, you can walk out the door with one for around $500 after taxes, so rifle cost is not what is driving the overall costs of getting into LR shooting in comparison to everything else, unless you have the budget to afford $4000 rifles, but then you're going to be buying $3200-$5000 scopes as well if you can afford premium custom fire sticks.

You can do this on a budget, but some things are going to cost more than you thought, especially looking at the overall budget. You can waste an entire day or multi-day event by getting a questionable scope. A good rule of thumb for an entry-level shooter looking to get into LR is to spend at least $500 on the scope from a known company. To me, the very bottom acceptable scope in that area is either an SWFA or Vortex Viper PST series. Better to save a little more, sell some things on your local classifieds, and get a Gen II Viper PST if you can.

You get zero stop, HD glass, turrets that track, great reticle options, matching turrets to reticles, fine crosshairs, plenty of hash marks for windage holds, and solid reliability.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Notellumcreek
                                Unwashed
                                • Dec 2016

Thank you for all the helpful points and comments. I have been super busy at work and home and havent had enough time until recently to get back on here and get this project I started finally finished. I have gone ahead and purchased an athlon ares btr 4.5x27x50 Mil. Ffp with a warne 20 moa mount. Hoping I can start playing with it this weekend. Again appreciate all the help and hope that the thread was informative for anyone else needing similar advice.

Comment

Working...
                                X