• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by 65Whelen View Post
    One consideration I haven't seen discussed is the amount of adjustment a scope has. It's a big factor especially when talking about long range and budget in the same sentence. I bought a Vortex Crossfire II, 6-24x50, 30mms tube for $300, I like it, nice scope, good glass. Only draw back, 40 moa of adjustability, total. So, with my 6.5 Creedmoor I'm out adjustments at 500yrs. Something to be aware of.
    Yup. I look at my mounts with the same level of seriousness as optics.

I go with 20 MOA bases as a rule, and as much adjustment as possible in the erector.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Notellumcreek
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2016

Great info guys I'm really appreciating the help!

Comment

• mdewitt71
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50mm
        ― George Orwell

Comment

• nuthead
          Warrior
          • Nov 2015

$500 is a big ask.... the problem isn't going to be the clarity of the glass. It will be how accurately the scope can track for that price.

I've been using a VX3 4.5-14 CDS for mine... i put 50 rounds through it yesterday dialing back and forth from 100m, 200m, 300m, 390m, 500m and it actually tracked very well. I'm not sure how well it will track right at the edges of its adjustment range though

Comment

• Hoser1
            Bloodstained
            • May 2015

From the research that I have done, Sightron has a 4-20x50 side focus, glass as good as nightforce and leupold from the reviews, can add a custom dial. All have said it tracks just fine no issues from 100-1000 yds and back. From the reviews I have seen everybody rates it 4.5-5 stars. Guys have called it the poor man's nighforce. In the last month at Cabela's there were at least 10 PST Vortex 6-24x50 in the bargain cave that have been sent in for rework and sent back to Cabela's, that pretty much sold me on NEVER owing a Vortex of any kind. Considering I was looking at an HS-T 4-16x50. I know there a scope that doesnt get a lot of attention, but might be worth a look. For a price of 450 shipped from optics planet, what the hell............

Comment

• Hoser1
              Bloodstained
              • May 2015

there are youtube videos...........

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Hoser1 View Post
                From the research that I have done, Sightron has a 4-20x50 side focus, glass as good as nightforce and leupold from the reviews, can add a custom dial. All have said it tracks just fine no issues from 100-1000 yds and back. From the reviews I have seen everybody rates it 4.5-5 stars. Guys have called it the poor man's nighforce. In the last month at Cabela's there were at least 10 PST Vortex 6-24x50 in the bargain cave that have been sent in for rework and sent back to Cabela's, that pretty much sold me on NEVER owing a Vortex of any kind. Considering I was looking at an HS-T 4-16x50. I know there a scope that doesnt get a lot of attention, but might be worth a look. For a price of 450 shipped from optics planet, what the hell............
                I spoke with Scott from Vortex Optics at SHOT.

He said that every warranty-related return for Viper PSTs has been something other than internals, like broken knobs and turrets when people drop them on a hard surface, bend bells on cement, things like that.

He says he has yet to see internals that were faulty, and was kinda frustrated with it because a lot of people online will tell how great their warranty service was when they used it, but don't often say it was because of something they broke on the outside of the scope, bent, or didn't like.

They have to test every scope to see what the problem was, with lab-grade equipment, and document that so they can improve their processes.

A lot of the Cabella's "bargain" cave (sold at normal retail) are things people returned for reasons other than product defect as well.

The biggest areas that are lesser in these scopes in the sub-$1000 range normally are:

* Brass alloy for turrets is not the top end, so they make the threads really tight initially, but then they wear with use as long range shooters dial back and forth, until tracking suffers
                * Optical elements are not retained permanently
                * Springs are not high-grade, leading to spring memory and recoil-induce backlash when adjustments don't move with dialing

In contrast, looking at NF and Vortex, they use certain grades of high end brass alloys for the turrets that cost a lot.
                I know NF uses Titanium leaf springs for their turrets, that are set, heat-treated, then tumble-polished. They compress them for a month, then release the tension. If the leaf springs don't return to zero, they don't go in the scopes.

That stuff costs money to get those levels of performance.

Glass is just the beginning of your concerns with scopes. If it doesn't work, the glass clarity is a moot point.

I have learned to look more and more at reliability over the years.

None of these optics manufacturers or distributors pay me or compensate me for my statements. I just call it as I see it.

Now add mounting to a self-loader with a substantial mass BCG slamming back and forth in the gun, and the scope takes a beating that only certain manufacturing techniques will address.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• GarandThumb
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jan 2015

The Vortex HST is an excellent budget scope for long range, especially if you can get the LE/MIL discount. I've had mine (6-24x50) for a couple of years and routinely dial from 100 to 1000 yards. I've never had an issue with the tracking not staying true.

I own several vortex scopes, 1 crossfire, 1 diamondback hp, and a few Vipers. To date only the diamondback HP has been sent back, the side focus stopped working. The diamondback HP was an open box/shot show demo scope purchased from CameralandNY for $250, so who knows what happened to it before I got it.

Comment

• Arkhangel5
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2016

Notellum,
                    I will give a nod to Sightron's S-Tac line of scopes, there is a 3-16 and 4-20 that is in your price range.

I have the 3-16 on a 308 that I shoot in F-class matches to 600yds, no issues with clarity and tracking. I got it for the low end mag for hunting.

I have used a 16x out to 1000yds and it is usable, not ideal, but adequate.

Also consider the Nikon Monarch line, fits you budget with good glass and tracking.

Now with both scope lines I have mentioned, to get good glass you give up some features, like exposed turrets, illum reticles, I would rather have good glass and tracking than those particular features.

The S-tac line also uses the same erector system they use in their tope end SIII and SV lines, so it tracks very well.

Just another option to consider.

SY

Comment

• Lightning8
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

He said that every warranty-related return for Viper PSTs has been something other than internals, like broken knobs and turrets when people drop them on a hard surface, bend bells on cement, things like that.

He says he has yet to see internals that were faulty, and was kinda frustrated with it because a lot of people online will tell how great their warranty service was when they used it, but don't often say it was because of something they broke on the outside of the scope, bent, or didn't like.

They have to test every scope to see what the problem was, with lab-grade equipment, and document that so they can improve their processes.

A lot of the Cabella's "bargain" cave (sold at normal retail) are things people returned for reasons other than product defect as well.

The biggest areas that are lesser in these scopes in the sub-$1000 range normally are:

* Brass alloy for turrets is not the top end, so they make the threads really tight initially, but then they wear with use as long range shooters dial back and forth, until tracking suffers
                      * Optical elements are not retained permanently
                      * Springs are not high-grade, leading to spring memory and recoil-induce backlash when adjustments don't move with dialing

In contrast, looking at NF and Vortex, they use certain grades of high end brass alloys for the turrets that cost a lot.
                      I know NF uses Titanium leaf springs for their turrets, that are set, heat-treated, then tumble-polished. They compress them for a month, then release the tension. If the leaf springs don't return to zero, they don't go in the scopes.

That stuff costs money to get those levels of performance.

Glass is just the beginning of your concerns with scopes. If it doesn't work, the glass clarity is a moot point.

I have learned to look more and more at reliability over the years.

None of these optics manufacturers or distributors pay me or compensate me for my statements. I just call it as I see it.

Now add mounting to a self-loader with a substantial mass BCG slamming back and forth in the gun, and the scope takes a beating that only certain manufacturing techniques will address.
                      I have bought two Vortex "blems" from local Cabelas - a 1x4 PST and a 2.5x10 PST - so far so good and literally half price of new. Was just at Cabelas and always start at the Bargain cave looking for another PST deal!

Comment

• Rebels010
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

Too many reports of otherwise for it to be false or all only related to customer caused issues. I'm a fan of vortex, great features for a great price, but there has been issues with their scopes, and to their credit they fix them.

Comment

• wraith1516
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2014

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                            Chieftain
                            • Oct 2016

I love my Athlon Argos 6-42x50 FFP mil/mil. I've only had it out to 440 so far, but the reticle is absolutely clear edge to edge at max magnification even at that distance. Similarly clear at lower magnifications as well. Light transmission is great, I was shooting at or very near dusk; and the illuminated reticle was really spot on. It's also side focus so there is no axial twisting to focus (which I am not a fan of, I will come off to adjust magnification, or I'll send one without). My elevation turret is rather crisp as well, some guys complain about how it doesn't feel as good as a more expensive Vortex or USO, or S&B, or even NF. I will say though, neither does the price. I got mine from Amazon for $365 to my door, and can't find anything to complain about. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Now, I just need to find the right mount. ADM or Larue - but for now - a set of Weaver XTac 30mm rings. BTW, my Grendel, and now my glass, both out-shoot me. Alas, more practice required, to the range I go!
                            Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Notellumcreek
                              Unwashed
                              • Dec 2016

man starting to get some great responses, thank you guys. Still working on the build of the gun but should be finishing up my decision with a scope in the next month or so.

Comment

• sportsnut
                                Bloodstained
                                • Jan 2017

Originally posted by GarandThumb View Post
                                The Vortex HST is an excellent budget scope for long range, especially if you can get the LE/MIL discount. I've had mine (6-24x50) for a couple of years and routinely dial from 100 to 1000 yards. I've never had an issue with the tracking not staying true.

I own several vortex scopes, 1 crossfire, 1 diamondback hp, and a few Vipers. To date only the diamondback HP has been sent back, the side focus stopped working. The diamondback HP was an open box/shot show demo scope purchased from CameralandNY for $250, so who knows what happened to it before I got it.

Just out of curiosity how much does Vortex offer for the LE/MIL discount?

Comment

Working...
                                X