• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SDet View Post
    Honestly, they're not bad. It's not hard at all to spend well over a grand on a rifle, then do the same on a scope. But a single suppressor can be used on 10 rifles. Factor the benefits and that they don't wear out? We've got it pretty good outside of the nfa wait.
    They do wear out. They get absolutely hammered by muzzle pressure - especially the internals closest to the muzzle.

Comment

• SDet
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2016

Okay, but in comparison to the other parts of a rifle, they don't. Wear on a normal rifle (no Sbr or full auto) wear will be noticeable after 10k+ rounds, and any decent one has a warranty that will recore for life. Compare that to the cost of ammo and barrels to get there, and they're pretty long lasting.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
        Chieftain
        • May 2012

based on my understandings from reading the hearing protection act the manufacturing aspect is not going to be deregulated under the current regulation so that aspect is not going effect consumer costs just remove the tax stamp and waiting period also they would be required to be sold via ffl and have standard background check placed in place of the nfa system so i really dont see cost going down at though some of the cheaper models and companies will ramp up production and current manufacturers may start producing entry level models but in the first year demand will surge such as to out pace production and we will probably see an increase in price initially
        Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Okay, but in comparison to the other parts of a rifle, they don't. Wear on a normal rifle (no Sbr or full auto) wear will be noticeable after 10k+ rounds, and any decent one has a warranty that will recore for life. Compare that to the cost of ammo and barrels to get there, and they're pretty long lasting.
          Unfortunately they do. Suppressors wear out from baffle erosion and baffle strikes.

Have a look at the warranty detail of US suppressor manufacturers. Those that offer lifetime warranty's do not cover normal wear and tear, incorrect threading or baffle strikes. They cover manufacturer workmanship and defects only...for a lifetime.

Wear on a normal rifle only noticeable after '10K rounds' is a generalisation. Some people hammer their rifles. Others change barrels after 3K rounds. It depends. But one thing is for sure...suppressors will eventually wear out or are damaged from operator error.

Comment

• SDet
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2016

I've seen quite a few cans recored, under warranty, from wear and tear. Baffle strikes can be avoided, and following the guidelines of the manufacturer, watching heat limits, following barrel length guidelines, and starting with a good product will last a very long time. And over that time, they're pretty cheap.

Comment

• howl
              Warrior
              • Nov 2015

So for various reasons, US made suppressors are a premium quality product with a limited market. That makes sense.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by howl View Post
                So for various reasons, US made suppressors are a premium quality product with a limited market. That makes sense.
                There are several price point markets for suppressors in the US.

A lot of the .22 cans even will be made to a pretty high standard though, since it is so hard to get paperwork through.

You have your $250-$300 rimfire cans.

You have your $600-$700 centerfire cans.

$700-$900 centerfire cans

$900-$1100 centerfire cans

$1100-$2200 centerfire cans

A lot of your larger bore, magnum-rated cans will cost a pretty penny, or something exotic like OSS, and the Surefire SOCOM cans.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• wraith1516
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2014

So if hpa passes will we be able to cans from other countrys and if so I would rather go that route than pay for a way overpriced american made one

Comment

• Rickc
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2016

The guy that started it all

Comment

• SDet
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2016

I don't think so. It's as much our import and export laws as theirs. That said, there will be cheap disposable cans like in other countries. Most of the cans on the US market are high quality, and I don't see those companies changing.

Comment

• Rickc
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2016

I don't think so. It's as much our import and export laws as theirs. That said, there will be cheap disposable cans like in other countries. Most of the cans on the US market are high quality, and I don't see those companies changing.
                        Presently it is a small nitch market. Probably the greatest reason for high prices.

Obviously if sales go up prices can go down. With todays CNC machines high quality components can be manufactured very quickly and production can be ramped up rapidly.

The suppressor market is being adversely impacted by this pending legislation. People are holding back on purchases waiting to see what happens. Some manufactures may be forced to close.

If the restrictions are lifted we will see a boom in sales like we saw with AR's after the ban expired.

Comment

• Sticks
                          Chieftain
                          • Dec 2016

Well, I chose not to hold my breath for the Professional Politicians to pass this HPA. I've been putting off/saving for 4 years and finally submitted the paperwork at the end of January.

I got asked by 3-4 people while I was going through this "Why are you buying now? When they pass the HPA you can just come in and buy it then take it home same day"

My response - much like was mentioned above - "First, if it passes, you and every other vendor will be out of stock within in minutes - those that got here first. Second, because of the insane demand, the prices are going to probably double for the first 6 months if not longer. Third, if it passes, I have mine paid for and waiting on your back room shelf so I can just stroll in at my convenience and pick it up. As far as my $200 check to the ATF, well the wording right now is that I and everyone else since sometime in 2015 will get it back so it's a win win. If it does not pass, I am still in Que to get mine."
                          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Red Dawn
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2016

^^^^ Sticks has it figured out. Don't wait to buy if you're wanting a can. Do it now if you're gonna wait you might as well be waiting on the stamp to be approved...winning !! If HPA passes you will be refunded the $200
                            "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country." James Madison

Comment

• Bigs28
                              Chieftain
                              • Feb 2016

I spoke to two different manufacturers of suppressors at the Big 3 East media event in Daytona Beach Florida last call. Both companies stated if the HPA past their business costs would be cut by more than half. The cost of u.s. suppressors will go down and continue to go down as more companies come into the market plus you won't have to be paying the $200 tax stamp.

Comment

• keystone183
                                Warrior
                                • Mar 2013

I really do hate to say it....but HPA = Pipe Dream. No shot in hell. And don't be holding your breath on stuff that got them elected either.....

Comment

Working...
                                X