X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

.003 setback is a popular 'standard' for reliable functioning in a gas gun. .001 is a standard for bolt guns given you are not relying on a recoil spring to shift the bolt into battery. The extra compound leverage of a bolt handle permits almost no setback.

I use .004 as it never seems to be so precise that every case is exactly .004. Some are .003 and some will be .005 but most are .004. I figure if I use .004 at least they will all be a minimum of .003 and that guarantees reliable cycling.

I agree with the other guys. If you have screwed the die in until it meets the shell holder at the apex of the toggle-over and it cannot go any further then it will be the thickness of your shell-holder. The simple and cheapest fix is to try another brand of shell holder. It's tempting to think there's something wrong with the die but that is less likely than how high the shell holder sits the case.
    Last edited by Klem; 02-21-2017, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Other forum members have taken a few thousandths off their shell holder to get the proper shoulder set back. If you run your die to deep it will put a crease in the brass just ahead of the web. This crease can impede the brass case from chambering.

Comment

• Fox84
        Unwashed
        • Feb 2017

You guys are pretty smart. I'am not using the correct shell holder. There is a lot of up and down slop in the holder I'am using. I will try to find a correct hornady shell holder and the correct comparator for 6.5. A sheridan gauge will be nice too.

Thanks for all the help!

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
        Last edited by LRRPF52; 02-21-2017, 09:46 PM. Reason: Removed excessive post space from hashes

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

This one of the things covered in Volume II of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks. You should match your shell holder brand with your dies, and even then, you might not be getting the full setback needed to size properly.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I bought my Sheridan gauge from Alexander Arms a few years ago and added it onto an order when they had Lapua brass on sale. I'm still kicking myself for not ordering more brass back then.

Comment

• Fox84
              Unwashed
              • Feb 2017

It was not a case shoulder issue. In fact, all the cases were in saami specs according to my Wilson gauge.
              My problem was about 14 of my 123gr Hornady Amax bullets had a much diferent ogive than the other 86. I checked with a bullet comparator and they were .050 longer. After measuring you could look and see see the diference. I'am sure they are contacting the lands.

Thanks again.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Fox84 View Post
                It was not a case shoulder issue. In fact, all the cases were in saami specs according to my Wilson gauge.
                My problem was about 14 of my 123gr Hornady Amax bullets had a much diferent ogive than the other 86. I checked with a bullet comparator and they were .050 longer. After measuring you could look and see see the diference. I'am sure they are contacting the lands.

Thanks again.
                Any chance some 120gr AMAX got mixed in with those 123gr AMAX?

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• jkingrph
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2014

I have the sizing die screwed into my press until it meets the shell holder at the top of the stroke. Then cams over.

Out of the 60 rds I reloaded only 11 will not chamber. Of course all the new stuff runs as well.
                  I had that problem. My solution was to take some w/d sandpaper and slowly sand off the top surface of my shell holder so the case could enter my sizing die just a bit more. I did not make any measurements, just stop and go, trial and error. I got my Redding dies back in the days before the cartridge dimensions were fully standardized if that means anything.
                  Member before 2010, account deleted per 2011 spam attack

Comment

• Fox84
                    Unwashed
                    • Feb 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    Any chance some 120gr AMAX got mixed in with those 123gr AMAX?
                    The bullets weigh 120 gr with red tip. I aggree but I dont have any 120 amax's to compare to.

I went to the range and fired all of my reloads and a box of factory Hornady 123 Amax. Now to find a favorite load to out shoot factory stuff.
                    Last edited by Fox84; 03-10-2017, 11:25 AM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

The bullets weigh 120 gr with red tip. I aggree but I dont have any 120 amax's to compare to.

I went to the range and fired all of my reloads and a box of factory Hornady 123 Amax. Now to find a favorite load to out shoot factory stuff.
                      That's a 120gr AMAX then if it weighs 120gr and has a red tip.

That will have a totally different base to ogive measurement than the 123gr AMAX since it has a tangent ogive.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• diddlyv
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2016

Shot high power for years, using M1A shot with a bunch of high masters most shot bolt guns some shot gas guns, no one I knew used Small base dies for either 7.62 or 5.56. I use hornady new dimension dies on my grendel no issues at all chambering. I did find using Hornady shell holders vs Lyman sets the shoulder back farther without moving the die than did the die with the Lyman shell holder
                        Queen of Battle
                        Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• StoneTower
                          Unwashed
                          • Oct 2016

If I was using a single stage press, I would modify the shell holder before I would touch the die. I always modify the least expensive part unless I know for sure what the offending part is (in which case I fix the problem).

Comment

• Kilco
                            Chieftain
                            • Jan 2016

I've used the Hornady full length die now for two different chambers and both functioned flawlessly.

Comment

Working...
                            X