• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wheelguner
    Warrior
    • Oct 2011

MTAC 1.5-6 Ballistic CQ

Burris offers the ability to print out an image of their reticles customized for a given load. They also offer range card printing as well. Here is the link to their site:

I am attaching a sample showing the MTAC 1.5-6 with the Ballistic CG and calibrated to the Hornady Factory 123gr AMAX. You will need to redo it for your geographic area and temperature.

It is easy to do. I think you will like the Burris Scopes. I have the XTR II 1-8x24MM Circle Dot First Focal Plane reticle on one of my Grendels. I prefer a true !X scope for close in work.
    MTAC 1.5-6 Ballistic CQ.pdf

Comment

• topcaat1
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2011

I have an ACOG with a BDC cross hair reticle for a 5.56 20 inch barrel. Works great on my 6.5 Grendel with a 16 inch barrell using 107 SMKs or 108 Lapuas.
      Muzzle velocity is right around 2525 fps. Did have to sight it in 2.5 inches high at 100yds. Using the 100 yd. cross hair its pretty much dead on at 200yds. At 3, 4 and 500 yds it hits within a couple inches of the respective cross hairs, Thats within the margin of error for me using a 4X scope. Despite what my ballistic software says, for some reason it hits about 6 inches low at 600 yds. Think it must be a problem from when the scope was made. Hits on 8 inch steel plates are easy out to 400 and not so difficult at 500 yds. In the past I used 123 grain AMax at 2425 fps. Results were similar but it was hard on bolts and brass with my prefered powder.
      Not sure I would go out and buy an ACOG now due to the price, but love it on this rifle. Bought mine prior to a depoyment in 2004 before the Corps issued them to everyone, and took it on my next deployment because I trusted it. Now it has sentimental value. I think possibly BDC for 5.56 or 7.62 carbine might match even better?

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by topcaat1 View Post
        I have an ACOG with a BDC cross hair reticle for a 5.56 20 inch barrel. Works great on my 6.5 Grendel with a 16 inch barrell using 107 SMKs or 108 Lapuas.
        Muzzle velocity is right around 2525 fps. Did have to sight it in 2.5 inches high at 100yds. Using the 100 yd. cross hair its pretty much dead on at 200yds. At 3, 4 and 500 yds it hits within a couple inches of the respective cross hairs, Thats within the margin of error for me using a 4X scope. Despite what my ballistic software says, for some reason it hits about 6 inches low at 600 yds. Think it must be a problem from when the scope was made. Hits on 8 inch steel plates are easy out to 400 and not so difficult at 500 yds. In the past I used 123 grain AMax at 2425 fps. Results were similar but it was hard on bolts and brass with my prefered powder.
        Not sure I would go out and buy an ACOG now due to the price, but love it on this rifle. Bought mine prior to a depoyment in 2004 before the Corps issued them to everyone, and took it on my next deployment because I trusted it. Now it has sentimental value. I think possibly BDC for 5.56 or 7.62 carbine might match even better?
        TC:

Not really surprising. Select a couple of common rounds of ammo and run them on a ballistics program that gives you a visual and numerical trajectory and compare them. You will find that to 300 yards, everything is very close. You may have an inch or so separating the least efficient to the most efficient. At 500 yards you will see some differences but for most situations, guys will still get hits on steel targets with the same hold or more centered hits with nothing more than a favor on the target being shot. Ballistically, you will see major differences when you shoot at 600 yards and farther. That is when you will either have to use full holds or use parts of the reticle to hold off. Hits become highly problematic, especially if you are holding off for elevation and windage. Thats why any of the 'Christmas Tree' or ballistic types of reticles like the ACOG will do just fine with the Grendel and any other cartridge to about 500 yards.

LR55

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

The marks will be on at some point but where that point is you would have to determine. Different atmospheric conditions, altitude and humidity will also play into effect, Same as if you get the "Custom Turrets for you load from scope manufactures".

Comment

• hardtoseeovergut
            Unwashed
            • May 2016

What about a Leupold with CDS?

Comment

• Kilco
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by hardtoseeovergut View Post
              What about a Leupold with CDS?
              I was also going to suggest this. For my wife, I find a vx-2, vx-3i or vx-r with a CDS dialed in for about 500 yards is hard to beat for ease of use. Just dial required distance and shoot.. my wife has never used hers out beyond 400 yards but at that distance it's dead on...

Comment

• biodsl
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2011

You might try these. BDC for any scope you'd like.

Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• doofus65
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2017

I don't know what ranges you want to be playing with, but I just dropped a 2-7x Burris Fullfield II on my rifle.
                  Cross referencing drop per Nikon Spot-ON web site for a MV of 2500 against a 123 gr SST/Amax and sighting for 200 yards (and looking at the FFII manual's rating for bullet drop), the first hash matches 250 yards and the second hash matches 350.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

BDCs are not as useful for me since I travel to so many different elevations, and see major temp shifts even within a week.

For me, 500yds is almost pointless to shoot at unless there are tiny targets that are challenging to hit in the wind. Even my 12" poppers at 700yds are boring to repeatedly connect on, and I find myself wanting more range.

It is challenging to hit sils at 1100yds or more with my 16" and 18" Grendels in shifting winds with 123gr AMAX. In steady or no wind, not so much.

I use Vortex Viper PSTs. The new Gen II PST is what I recommend, with the HD glass. If you live in an area where temps are more mild, and are close to or at sea level, a BDC might make sense, but you need to know your temp change up or down clicks from the yardage indicators on the BDC, like we had to do with the M3A back in the day.

If you do your homework with a ballistics program and see how much temp affects your trajectory, you can start to see a pattern in practical values in how much environmentals will change your POI. You'll start to see that at 300yds, not much changes. As you go farther out, the increments in POI will become more pronounced.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• TMac
                      Unwashed
                      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                      You might try these. BDC for any scope you'd like.

http://customturretsystems.com/
                      I've used them. They were accurate to 600, as far as I shot. Important to use the right dope and put the on label correctly.

Comment

Working...
                      X