• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gltucker
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2017

What's the deal with Grendel mags

I've done quite a bit of googling and reading on here. I understand the 5.56 and the 6.5 Grendel have different case geometry. However I've read things saying that capacity in PMAGs for 6.5 is less than the regular capacity using 5.56 in the same magazine. Now question I have is:

- Does 5.56 magazine cycle 6.5 Grendel rounds reliably?
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Best advice I can give is just use a grendel mag and avoid any headaches from trying to make a 5.56 mag work.

Elander, ASC, CPD in that order.

I started with CPD mags five and ten rounds had no problems with them now I use ASC five rounders at the range and hunting and have the elanders for my home defense grendel.

A polymer mag would be nice but seems no company wants to make such a mag for us running the grendel.

Hope this helps sir.

Comment

• wraith1516
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

Why doesn't Lancer try seams like it would work metal top polymer bottom

Comment

• Bwild97
        Warrior
        • Jan 2015

I would love to see Lancer produce some hybrid mags for the Grendel!!

Comment

• Drift
          Warrior
          • Nov 2014

Question:"Do 5.56 mags cycle Grendel rounds reliably?"
          Answer: Well, for the first 3-4 years of the Grendel, 5.56 mags were all we had. And we fooled around with the the 5.56 feed lips a lot. And we got like 1 in 3 mags to function reliably. It was a PITA.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

I would love to see Lancer produce one myself, heck I would like to see any company make us some polymer mags.

Lancer would be at the top of my list out of all companys, I have sent several emails into Lancer over the last two months and have yet to recive a reply to those emails, will keep sending them till they respond with intel or tell me to jump off a cliff.

If we as members of this board swamp them with emails every week maybe they will do something about it.

But until then mags made by elander, asc and cpd work just fine.

Comment

• Steamburn
              Warrior
              • Apr 2015

Trust only Elanders.
              I tried all sizes and brands and the only ones that work reliably 100% in any size capacity are the Elanders sold by Alexander Arms.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

I have never had a single problem with CPD and ASC mags loaded to max capacity.

I only use 5 and 10 round mags for target and hunting, I do have some elander high capacity mags for home defense.

Comment

• ScoutH57
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2016

So on this note has anyone used these 25 rounders?

Says "new and improved" stainless steel. The last AR stoner 6.5 mag I bought was aluminum if I remember correctly, that was a while ago.

Comment

• ScoutH57
                    Bloodstained
                    • Oct 2016

So I literally just realized ASC makes all these mags..

In case anyone else didn't know. Alexander Arms has some 25 rounders on sale too.

Comment

• LR1955
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by gltucker View Post
                      I've done quite a bit of googling and reading on here. I understand the 5.56 and the 6.5 Grendel have different case geometry. However I've read things saying that capacity in PMAGs for 6.5 is less than the regular capacity using 5.56 in the same magazine. Now question I have is:

- Does 5.56 magazine cycle 6.5 Grendel rounds reliably?
                      Negative. A 5.56 mag will not cycle Grendel rounds reliably. We went through this when the Grendel came out because, like brass, we couldn't get magazines easily. So we did about everything you can think with a 5.56 mag and most of the time we could get three rounds to cycle.

Comment

• sneaky one
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

I hit 5 thru today...

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

Why to go Sneaky, that's what I'm talking bout hard work pays off.

Now here is the real question was that some handload are was it factory rounds that you got to work.

Comment

Working...
                          X