• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seneff3
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2017

Solgw 18" barrel

Hello...new to site and was wondering if anyone has used or has any input on the solgw 18" barrel
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Never heard of them, what's the specs on that barrel, i.e. what chamber and rate of twist and gas port size.

Comment

• Seneff3
      Unwashed
      • Feb 2017

6.5 Grendel Chamber cut with .300 Neck Reamer

SBR Profile

.750 Gas Block Journal

416 Stainless Steel

1:7.5" Twist Rate

Polished Finish

5/8 x 24 TPI Threaded with 11 Degree Target Crown

Guaranteed to shoot 1/2 MOA with match ammo.

Lead Time: 5 Weeks

This is from their site

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

I'm not sure about the twist rate but other members here would know better about that subject, my 18 inch barrel has 1:8 twist and works fine.

I would ask if they cut the chamber with a compound throat if that's what your wanting, I see they list it as grendel chamber with a 300 neck but if your wanting the compound throat as well I would ask to make sure that it is cut with it.

Not sure what they call a SBR profile for the barrel, I guess I need to take a look at it and see.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Ok went looked at it to me the profile looks like a standard hbar but others will know better then me.

Comment

• Seneff3
            Unwashed
            • Feb 2017

I know sons of liberty has a great reputation and make amazing guns was just wondering on this barrel...I figured a 1/2 moa guarantee for 330 bucks was a great deal but wanted some further input from those more experienced

Comment

• mdram
              Warrior
              • Sep 2016

interesting. i sent them a mail with some questions. will report back when i have answers
              just some targets for printing
              https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• mdram
                Warrior
                • Sep 2016

got my reply

They are button rifled Bergara blanks, with hand cut chambers.

We could get a 20", it would take a few weeks.

I currently don't nitride them, we could cerakote the outside for you however. if you are looking for the bead blasted look, we could cerakote it that way. I'd prefer that to actually bead blasting it since we don't keep that media around for our blast cabinet.

The guarantee is meant for 100yds, however we have guys using them out to 1000yds with 1/2-1 MOA results at 1000. I'll have to ask one of my guys for pics of his 1000yd groups to see how close to 1/2 he's getting at that distance.

They are headspaced to a type II 6.5 Grendel bolt. Specifically an Alexander Arms bolt, and checked with a JP bolt, they are headspaced tight but not never had any issues.

Comment

• Seneff3
                  Unwashed
                  • Feb 2017

Damn....that sounds like a pretty good deal then...I just might have to get one instead of going the odin works route

Comment

• 1911man
                    Warrior
                    • May 2015

Had a weird coincidence today. I read this thread yesterday and then ran into a guy at the range today shooting an AR10 built buy sons of liberty in 308. He was getting some really good groups at 300 with boxed Federal gold medal ammo. Nothing 1/2 MOA but the wind was really tough today and the shooter makes a big difference at that range. He definetly had some 3/4 MOA and slightly better though. Makes me want to try one of those barrels but I hate waiting.

Comment

• hikfromstik
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2016

Shilen barrels sold Bergera the patent on their barrel manufacturer techniques. Bergara makes some fine barrels and guns . Their guns have a .5" guarantee .

Comment

• mdram
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2016

did shilen sell or license? he did go there and help them setup. they even have a vid on their website with him discussing it

Comment

• hikfromstik
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2016

Maybe license? I'm not sure . I do know that if the process was obtained from Shilen then some legal mubo jumbo had to be done . I'm no lawyer so it's not my expertise. Your probably right . If Shilen sold their patent then Shilen would cease to make their barrels anymore , so they probably sold them the license to use their process.

Comment

• am4966
                            Chieftain
                            • Jul 2014

For all barrel KS or just the Grendel? Since the Grendel is a Saami chamber and therefore is a open source. Or maybe it's for AR15 barrels, since Bergara is a Spaniard company and probably just getting o into the AR platform. Just all guessing in my part, but they do make above average barrels"Bergara"
                            12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                            Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                            Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• mdram
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2016

solgw is a user on m4carbin.net
                              i have registered there but cant post yet.

will ask a few questions when i get admin approval.
                              the reviews on thier stuff is very favorable.
                              customer service seems to be great from the thread
                              So I've looked for some reviews of their rifles and not much luck. Anyone on here have any gear from them? They list specs extensively and they all seem to check every box. Anyway I'm curious to hear what's out there. I'm considering them for my next upper just for something different. Here is their basic midlength with moe SL furniture https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/collections/rifles/products/m4-patrol-rifle-sl-black-friday-special?variant=10455647553

Comment

Working...
                              X