• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Casper77
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Dinny View Post
    Five shots over the Magnetospeed averaged 2894fps from my 22" Howa Mini.

Thanks, Dinny
    Was that the speed at the chrono? How far away was it? Mine at the chrono was 2926, which JBM corrected to 2936 at the muzzle. I was 10' away.

Comment

• Dinny
      Warrior
      • Jun 2016

The Magnetospeed changes the POI. They weren't quite as accurate today but that was to be expected.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• Dinny
        Warrior
        • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Casper77 View Post
        Was that the speed at the chrono? How far away was it? Mine at the chrono was 2926, which JBM corrected to 2936 at the muzzle. I was 10' away.
        The Magnetospeed is mounted on the barrel.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• WIshooter
          Unwashed
          • May 2016

Yes they are, have you seen that before?
          I never have. On that note I thought Federal primers were soft, and not recommended for an AR. Maybe these are something new and unavailable as a component.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I've never seen a primer with the stamp AR like on the new Federal ammo. Federal knew this ammo was going into semi auto AR-15's with floating firing pins. I'd be surprised if these primers had thinner cups. Marking the primers AR is a good way to ensure the ammo get the right primers

Comment

• Casper77
              Bloodstained
              • Nov 2015

Well if anybody sees these primers for sale let us know.

Comment

• pajasonc
                Warrior
                • Dec 2016

Thanks, I'd have to say that I expected more. I'll do more tests. My barrel is well broken in but I'd still expect your 22" to be faster than mine. I'll throw some more and post results. We're your groups as accurate as last time?
                Seems like the howa's are pretty slow with most ammo. Most things I have read have the 123 sst factory ammo out of the 22" barrels running 2400 to 2500.

Comment

• Rebels010
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2016

Originally posted by pajasonc View Post
                  Seems like the howa's are pretty slow with most ammo. Most things I have read have the 123 sst factory ammo out of the 22" barrels running 2400 to 2500.
                  I've read this too. Does anyone know why that would be?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

My WAG would be looser side of in spec chamber or a very long free bore which might reduce pressure (or both).

Comment

• pajasonc
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                      My WAG would be looser side of in spec chamber or a very long free bore which might reduce pressure (or both).
                      My guess is that vascar is correct. I don't know but i have a guess howa is really a grendel 2 chamber which seem to run slower with factory ammo

Comment

• 1911man
                        Warrior
                        • May 2015

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                        I third that theory, longer chamber is my guess.

Comment

• F224
                          Unwashed
                          • Apr 2016

Originally posted by wheelguner View Post
                          As often happens to us old farts, this thread reminded me one of those moments in time that stick with us. In the 70's I worked at Georgia Outdoors, one of the few stores in the Atlanta area that carried reloading supplies/equipment at that time. I actually managed the camping department but helped out in the gun department when busy. I remember a guy walking up to the counter and asking Jeff, our resident guru, for some powder. Jeff asked him which powder he wanted and the guy reached into his jeans and pulled out some powder and said this is that he wanted. Jeff shook his head and told him no way was he going to sell him powder based on that. The dude then said he was willing to come behind the counter and open the cans to look for himself.....Jeff politely walked him to the front door and requested that he take his business elsewhere. I realize we are always curious about what the factories are using but picking powder by eye is about like judging charge weight by holding it in our hands.
                          In the early 1990's, while shooting my second or third NRA Hi-power match, the guy next to me touch off his first sighter round in a borrowed club CMP M1 loaner match rifle. It promptly blew up (thankfully he was in the last spot on the right) and when questioned later, he admitted to loading 54gr of WW 231 into the 30/06 case with a 180gr match bullet. He had no clue that powders had different burn rates and just bough a pound of the cheapest stuff on the shelf. There are at least two lessons here; #1) Put the new shooters on the end and #2) The M1, like many other US military rifles, is designed to explode away from the shooter.
                          Last edited by F224; 02-26-2017, 01:02 AM.

Comment

• F224
                            Unwashed
                            • Apr 2016

Originally posted by pajasonc View Post

Blaser's are the same way, they speed up over the first 200 rounds, as much as 100+ FPS. Usually it's indicative of very tight chamber and lands/groove dimensions.
                            Last edited by F224; 02-26-2017, 01:02 AM.

Comment

• T800
                              Unwashed
                              • Feb 2017

Here's some more dope on the AE 90s ...

From my 20" Satern, Grendel II
                              2917 FPS Avg

From my brother's rifle, 24" Satern, Grendel II
                              3083 FPS Avg

Not sure why there's such a difference there. Most loads we test differ about what's expected for the barrel length.

Neither grouped real well - about 1.25" at 100 yds. Certainly usable for coyote hunting, though.

Comment

• Casper77
                                Bloodstained
                                • Nov 2015

Thank you for posting your data. My understanding is that the II chamber is set up for the heavier bullets, 123 gr plus. That's just what I gather from reading, not first hand. The more data we get the more we will know. I'll buy what you have left if you don't want it

Comment

Working...
                                X