• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 6.5fanboy
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2017

7.62 bdc scope for grendel?

Hey guys, Im looking to build a 18 inch grendel AR, and I like BDC scopes from my time in the corps. How accurate would a 7.62 bdc scope be on a grendel platform? Im looking to engage 8 inch steel plates at up to 500 yards, so as long as I can do that I'd be happy. Thanks
    Last edited by 6.5fanboy; 02-19-2017, 12:05 AM.
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

I got a bdc for my 270 as my first gun and it worked and with nikons app i knew exactly how far each bdc was if i was at the right magnification (2nd focal plane). I now prefer moa or mil reticles in ffp because they are always true no matter what caliber i put them on.

Comment

• 6.5fanboy
      Unwashed
      • Feb 2017

Yeah, I was looking at the burris m tac 1.5-6, but I dont think they offer it in mil dots. Plus Ive never used mil dots before.

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

It wont be spot on but will be fairly close. One sure way to find out is to mount it on the gun and shoot it at ranges

Comment

• 6.5fanboy
          Unwashed
          • Feb 2017

Yeah I saw a chart and it had the different ballistics of the two rounds, they looked pretty similiar out to 600 yards, but I was wondering if anyone knew more in depth info.

Comment

• rabiddawg
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by 6.5fanboy View Post
            Hey guys, Im looking to build a 18 inch grendel AR, and I like BDC scopes from my time in the corps. How accurate would a 7.62 bdc scope be on a grendel platform? Im looking to engage 8 inch steel plates at up to 500 yards, so as long as I can do that I'd be happy. Thanks
            Yeah, I was looking at the burris m tac 1.5-6, but I dont think they offer it in mil dots. Plus Ive never used mil dots before.
            You never used mil dots in the corps?
            Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Lightning8
              Warrior
              • Jun 2015

I use the Primary Arms 4-14 with the ACSS for 308 for my 20 inch 6.5G. Works great at 300 yards.

Comment

• 6.5fanboy
                Unwashed
                • Feb 2017

You never used mil dots in the corps?
                No, just the bdc on ACOGs... and the tracers on the 240 and gau16 haha.
                Last edited by 6.5fanboy; 02-19-2017, 02:14 AM.

Comment

• 6.5fanboy
                  Unwashed
                  • Feb 2017

I use the Primary Arms 4-14 with the ACSS for 308 for my 20 inch 6.5G. Works great at 300 yards.
                  hows it work at 200 and 500?

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Two different ballistic curves so it's not going to work.

I don't know the exact drops on the BDC you are used to but it will be something similar to a Sierra 155gn @ 2,750fps.

Your 18" Grendel will get you around 2,565 for a 123SST.

The respective drops compared side-by-side out to 500yds with a 100yd zero are;

Let's face it, you are going to be trying different ammo in the Grendel and each will have it's own ballistic curve. None of them are going to match the 7.62 and on top of that you won't be able to use a ballistics calculator to help you.

Comment

• Jakal
                      Warrior
                      • May 2014

Or you could develop your handloads, buy a nikon scope with the custom xrt turret for that load and just dial up to 500 yards. Works great for my wife, as long as she has her laser range finder.

Last edited by Jakal; 02-19-2017, 01:44 PM.
                      ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• LR1955
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2011

FB:

I did the same thing about ten years ago. I used a Nightforce Velocity Reticle made for 'low' velocity .308 which in ballistic terms equated to a Grendel firing a 120 grain Match King at about 2550 fps. I was pretty surprised that at 600 yards, the thing actually came within a minute in elevation. With all that said, the reticle was cluttered and difficult to use, just like any other fixed reticle. As for shooting 8 inch steel to 500, as long as you can see your sight picture clearly enough and you know if you need to hold or favor on the target, then it ought to be fine. You should look at a 10X in my opinion. Maybe 8 at the low end.

All that said, I would rather go with a reticle using minutes of angle. Probably a big tick each 2 minutes with a smaller one each minute. Many optics like this also have the lower minute increment cut into sections for range estimation. Pretty handy and not cluttered. Same concept for mils if you like using mils.

LR55

Comment

• Lightning8
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2015

hows it work at 200 and 500?
                          There was a range in SW GA that had steel silhouettes out to 1200+ yards. Approximately one year ago I spent 2 days there shooting with multiple rifles. I had no issues hitting the steel silhouettes ranging from 200 to 800 yards with my 20 inch 6.5G using the discontinued PPU 120 and the PA 4-14 with ACSS 308 reticle using the reticle BDC - never dialed. Now - I am saying hitting the total silhouette steel which is torso sized not saying I was hitting an exact spot at 800 yards. Frankly - at 800 yards, I could not see the bullet impact - only saw the steel react and heard a strike.

Comment

• 6.5fanboy
                            Unwashed
                            • Feb 2017

thanks guys, I appreciate the input. looks like Ill go with some mil dots.

Comment

• jpm98vmi
                              Unwashed
                              • Jan 2016

I've just started to evaluate it... but figure it's worth sharing the Nikon "Spot On" app. Available online and for both phone systems.

Just another tool in the toolbox.
                              jpm
                              Last edited by jpm98vmi; 02-23-2017, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X