X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Went ice fishing with Blade today. He thinks it's Alliant AR Comp powder.,, from experience. Powder shows up from the semi trailer with sticker tags-- in giant containers-- never says what the Alliant powder inside is- it's coded - etc. for each ammo plant, it is a blended powder. It's not coded as same as for retail consumer sales. They learn , then release data of load data for us.

He'll dig into it this next wknd. It's cool that they are loading the rounds. Still working on ideas for the Nosler E tip--- the same version of the GMX , to pass along to them.

Almost there, for wts.

Anyone here able to drop a few grns. of AR Comp onto a paper plate to compare against ??? Post a pic dudes- My comp won't let me change pixel sizes errr what ever

Bwild - you are back from the - something!!! Nice.
    Last edited by sneaky one; 02-20-2017, 01:26 AM.

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Casper- most 9/16" threaded are AA.

Comment

• Casper77
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
        Casper- most 9/16" threaded are AA.
        Sneaky - always appreciate the insider info. I'll wait a little bit and let this play out but I might have to get some AR Comp and work up a load.

Back to AA with the mystery barrel eh? Well whoever made it did a good job because it shoots lights out!

Riddle me this - I went out to a favorite spot in the desert yesterday where I can shoot at 840 yds. Conditions were cold and rainy, so basically perfect, with about a 3 mph zero value wind from the six. I shot a few of my current load of 120 gr SMK's @ 2480 fps to confirm my dope, and then I shot a few of these AE 90 gr TNT's just for kicks, using the same dope of 34 MOA and a 100 yd zero, and couldn't believe it when I hit the target within inches of the 120 gr load. I was so excited I emptied the mag! The BC's of these two rounds are very different. I didn't expect them to have the same drop from 100 to 840 yards, of course with different velocities but still what are the chances of that happening? Next I'm going to start at 100 yds and work my way back to the 840 mark and confirm my data every 100 yds or so.

Comment

• Sticks
          Chieftain
          • Dec 2016

It would be nice if they did stay consistent. I had some arrows from my competition archery days that did that. 3 different sizes ( Severe dia. differences) and lengths (4"), all had same POI/POA out to 30 yards. Made for some entertaining competitions with the other shooters looking at my target with a "WTH?" expression on their face with all 5 in the "X".
          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

I have some pix, AR-comp is more of a smallish-extruded grain. H335 and TAC (and CFE but I didn't snap that one) are more of flat-sphericals, of the 335 and TAC, TAC appears to be a smaller grain, darker color than 335. H335 is a bigger grain and more silvery. I'm going to try to upload the pix in a new comment.
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

Here are snaps of the three powders. I tried to also make them appear in relatively the same size of pix, anyway in real life you can see the TAC is a smaller, darker grain...
              Attached Files
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• wheelguner
                Warrior
                • Oct 2011

As often happens to us old farts, this thread reminded me one of those moments in time that stick with us. In the 70's I worked at Georgia Outdoors, one of the few stores in the Atlanta area that carried reloading supplies/equipment at that time. I actually managed the camping department but helped out in the gun department when busy. I remember a guy walking up to the counter and asking Jeff, our resident guru, for some powder. Jeff asked him which powder he wanted and the guy reached into his jeans and pulled out some powder and said this is that he wanted. Jeff shook his head and told him no way was he going to sell him powder based on that. The dude then said he was willing to come behind the counter and open the cans to look for himself.....Jeff politely walked him to the front door and requested that he take his business elsewhere. I realize we are always curious about what the factories are using but picking powder by eye is about like judging charge weight by holding it in our hands.

Comment

• Casper77
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                  Here are snaps of the three powders. I tried to also make them appear in relatively the same size of pix, anyway in real life you can see the TAC is a smaller, darker grain...
                  Grayfox, thank you for the pictures of the powders. That rules out AR Comp. I looked at the data for the other two and neither come close to the velocities I'm getting with 29.5 grs. Still, different primers may make that added difference. Accurate 2520 comes closer, might be worth a look.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Manufacturers like Federal use canister powders specifically for the lots they are loading. They normally aren't something you can buy off the shelf.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Casper77
                      Bloodstained
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by wheelguner View Post
                      picking powder by eye is about like judging charge weight by holding it in our hands.
                      wheelguner, that is a good story. I've got the powder in my pocket headed to the hardware store right now...

Haha! True, we may not figure it out exactly but I know there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum, a lot of it firsthand. Ya never know unless you ask. Soon I'll have 50 1x fired brass to start messing with, and more of the factory stuff on the way in the meantime. Enjoying the journey.

I've had good luck in the past replicating factory loads. My thinking is that while I can usually get a little better accuracy with my hand loads, I'm not set up to load mass quantities. I shoot what I reload and then stock up on the factory stuff. In the event I don't have the time to keep up with my shooting habit by reloading, or if something comes up I can shoot the factory loads with only minor tweaks to my dope.This has worked well with my .308 and the Federal GMM 175 gr, and I'm hoping I can have this setup with this American Eagle 90 gr load. Might not find it, but it will be fun trying.

Comment

• Casper77
                        Bloodstained
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        Manufacturers like Federal use canister powders specifically for the lots they are loading. They normally aren't something you can buy off the shelf.
                        I'll keep that in mind if frustration sets in...

Comment

• Dinny
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Casper77 View Post
                          Nice! I'd be interested in seeing your velocities from your bolt gun.
                          Five shots over the Magnetospeed averaged 2894fps from my 22" Howa Mini.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• WIshooter
                            Unwashed
                            • May 2016

Upon closer inspection, the primers are stamped with the letters "AR".

Comment

• Casper77
                              Bloodstained
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Dinny View Post
                              Five shots over the Magnetospeed averaged 2894fps from my 22" Howa Mini.

Thanks, Dinny
                              Thanks, I'd have to say that I expected more. I'll do more tests. My barrel is well broken in but I'd still expect your 22" to be faster than mine. I'll throw some more and post results. We're your groups as accurate as last time?

Comment

• Casper77
                                Bloodstained
                                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by WIshooter View Post
                                Upon closer inspection, the primers are stamped with the letters "AR".
                                Yes they are, have you seen that before?

Comment

Working...
                                X