• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gltucker
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2017

My first 6.5 Grendel Build

I went on my first hog hunt about a month ago in South Texas. I took my AR-15 which I had built with a buddy and my Thompson Center Encore in 450 bushmaster. While I ended up getting a javelina with my AR, the two guns left quite a bit to desired. Since this will be a annual adventure. I've done quite a bit of googling on both the 6.8 spc and 6.5 Grendel. I've landed on the Grendel for my next build. The shots were anywhere from 50-500 yards. Here's what I've come up with, I'd like some feedback:

- Odin barrel kit; not sure if I want to do 18" or 20" barrel. Any thoughts or expierences here?
    6.5 Grendel Barrel 18' Intermediate, includes type 2 BCG and gas tube, 1:8 Twist, made from 416R stainless steel, hand lapped.

- Aero Precision enhanced upper

- I was thinking of purchasing a Atlas compensator at the time I buy the barrel, any experiences?
    - I was going to hand lap the upper reciever.
    - I have a quad rail from a previous build.
    - I have a 4.5x12x40 Nikon Buckmaster that will go on it.
  • realtreehunter
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2016

I'm currently collecting parts for my first Grendel build also so I cant really offer any experience but I will say that after reading reviews here and around the net I went with the Odin barrel kit without the tunable gas block. I'm hoping to find an SLR adjustable Titanium GB or at least convince myself to spend the money. I went with the 20" over the 18" for the extra velocity although I hear there is little difference. The barrel is a nice looking barrel, threads are nice and crisp. I haven't checked it with a suppressor to look for clearance issues but that may not matter to you.

I almost wish that I had paid more attention to the upper you speak of before I bought mine. That handguard mounting system sounds great other than not knowing what handguards it would be restricted to.

Comment

• kpswihart
      Warrior
      • Dec 2016

Odin Works

I just finished a similar build, Anderson lower, Aero Precision enhanced upper, and an 18" Odin package that included barrel, BCG, tube and block. I have just over 30 rounds out of it. Functioning was great and it shoots under an inch at 100yds. The bolt that was shipped is a little short which allows the firing pin to protrude too far, resulting in almost pierced primers. I've got a couple of emails in to Odin. They've been responsive so far. Hopefully we will resolve the bolt issue soon. It is probably worth checking your bolt length. I ordered the package from Midwest PX, I believe the price was $388 shipped and it was in stock. I'm pretty happy with the way my build turned out.

IMG_2786.JPGIMG_2780.JPG

Comment

• jdelong
        Warrior
        • Feb 2017

i have the same 18" kit from Odin, just put together, ready to test fire tomorrow with some Wolf 100gr bi-metal stuff. What do I need to look out for re: the firing pin? Forgive my ignorance...how will in know about pierced primers? Holes in them vs. "dents?" thanks!

Comment

• gltucker
          Unwashed
          • Feb 2017

Originally posted by kpswihart View Post
          I just finished a similar build, Anderson lower, Aero Precision enhanced upper, and an 18" Odin package that included barrel, BCG, tube and block. I have just over 30 rounds out of it. Functioning was great and it shoots under an inch at 100yds. The bolt that was shipped is a little short which allows the firing pin to protrude too far, resulting in almost pierced primers. I've got a couple of emails in to Odin. They've been responsive so far. Hopefully we will resolve the bolt issue soon. It is probably worth checking your bolt length. I ordered the package from Midwest PX, I believe the price was $388 shipped and it was in stock. I'm pretty happy with the way my build turned out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8715[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8716[/ATTACH]

Looks like Midwest PX has everything Odin does minus the gas tube. Odin's BCG in regards to resolving the issue. 15" handguard and any clearance issues with the gas block?

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

Lot of comments about pierced primers lately. Some bolt, some ammo. Odd.
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• gltucker
              Unwashed
              • Feb 2017

That makes me a little nervous. What can one do to protect themselves?

Also - what about brakes. Any suggestions?

Comment

• kpswihart
                Warrior
                • Dec 2016

Originally posted by gltucker View Post
                Looks like Midwest PX has everything Odin does minus the gas tube. Odin's BCG in regards to resolving the issue. 15" handguard and any clearance issues with the gas block?
                The package I ordered came with the gas tube. Hopefully I'll hear more from Odin after the holiday. No issues with the gas block clearance, things went together fairly easily.

Granite Ridge has the best price on hand guards when I was shopping.

Comment

• kpswihart
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by jdelong View Post
                  i have the same 18" kit from Odin, just put together, ready to test fire tomorrow with some Wolf 100gr bi-metal stuff. What do I need to look out for re: the firing pin? Forgive my ignorance...how will in know about pierced primers? Holes in them vs. "dents?" thanks!
                  Open the pic from my earlier post. You can see that the FP strike is cratered out pretty good, way more pronounced than normal.

Comment

• Sticks
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by gltucker View Post
                    That makes me a little nervous. What can one do to protect themselves?

Also - what about brakes. Any suggestions?
                    I have not paid that much attention to the actual source of bolts, so I don't know where that issue is, other than take measurements when you get your bolt. One of these threads has the correct measurements listed.

Ammo wise, I know one of them was Hornady ELD black, and the owner posted the lot#. Have not read any more on that one yet. His bolt/barrel combo had no issues prior to this and shot other ammo fine.

Muzzle Brake - Depends on how much money you have, and if a suppressor is in your future. They all work, just obnoxious for your fellow shooters next to you. I am picking up a plain old A2 flash hider for mine until my Omega gets out of NFA jail sometime around Halloween.
                    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• jdelong
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2017

Originally posted by kpswihart View Post
                      Open the pic from my earlier post. You can see that the FP strike is cratered out pretty good, way more pronounced than normal.
                      I put about 5 rounds through it, suppressed, primers look like all the other ones I found on the ground nearby, so I think good to go. I'll keep an eye on it. What did Odin actually tell you they were going to do?

Comment

• gltucker
                        Unwashed
                        • Feb 2017

Well I'm pretty confident that I am going to order my kit through Midwest PX. Everything I want to get from Odin but cheaper which is weird to me. Plus free shipping and I get a 5% offfor being a FR. Hard to beat. I just need to make sure I don't have to Uncle Sam.

Comment

• kpswihart
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by jdelong View Post
                          I put about 5 rounds through it, suppressed, primers look like all the other ones I found on the ground nearby, so I think good to go. I'll keep an eye on it. What did Odin actually tell you they were going to do?
                          I have not asked for a specific remedy yet. I did ask about their thoughts on the bolt length. Not sure what I want yet, but hope they offer a resolution. I may want a replacement bolt or I may ask for some sort of credit. I'll touch base with them on Wednesday or Thursday if I don't hear from them tomorrow.

Comment

• kpswihart
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2016

Odin requested that I send the bolt back for inspection and indicates they will replace if out of spec. Great communication and willingness to make things right.

Comment

• gltucker
                              Unwashed
                              • Feb 2017

Well it's all together. Turned out pretty good. Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                              X