• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enduin
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2017

Problems with CPD magazines

After months of using 30rd PMAGS loaded with 5-6 rounds without ever experiencing a malfunction on my WPA Grendel upper, I decided that I wanted a bit more capacity in my mags and I got two CPD mags, one 10rd and one 28rd.

Yesterday I got the magazines, and I wanted to see if they worked ok. So I loaded the 10rd with 10 rounds and the 28rd with 20 rounds, put them in the rifle and started cycling it manually, making sure every time to pull the charging handle all the way and allowing the bolt to close with full spring pressure.

I started with the 10rd and after 4 rounds I got a FTF. Cleared it and cycled the rest of the rounds. Then I went on to cycle the 28rd and got first a FTF, then a double feed, then another FTF! I reloaded the 20 rounds and cycled them again, and the second time I didn't have malfunctions.

I'm unsure about what to make of this, and I would really appreciate some advise from other CPD mags owners! Should I try lubing the mags? I know they are supposed to have a teflon self lubricating coating, so I wouldn't lube them, but maybe they still need some lube? Or is there any sort of break-in period with these mags?

Thanks!
  • csmwhjones
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2016

FWIW, I bought ASC mags and they did almost same thing during dry fire drills, noticed some scratching on brass so touched up the bottom of feed lips with 600 grit. Took to the range and they worked solid under fire.

Comment

• enduin
      Unwashed
      • Feb 2017

Thanks for answering csmwhjones! I will try to use them at the range, maybe they do require some minimal break-in. I will make sure to bring the PMAGS, though, as I would hate to drive a long time (the outdoor range I got to is quite far) just to spend my range time clearing malfunctions.

You never lubed your mags right?

Comment

• jim_bob
        Warrior
        • Jul 2014

Load up your new mags and let them sit for as long as you can. I like to let my new ones sit loaded for at least week. (This may be an old wives' tale, but I haven't had any issues with new mags once I started this ritual, but I run ASC and ELanders.)

Comment

• csmwhjones
          Unwashed
          • Aug 2016

No lube ever, but disassemble check for burrs if rounds don't go in smooth. Most experience with Uncle Sams bargain basement mags in desert environments

Comment

• enduin
            Unwashed
            • Feb 2017

Thanks guys, I took the mags apart today and cleaned the inside with a dry patch. No burrs. Not much came out but there was a little bit of post-manufaturing dirt in some spots. I tried loading them to full capacity (btw the 28 rounder takes only 26 rounds) and manually cycled them again, and everything was fine. I'm going to leave them fully loaded until I go to the range in a few days, even if it's an old wive's tale, it certainly can't hurt!

I'll also make sure to come back to report on how they are doing after I put a few hundred rounds through them.

Comment

• enduin
              Unwashed
              • Feb 2017

Hey guys, just wanted to give you an update on my CPD mags: today I went to the range and I put around 100 rounds through the rifle without any malfunction! I suspect they just needed some form of minimal break-in. As of right now they appear to be GTG but I'll keep you posted if there is anything down the road.

Also wanted to mention that the 28 round mag holds only 26 rounds.

Comment

Working...
              X