• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CW458
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by mdram View Post
    21 1/2? website says 8-10
    Said the same when I ordered my barrel in the end of September, just got it today, actually just finished installing it! I was well aware that I would probably have to wait longer than the estimated time (didn't expect it to be quite that long), but it was well worth it.

Comment

• Schrambo
      Warrior
      • Oct 2016

I'd laugh, but I'm on week 12 waiting for a 16" AA lite barrel... It seems I'll have to wait less for the 16" Odin barrels soon to come out...

Comment

• CW458
        Unwashed
        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Schrambo View Post
        I'd laugh, but I'm on week 12 waiting for a 16" AA lite barrel... It seems I'll have to wait less for the 16" Odin barrels soon to come out...
        That barrel is worth the wait, you won't be disappointed. I only waited about 10 weeks for my 16" lite. I built a rifle on the cheap (relatively) around that barrel while waiting on PF and it is turning into my favorite, shoots great and has a great weight balance.

Comment

• dangerzone2
          Unwashed
          • Dec 2016

My end goal in the Grendel world is to have a nice 24" to squeeze every last bit of performance out of it and a 14.5 pinned to 16 for lightweight mid-range rifle. I feel the 20" barrels are more of a "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of thing.

Comment

• cb4017
            Warrior
            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by CW458 View Post
            I would go with PF Criterion..... oh wait, I did and it arrives tomorrow after waiting for 21 1/2 weeks!
            Ouch! Was your barrel nitrided or have any other options? I was told 6-8 weeks when I ordered my barrel beginning of January. Most recent communication advised 3 more weeks.
            Cliff
            USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Dues Vult

Comment

• CW458
              Unwashed
              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by cb4017 View Post
              Ouch! Was your barrel nitrided or have any other options? I was told 6-8 weeks when I ordered my barrel beginning of January. Most recent communication advised 3 more weeks.
              Only had the barrel bead blasted.

Comment

• cb4017
                Warrior
                • Dec 2016

Well, I was forewarned that if I ordered from PF it would take a long while. Guess I can't complain too much..
                Cliff
                USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Dues Vult

Comment

• mdram
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2016

well shilen is nost likely off the list, they use a .125 bolt face depth
                  just some targets for printing
                  https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Bamboofisherman
                    Unwashed
                    • Aug 2017

If you're talking about Maryland the hbar requirement is only for 556/223. Other calibers have to such restrictions.

Comment

• waccamawscout
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2016

Been looking at the xcalibur barrel. Anyone have advice on those.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

I have Shilen 6.5 Grendel barrel I bought from Midway in about 2012 and it uses a .136 bolt. A barrel can be chambered to use either .125 or .136 and Shilen sell a lot of barrel blanks. It's entirely possible someone has chambered a Shilen blank with a .125 bolt. I read someone had a correspondence with Shilen Rifles Inc. requesting info on a 6.5 Grendel barrel. The person on the phone said they used .125 bolts. I don't know if Shilen sells 6.5 Grendel barrels with .125 bolts directly from Shilen Rifles Inc. or the rep made a mistake. I know Shilen supplies 6.5 Grendel barrels with .136 bolts to Midway.
                        Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-09-2017, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• mdram
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Bamboofisherman View Post
                          If you're talking about Maryland the hbar requirement is only for 556/223. Other calibers have to such restrictions.
                          problem is this is not in writing anyplace
                          there is no mention of caliber in the law iirc
                          if you have a letter or a source please share

Comment

• Kilco
                            Chieftain
                            • Jan 2016

As an Odin Works fanboy, and have sold 3 different 20" DMR barrels that all shot under 1 MOA with factory ammo, I feel obligated to recommend the Odin Works. You wouldn't be disappointed.

All barrels mentioned will probably deliver what your looking for though.

Comment

• Kilco
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2016

As of last year when I had mine from midway, they used a .136 AA bolt

Comment

• mdram
                                Warrior
                                • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
                                As of last year when I had mine from midway, they used a .136 AA bolt
                                well then shilens customer service was wrong, they are the ones that stated a .125 bolt face depth

here is the info direct from shilen

"here is no difference between Brownell/Shilen. barrels and ours.

Shilen Rifles, Inc. is a custom rifle manufacturer and does not adhere to SAMMI Specifications. SAMMI was created to standardize dimensions in order to allow interchangeability between large OEM producers and consumers. As a company whose focus is solely based on providing World Class Accuracy we do not feel that certain SAMMI Specifications produce the most accurate results and require modifications in order to produce the accuracy we strive for on a daily basis. Therefore, because we do not adhere to every single SAMMI Specification we cannot state that we are a SAMMI Spec Manufacturer. At Shilen Rifles, Inc. we strive to give the customer a more customized World Class Accuracy that some manufacturers who use standardized specifications cannot produce. "

"We use mil-spec bolts. They are carpenters steel, shot peened and magnetic pulse inspected. We do not use or offer any chrome bolts. The bolt has a .125" face depth "

Comment

Working...
                                X