Bloodstained
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by T800 View Post
    Here's some more dope on the AE 90s ...

From my 20" Satern, Grendel II
    2917 FPS Avg

From my brother's rifle, 24" Satern, Grendel II
    3083 FPS Avg
    3083 is smokin! And welcome to the Horde T800!

Comment

• T800
      Unwashed
      • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Casper77 View Post
      Thank you for posting your data. My understanding is that the II chamber is set up for the heavier bullets, 123 gr plus. That's just what I gather from reading, not first hand. The more data we get the more we will know. I'll buy what you have left if you don't want it

3083 is smokin! And welcome to the Horde T800!
      3083 is indeed smokin! I was surprised. Thanks for the welcome.

This is still a pretty new caliber to me, but so far it seems my Grendel II likes lighter bullets better. I get extremely good accuracy from Sierra 85 and 100g HPs. 123 Hornady factory loads (SST and A-Max) do shoot sub-MOA. Handloads with Sierra PH 120s, Nosler 120 BTs and Hornady 140 SSTs have been less than stellar, but some will shoot MOA. Always looking for that one hole group :-)
      Last edited by T800; 02-24-2017, 02:07 AM.

Comment

• Casper77
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by T800 View Post
        I get extremely good accuracy from Sierra 85 and 100g HPs.
        What was your OAL and velocity for the 85 gr load? These are pretty short at 2.18". Sounds like you've been busy trying all kinds of loads.

Comment

• Casper77
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by F224 View Post
          There are at least two lessons here; #1) Put the new shooters on the end and #2) The M1, like many other US military rifles, is designed to explode away from the shooter.
          And lesson #3, reloading can be dangerous, especially if you end up next to that guy! Sheesh!
          Last edited by Casper77; 02-24-2017, 02:21 AM.

Comment

• T800
            Unwashed
            • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Casper77 View Post
            What was your OAL and velocity for the 85 gr load? These are pretty short at 2.18". Sounds like you've been busy trying all kinds of loads.
            Std disclaimer - this was safe in MY rifle, work it up and use at your own risk.

Sierra 85 HP, HDY case, CCI BR4 primer, Ramshot X-Terminator 30.6g, COL 2.147

20" 2845 FPS
            24" 2927 FPS

0.586" group

I can easily get more speed, but the accuracy is there so I called it good.

I shoot the Sierra 100g HP at the same COL and get similar accuracy with 8208XBR.

Just got a box of the Sierra 130g HPs today. Hope they do as well.

Edit: SD 8 in the 20", SD 3.5 in the 24"

H335 also gave good accuracy at 2600 fps, but I didn't continue developing with that powder.
            Last edited by T800; 02-25-2017, 03:28 PM. Reason: Added info

Comment

• T800
              Unwashed
              • Feb 2017

And to get somewhat back on topic, the American Eagle is back in stock at Midway. Joe Bob's still had it last I looked too.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Just got a 200rd case of it.

I'm planning on shooting it in the Howa and at least 2 ARs.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Casper77
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  Just got a 200rd case of it.

I'm planning on shooting it in the Howa and at least 2 ARs.
                  Looking forward to the results...

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

As far as the original Q. of powders- Nothing is known yet from feddy-- yet, my guy is checking powders to do his best to find out.. Big shakeup there recently. Handloading?--

I would start with H335, or RL-7, or AR Comp, or H332, even try Cfe or Tac.----- If all else fails- BLC-2.

Use online data to start the programs. Stay inside of the max loads data-

This caliber ROCKS with the lighter wt. bullets. Copper for game, TNT for varmint out to 500 yds.

If shooting at 800 + yds, use the heavy pills.- Multi target at distant ranges use round , multi game use ,daddy likey

This is the allure of the Grrrrrr !

Comment

• CrisAnderson27
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2016

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                      As far as the original Q. of powders- Nothing is known yet from feddy-- yet, my guy is checking powders to do his best to find out.. Big shakeup there recently. Handloading?--

I would start with H335, or RL-7, or AR Comp, or H332, even try Cfe or Tac.----- If all else fails- BLC-2.

Use online data to start the programs. Stay inside of the max loads data-

This caliber ROCKS with the lighter wt. bullets. Copper for game, TNT for varmint out to 500 yds.

If shooting at 800 + yds, use the heavy pills.- Multi target at distant ranges use round , multi game use ,daddy likey

This is the allure of the Grrrrrr !
                      Love this, lol! I just picked up 800 or so Sierra 85/100 grain hollow points I'll be using very similarly. I've still got my 123 grain SST's packed away as well, but I don't really think I'll be needing them other than to empty them for brass, lol. Loving the concept of these light rounds. I'll be loading them starting tomorrow afternoon, working up a ladder to find what my two Grendels (20" and 12.5") like best.

I'm interested in how these TNT's work out as well. You can never have too many tools in the tool box!

Comment

• burnsome
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2011

Curious as to what kind of groups you guys getting with this ammo since it's been out for a while?

Thanks

Comment

• Dinny
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2016

Originally posted by burnsome View Post
                          Curious as to what kind of groups you guys getting with this ammo since it's been out for a while?

Thanks
                          Mine are running right at or just under 1" at 100yds. All depends on the loose nut behind the stock.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

As a follow up on the powders--- Talked to Blade from the local plant, he said that there is no powder recipe on file for this ammo. It will be known -soon enuff. Secret blend.. ?

Use the handbook data, or PM me for a few side loadings with diff powders. Just start a grain or 2 lower. It's a decent accuracy pill., my 95 GMX are stellar by comparison.

So are the 95 V-Max. Overwatcher whacks critters at 350 yds. in the howling winds -mountains of Idaho with the V max.

Dinny- tighten the nut up - hee hee

Comment

• WIshooter
                              Unwashed
                              • May 2016

I shot some of this ammo to check function and to zero on Sunday. I didn't shoot for groups, but the results seemed promising for accuracy.
                              One thing I noticed with this ammo, is my bolt wouldn't lock back on the empty mag.
                              I am using an auto carrier and an H buffer, and I wonder if I was overgassed with this ammo. Recoil felt pretty sharp, and I had a few ejector marks on the brass.

Comment

• Casper77
                                Bloodstained
                                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by WIshooter View Post
                                I shot some of this ammo to check function and to zero on Sunday. I didn't shoot for groups, but the results seemed promising for accuracy.
                                One thing I noticed with this ammo, is my bolt wouldn't lock back on the empty mag.
                                I am using an auto carrier and an H buffer, and I wonder if I was overgassed with this ammo. Recoil felt pretty sharp, and I had a few ejector marks on the brass.
                                I actually had the same thing happen, which is fine by me if the pressures are lower. I had mine tuned for a load of 120 gr SMK's going 2480 fps. With the AE 90 gr's it was locking back on the carrier but not the bolt. I just opened my adjustable gas block a quarter turn and that fixed it.
                                Last edited by Casper77; 03-07-2017, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X