• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Having a bad day

I never knew this could happen but I do now. Damn!

• bigdaddyflo
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2016

Wow, he almost became a she!

Comment

• Texas
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2016

Not a good idea to shoot while holding on to a bipod that pivots.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

It's a known issue with the SAW, especially in units with poor armorer support.

Another point is that the M249 SAW doctrinally cannot be used to initiate an ambush, or enter a room in a MOUT scenario. This is because of the open bolt operating feature and the possibility of a malfunction on the first round.
        The above doesn't jive with my experience at all. We only used open-bolt belt-fed machine-guns to initiate ambushes in the Army's formal patrolling courses, namely the SFQC and Ranger School. That's what kicks off the ambush, or the Patrol leader blowing the claymores.

The most casualty-producing weapons doctrinally in those courses were:

M60 or M240
        SAW

Place the SAWs on the assault line on both ends, interlocking inwards to cover the kill zone, with all the riflemen on the assault line in between them.

Gun Team would be on the flank for an L-Shape, to have more coverage of the kill zone. Open bolt belt-feds were the work horses of an ambush, so I don't know why anyone would say not to rely on them for initiating an ambush when that was exactly what you would do doctrinally. Red flag.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
        X