• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slinkz
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2016

Pistol/SBR Hunting?

Lately the idea of a 10.5-12.5" Grendel pistol/SBR build has been calling my name and I was just curious if anyone uses one and what their experiences have been. I read a few threads from a little while back that made it sound like Grendel's would be pretty effective from this shorter length, though you typically hear about 6.8 and BLK being the go-to's for shorter barrels.

My primary use would be for a shorter hunting rig that will be easy enough to get in/out of cars in pursuit of some west Texas hogs. If anyone has any related experience, I'd love to hear about it.
  • Jakal
    Warrior
    • May 2014

Here is a good thread...

Anyone on here have extensive history with a 6.5 Grendel SBR? What length would you recommend? Any advice on things to do or not to do? My current Grendel is a 16" build. Looking into doing a future SBR build.
    ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• Slinkz
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2016

Hey thanks for the link.

That was definitely the most useful thread that I've found. Seems like there isn't a ton of real world info right now on how these shorter barrels stack up, and I appreciate hearing about your experiences on game. Have you had an opportunity to see how your setup does on pigs?

Comment

• keystone183
        Warrior
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Slinkz View Post
        Hey thanks for the link.

That was definitely the most useful thread that I've found. Seems like there isn't a ton of real world info right now on how these shorter barrels stack up, and I appreciate hearing about your experiences on game. Have you had an opportunity to see how your setup does on pigs?
        This isn't the biggest one i've got with my 12.5". Just the biggest one i have a picture of.

Comment

• Slinkz
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2016

Nice! Can you tell me a little bit more about your barrel/ammo/ shot distance? How big would you say was your biggest?

Comment

• Jakal
            Warrior
            • May 2014

I'm from Central Indiana and though we do have pigs in the very northern and southern parts of the state, none around where I am at
            ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• Slinkz
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Jakal View Post
              I'm from Central Indiana and though we do have pigs in the very northern and southern parts of the state, none around where I am at
              Ah, gotcha. Well I appreciate your input nonetheless

Comment

• keystone183
                Warrior
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Slinkz View Post
                Nice! Can you tell me a little bit more about your barrel/ammo/ shot distance? How big would you say was your biggest?
                Biggest one has probably been around 250 give or take. Most of ours have a strong russian influence and don't get massive like the more feral ones do, and that is about as big as we see them. Almost all i've shot through that 12.5" BHW barrel is factory 123 Amax. Does the trick nicely. Ranges from real close to probably 250 or so max.

Comment

• jim_bob
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2014

I haven't had the opportunity to shoot any pigs, but my 11.5" lilja barreled Grendel has taken 4 good size whitetail deer and a couple of coyotes in the past 2 years. I have little reason to tote a longer barreled gun up and down mountains. Shorty grendels are legit hunting rifles.

Comment

• Slinkz
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by keystone183 View Post
                    Biggest one has probably been around 250 give or take. Most of ours have a strong russian influence and don't get massive like the more feral ones do, and that is about as big as we see them. Almost all i've shot through that 12.5" BHW barrel is factory 123 Amax. Does the trick nicely. Ranges from real close to probably 250 or so max.

How was your shot placement?

Comment

• Slinkz
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by jim_bob View Post
                      I haven't had the opportunity to shoot any pigs, but my 11.5" lilja barreled Grendel has taken 4 good size whitetail deer and a couple of coyotes in the past 2 years. I have little reason to tote a longer barreled gun up and down mountains. Shorty grendels are legit hunting rifles.
                      Good to hear. Would you mind elaborating a bit more on the ammo, distances, and what kinda damage you were seeing?

Comment

• jim_bob
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2014

I've only shot animals with 123 grain Hornady SSTs. The longest shot on a deer was around 190 yards, double lung and a little heart, took a few steps and crumpled. Most of the other deer were taken within 130 yards and stopped within a few yards of where they were shot, except for one, and that's only because it rolled down a steep incline. I'm seeing small entry wounds and what I consider large exit wounds. I wait for good broadside shots as I'm not the best shooter and I believe in making clean ethical kills. The coyotes never had a chance. If I were concerned about the pelt, I'd shoot something other than the 123 grain SSTs.

I was able to put two nice does in the freezer this year. I hunt the Appalachian Mountains of Virginia and am very grateful for the time I am able to spend in the woods in pursuit of whitetail deer in hopes of putting meat on the table. This is the second year I have hunted with my 11.5" Lilja barreled 6.5 Grendel and I'm

You can see the entry wounds on these two, the second one is the one that tumbled down the mountain. I'll check to see if I have any pictures of exit wounds. I tend not to post those.

For some reason

Comment

Working...
                        X