• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Casper77
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2015

American Eagle 90gr TNT Range Report

To say that I'm excited about this new offering from Federal is an understatement. I bought a box from Midway and had a chance to shoot them today. All groups were shot at 100 yds off a bipod and rear bag and velocities were measured with a Caldwell chronograph. Here are the results:

Barrel:
    18" AA (Satern as far as I can tell) SAAMI chamber 1:9 twist

American Eagle 90gr TNT JHP 6.5 Grendel:
    OAL: 2.18"
    Powder: 29.5 gr of ??? (See picture below, any guesses?)
    Bullet: 90gr flat-based hollow point with cannelure
    Primer: sealed, marked with "AR"

IMG_0778.JPGIMG_0779.JPGIMG_0780.JPG

I shot two groups, one 5-shot and one 6-shot group. I had to throw a sixth at the second group to see if my BAD flier was me or the ammo, it was me. Also, it was a cool 30 degrees this morning so I'll test again when it warms up to see if there are velocity changes.

Avg. Velocity: 2936 fps, Bam!
    SD: 13
    ES: 34
    1st Group size: .9"
    2nd Group size: .6" minus the flier

This will definitely be my go-to round for predator hunting. Federal has impressed me so far and it makes me excited for their Fusion and Berger Match rounds to come out. It's a good time to be shooting a Grendel.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Casper77; 02-17-2017, 05:12 AM. Reason: Corrected velocity for chrono distance
  • 1911man
    Warrior
    • May 2015

This is super encouraging, both the groups and the velocity. If this ammo can hold close to MOA in most rifles and run those kind of speeds with an SD in the 15 fps or less range it should be a popular cartridge for the varmint guys.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Dude! 2936 fps from an 18"? SWEET!

Or, as Gunnery Sergeant Hartmann would say: "Outstanding!"
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• hikfromstik
        Warrior
        • Oct 2016

I was very impressive too. I ate my own words . I thought they would be a moa or more , but I had one 5 shot group that was .6" . The rest sub moa . Midway is sold out . These and Hornady black eld match are my go to .

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Thanks for that detailed report.

Can you look at your rifling again? Those barrels were normally 1/8.75" with a serial number.

I have some of this ammo on the way as well.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Great info Casper ! As a varmint taker- This 6.5 Grrrr round is way better than the 22-250, etc., in a lighter wt. class of bullets. Smackdown...

More wt., more frontal diam.,,, it's a new 6.5 mm world nowdays. Many of us hoped that we helped as best as possible on this forum to Push the 6.5.

Awesome home defense load,,,, aside of the 36 grn -5.56 load of the Varmint Grenade.

Powder will be off the shelf, from other manuf's.,, or a blend mix.,,, or only ALLIANT STUFF. Meeting up with Blade 2 this wknd.

Kinda looks like CFE, or TAc--- we'll all find out together.

Feddy is still somewhat old school, BLC-2 ?
            Last edited by sneaky one; 02-17-2017, 11:59 PM.

Comment

• ricsmall
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

Great report!! I'd like to see a 75 gr pill for varminting but I'm sure the 90 will work great with that accuracy and speed.

Dan I doubt it's BLC-2 with that bullet wt. prolly something faster but just guessing. Do I have a guess, no, I'm just poking on the Sneaky1!! Lol.

Richard
              Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

I'll open a container of RL 7, not it. Next-H335-nope,

It's their own blend, - or,,,, sure looks like Tac or Cfe--- I hopefully will find out this wknd. Good fun. Good to see that you are posting again RS !

Good to see that a few of us pushed HARD to get Feddy involved. Let's all chime in as to- tell them what you guys want. Either Federal- or Vista Outdoors.

Vista owns all the companies from feddy- the list is long,,
                Last edited by sneaky one; 02-18-2017, 01:55 AM.

Comment

• Casper77
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  Thanks for that detailed report.

Can you look at your rifling again? Those barrels were normally 1/8.75" with a serial number.
                  This picture shows the only markings on the barrel. No serial number. All I have to go off is the guy I bought it from (used) told me he bought it from Alexander Arms. I measured it the BATF way so I know the 18" is correct. I had no reason to doubt the 1:9 but I will measure that as well. I'll just start listing it as "mystery" barrel that shoots really good lol. Other clues are it's fluted before the gas port only, mid-length gas system, and the extension had rifle feed ramps. This is the closest I could find to it online, but like you said the twist doesn't match... http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937...tainless-steel
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Casper77; 02-18-2017, 08:21 AM.

Comment

• Casper77
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by hikfromstik View Post
                    I had one 5 shot group that was .6" . The rest sub moa .
                    Glad to see you had good luck with these as well. I'm thinking I should have bought more than one box!

Comment

• Casper77
                      Bloodstained
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                      I'll open a container of RL 7, not it. Next-H335-nope,

It's their own blend, - or,,,, sure looks like Tac or Cfe--- I hopefully will find out this wknd. Good fun. Good to see that you are posting again RS !

Good to see that a few of us pushed HARD to get Feddy involved. Let's all chime in as to- tell them what you guys want. Either Federal- or Vista Outdoors.

Vista owns all the companies from feddy- the list is long,,
                      Yes, thanks to all of you that have pushed for so long to get this where it is today. My .308 and 5.56 are just collecting dust these days, the Grendel does it all.

Thanks for the guesses on the powder. I'm about out of 8208 XBR, perfect time to try something different.

I've been thinking this would be a good load to stock up on especially since they have sealed primers and crimped bullets. They ought to stay fresh and ready to rock for a long time. Buy these, and then reload the heavier pills for long range work.
                      Last edited by Casper77; 02-18-2017, 08:36 AM.

Comment

• Dinny
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2016

I shot 20 of these today and found nearly the same accuracy results from my 22" Howa Mini. I'll shoot some over the chrono on Monday. I plan to order another box now.

Update: MidwayUSA is fresh out but Joe Bob still has them in stock. I got two more boxes tonight.

Thanks, Dinny
                        Last edited by Dinny; 02-20-2017, 02:27 AM.

Comment

• Casper77
                          Bloodstained
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Dinny View Post
                          I shot 20 of these today and found nearly the same accuracy results from my 22" Howa Mini. I'll shoot some over the chrono on Monday. I plan to order another box now.

Thanks, Dinny
                          Nice! I'd be interested in seeing your velocities from your bolt gun.

Comment

• Bwild97
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Casper77 View Post
                            This picture shows the only markings on the barrel. No serial number. All I have to go off is the guy I bought it from (used) told me he bought it from Alexander Arms. I measured it the BATF way so I know the 18" is correct. I had no reason to doubt the 1:9 but I will measure that as well. I'll just start listing it as "mystery" barrel that shoots really good lol. Other clues are it's fluted before the gas port only, mid-length gas system, and the extension had rifle feed ramps. This is the closest I could find to it online, but like you said the twist doesn't match... http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937...tainless-steel
                            What are the threads on that Muzzle brake?

Comment

• Casper77
                              Bloodstained
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Bwild97 View Post
                              What are the threads on that Muzzle brake?
                              My barrel has 9/16x24 threads. Do you have an idea who made it?

Comment

Working...
                              X