• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CrisAnderson27
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2016

Just Started Reloading, 12.5" and 20" Grendels

Hello ladies and gentlemen!!

I'm just starting reloading for my 12.5" and 20" firearms...and I've been reading here for about 6hrs straight. It's going to be interesting for sure.

For the 12.5" I'm looking really hard at the Speer 90g TNT, and the Sierra 85g Varminter...but the Hornady 95g V-max was interesting too. The idea is home defense, and being able to dissipate energy through two layers of drywall, while still being lethal. Barrier blind isn't really relevant to me at this point...I carry a .40 with 175g HP's for that.

For the 20" rifle, it's sub 200-300ish yard target and varmint/predator stuff...so the same bullets are being looked at, though I'm sure it'll need me to be building up different loads for best accuracy.

I have Ramshot TAC on hand (for my 10.5" .223/5.56 pistol), and I'm hoping I'll be able to use it for both Grendels as well. I'm not looking for the 100% best/ultimate round for every circumstance. More...I'm looking to combine a few easy to get, economical (not cheap) materials for good/great performance in a few specific areas of use.

I went ahead and ordered volume 1 of the Grendel Reloading Handbook...and I'm looking forward to going through it. Any thoughts or suggestions you guys have on bullet choice, or anything else would be very much appreciated!
  • CrisAnderson27
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2016

Found a hard to pass up local deal tonigh on the Sierra Varminters. 450 or so rounds of 85g, and 350 or so of the 100g. $125.

So I guess my initial bullet choices are made, lol. I figure the 100g would be more appropriate for the 20" gun....and the 85's more for the 12.5...but I'm excited to see.

Still looking forward to any input you guys might have.

Comment

• Casper77
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2015

I shoot an 18" and so far I've had great luck with the 90 gr TNT's, 120 gr SMK's, and 129 gr ABLR's. I like your thoughts on same bullet, different barrels for both home defense and varmint work. It would be cool if you could get good accuracy out of both, while less critical in the 12.5, with the same round. As far as penetration goes I'll leave that up to those on here that are more experienced with it. Good luck!

Comment

• CrisAnderson27
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2016

Thanks Casper! I've got a 3-9x32 on my 12.5"...so it's capable of sub MOA if I can do it (as compared to a 4MOA red dot). The idea originally was to use the 12.5" rig as a closer range (sub 200yd or so) hunting setup, while the 20" gun was going to be for longer range target and varminting. I have a 10.5" 2.23/5.56 that I load 55grn Hornady SP rounds for that is/was my main home defense piece...but if I can setup my midget Grendel to do the job better, that's a no brainer.

Comment

• CrisAnderson27
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2016

So, I finally got some stuff made and out to my range today for some chrono work. I built five of each round with varying powder charges from 29.5-31.5. The brass was clean on all of them, and it appears that I could go higher...though I'm pretty happy with the results as it stands. Highest accuracy was achieved at 31.5 grains...so for brevity sake (and because I didn't figure out/remember how to work my chrono app until the last set) I'll share the data from that.

I think it'll be easiest if I post pictures and go from there:

First, the 20" Grendel. The barrel is from AR15 Performance, with 5R Rifling.

Case: Hornady
          Primer: Federal No.205 (I know it says Win in the screenshot, my mistake)
          Powder: TAC
          Charge: 31.5 grains
          Bullet: Sierra 85 grain HP
          COL: 2.135"

First, five shots with Hornady 123grn SST's. Yes, my glass is off a bit right lol. I'd sighted it in last with glasses on.

Now six shots with the reloads:

And here are the velocities:

And a short video of the shots with the SST's:

Comment

• CrisAnderson27
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2016

Next, the 12.5" Grendel. The barrel is from Black Hole Weaponry, with 3R rifling. As you could see from the video above, these are shot off of my tailgate. This gun was shot off my elbows, holding the magazine just above touching (no bipod like the 20" gun lol).

(Same cartridge)
            Case: Hornady
            Primer: Federal No.205 (I know it says Win in the screenshot, my mistake)
            Powder: TAC
            Charge: 31.5 grains
            Bullet: Sierra 85 grain HP
            COL: 2.135"

Top right is 5 shots with the SST's, bottom left of the red are 5 shots with the Sierra's (after a quick sight adjustment). Ignore everything to the bottom and left side of the picture, as the center of the target had been used for something else.

And the velocities. There's two screenshots, because I shot this gun before I remembered how to save groups and info in my Caldwell app, lol. I'm including the two shot string because it has the data for temp etc on it:

All in all...I'm happy enough with just this one setup, not to bother making anything else. I've considered upping the charge some, just to see what happens...but I'm content with the accuracy as it sits...so I don't know if it's really worth bothering to put effort into, lol.

Anyway, just thought I'd update for those of you who may have been curious. I just started reloading very recently...so this has been a really enjoyable and educational experience for me. Thanks to all of you contributing in this forum section for all you've shared. Truly.

Comment

• CrisAnderson27
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2016

I also found it interesting that I only lost 331fps average, for almost 8" of barrel. 44FPS per inch. I truly expected to lose more.

Comment

Working...
              X