• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AZBackcountry
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2016

6.5 ELD-X for Grendel?

6.5 Grendel res.jpg
    Life is fun when your ammo budget is more than your house payment.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Would you tell use where you heard this sir.

Comment

• AZBackcountry
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2016

From a gunsmith friend of mine who has another friend who was at the Shot Show and was told that Hornady was coming out with a new Grendel AR ELD-X bullet for hunting. He was also told that they where suspending manufacturing of some bullets. The same thing happened in 2013. My adult son saw that Hornady removed SST's from their 2017 copy right list. I found that the Hornady site states that the ELD-X has an improved heat resistant tip.

Comment

• Troutguide
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

It's only available in 6.5 Creedmoore in 143gr I doubt that it would work in a Grendel.
        "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• 37L1
          Warrior
          • Jan 2015

They are in the process of replacing the AMax with the ELD-M. 100, 120, 123, and 130. And, of course, they will cost more.

It makes sense that eventually they will replace the SST with the ELD-X.

Comment

• hikfromstik
            Warrior
            • Oct 2016

I'm sure Hornady will pull a "Amax - eld " switch , but this time put the"magical " tip in the sst and BAM here comes the ELD-X. Heck , if they will lower the price such with the black ELD match I'll grin ear to ear .

Comment

• am4966
              Chieftain
              • Jul 2014

I've noticed the price of the ELD-M is cheaper than a box of 20 AMax, so if it's priced higher. it's from the seller getting as much as they can for a new ammo offering. I don't know about the ELD-X in a smaller bullet for the Grendel. But I'm sure it's coming at some point.
              12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
              Surge - Rugged Suppressor
              Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• bakabone25
                Warrior
                • Dec 2016

Im not sure if any of you have compared, but im getting about 85 fps less with the eld bullet than with the amax. IMO the amax is also shooting tighter groups in my 18" grendel. Wondering if anyone else is seeing the same. im averaging 2547 with the amax, and around 2473 with the eld. and a lot more velosity spread.

Comment

• AZBackcountry
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2016

I have a backorder for 5 boxes of Hornady 123 ELD Match BLACK 6.5 Grendel that I bought for the brass. It will be interesting if they fly slower than the 123 AMAX ammo in my rifle too. I'm getting a 2655 average string w/ JP Supermatch 22" 1:8 Med SS which I can't explain since Hornady says 2580 from a 24" barrel. I was expecting around 2530. The spent brass is perfect, so no over pressure. Chrono working per test with known fps from my 6mm Creedmoor 10 minutes later.
                  I am still in the air on the hunting bullet to reload. 123gr6.5SSTs are on No Backorder. I'm wanting high ballistic coefficient and a bullet that will expand on soft tissue but will exit on a deer.
                  I still have 4 1/2 boxes of SST ammo that are flying just a hair slower than the AMAXs that I'm treating like gold. I have 5 more boxes on backorder.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by AZBackcountry View Post
                    I have a backorder for 5 boxes of Hornady 123 ELD Match BLACK 6.5 Grendel that I bought for the brass. It will be interesting if they fly slower than the 123 AMAX ammo in my rifle too. I'm getting a 2655 average string w/ JP Supermatch 22" 1:8 Med SS which I can't explain since Hornady says 2580 from a 24" barrel. I was expecting around 2530. The spent brass is perfect, so no over pressure. Chrono working per test with known fps from my 6mm Creedmoor 10 minutes later.
                    I am still in the air on the hunting bullet to reload. 123gr6.5SSTs are on No Backorder. I'm wanting high ballistic coefficient and a bullet that will expand on soft tissue but will exit on a deer.
                    I still have 4 1/2 boxes of SST ammo that are flying just a hair slower than the AMAXs that I'm treating like gold. I have 5 more boxes on backorder.
                    Each barrel is different, but I've seen fairly consistent results in 18" barrels from Lilja when looking at mv.

The new ELD-M should perform like the AMAX, which has a lower expansion thresh than the SST.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• AZBackcountry
                      Bloodstained
                      • Nov 2016

I bought 600 of the 6.5mm 123gr SST bullets at Cabela's last night with $5 shipping. Tonight they have free shipping. Go figure. They have not shipped yet, but the order is still "In Process". At least it doesn't say "Back-order" or "Discontinued".

Comment

• Fox84
                        Unwashed
                        • Feb 2017

I bought 2 boxes of match black 123 gr ELD at my LGS. @ $21.99 they were 2 bucks cheaper than 123gr amax. I bought them for the brass. I'll see how they fly.

Comment

Working...
                        X