• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Twitch
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2017

Polymer mags

I know this has been discussed a bunch and I searched but didnt find anything very recent. Anybody have any updates from any manufacturers on polymer mags for the Grendel? I emailed magpul about a month ago now, and never got a response. My thoughts would be to make them like a Glock mag, if the technology is not available for a "solid" polymer mag. So far this is the only downfall I've found for this cartridge other than not being able to find any hornady 123gr sst's right now(for reloading). Which by the way, hornady customer service says they should be shipping mid March, if anyone is interested.
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

I don't own a polymer mag.

What have I been missing?
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Retro
      Warrior
      • Jul 2016

I don't know about any polymer mags as all that I use are the ten round steel mags and usually only load five rounds in them. I actually bought a ten round polymer mag for .223 and the thing sucks. The bolt won't lock open after the last round is fired. The bolt locks open just fine with all of my other mags.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
        Chieftain
        • May 2012

i use a 10 round 556 pmag and just load 3 for playing around at the range the polymer is a little nicer to the brass
        Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Twitch
          Unwashed
          • Feb 2017

Yeah, I have gotten a few rounds in my 5.56 polymer mags. Just wondering if anybody has heard about any companies making Grendel specific mags. Polymer is a lot easier on the brass and no clunky metal mag(JMO) hitting on stuff while hunting. I havent had any problems out of my 5.56 PMAGS as far as feeding(using 5.56 ammo) or last round hold open, if I have, I can't remember them it's been so long.

Comment

• am4966
            Chieftain
            • Jul 2014

I emailed the popular companies about making a Grendel Mag. Non of them where considering it, Magpul basically said they won't confirm or deny future product offerings.
            12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
            Surge - Rugged Suppressor
            Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Twitch
              Unwashed
              • Feb 2017

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
              I emailed the popular companies about making a Grendel Mag. Non of them where considering it, Magpul basically said they won't confirm or deny future product offerings.
              Thanks

Comment

• stanc
                Banned
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                I know this has been discussed a bunch and I searched but didnt find anything very recent. Anybody have any updates from any manufacturers on polymer mags for the Grendel?
                There is no reason for an update. Viable polymer Grendel mags can't be made for the standard AR15 mag well, and nobody is interested in making Grendel lower receivers with enlarged mag wells, and Grendel-specific polymer mags to fit the special lowers.

Comment

• maximus924
                  Unwashed
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                  There is no reason for an update. Viable polymer Grendel mags can't be made for the standard AR15 mag well, and nobody is interested in making Grendel lower receivers with enlarged mag wells, and Grendel-specific polymer mags to fit the special lowers.
                  Is it because of the diameter of the brass is too large? I was under the impression that if Magupul modified their follower, and tweeked the top feed lips that it would be possible in a pmag. what am I missing?

Comment

• stanc
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by maximus924 View Post
                    Is it because of the diameter of the brass is too large? I was under the impression that if Magupul modified their follower, and tweeked the top feed lips that it would be possible in a pmag. what am I missing?
                    P-Mag walls and lips are thicker than on steel mags, which prevents proper stacking and feeding. See following post for pics. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ll=1#post12643

The issues were pretty well hashed out in that thread. Suggest reading it.

Back in 2011, Bill Alexander said he was designing a hybrid polymer/steel mag, which he said is the only way to get a viable "polymer" Grendel mag that fits in the standard mag well, but obviously that didn't come to fruition. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ll=1#post12764

Comment

• wraith1516
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2014

What about lancer

Comment

• Cashflow
                        Unwashed
                        • Nov 2016

Pmags for Grendel

If the upper and lower set for the LWRCI 6.8 were available to build a Grendel would a follower change allow those P-mags to work?

Comment

• stanc
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Cashflow View Post
                          If the upper and lower set for the LWRCI 6.8 were available to build a Grendel would a follower change allow those P-mags to work?
                          We won't know until somebody actually builds a Grendel on the Six8 receiver set and tests it.

Wanna be the first to give it a shot?

Comment

• Cashflow
                            Unwashed
                            • Nov 2016

Actually I would be willing to, I searched for a set last night but could not find one and I don't want to buy a complete rifle just to disassemble it. I need to finish my current build and see how that works out. Waiting on my muzzle brake now, everything else is here.

Comment

• am4966
                              Chieftain
                              • Jul 2014

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                              P-Mag walls and lips are thicker than on steel mags, which prevents proper stacking and feeding. See following post for pics. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ll=1#post12643

The issues were pretty well hashed out in that thread. Suggest reading it.

Back in 2011, Bill Alexander said he was designing a hybrid polymer/steel mag, which he said is the only way to get a viable "polymer" Grendel mag that fits in the standard mag well, but obviously that didn't come to fruition. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ll=1#post12764
                              Originally posted by wraith1516 View Post
                              What about lancer
                              The lancer mag seems to be a perfect match for the Grendel. The have the Steel feed lips and rest is polymer. If the popularity of the Grendel keeps rising then someone will make one. Wefirst need to have more factory ammo options and cheaper Ammo that's not steel case.
                              12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                              Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                              Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

Working...
                              X