+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Warrior
    Thanks everyone. I think I am on the right path given your comments. I switched to the Grendel for a reduced recoil rifle and I do enjoy shooting it compared to the .30-06. I think it will do anything I need it to do for my normal hunting and I will get past this flinch using it. I think my flinching is a combination of recoil and a relapse of the target panic I had with bowhunting, once the sight picture is right I just yank the trigger instead if being in control through the shot. I have gotten through the archery issue with lots of consistent mental practice and I think this is going to be the same. LR1955 I like the counting exercise, it will make me focus on the correct shot sequence instead of just yanking the trigger when I see a good sight picture, basically what I had to train myself to do with the bow. I am going to start mixing in the snap caps anytime I am range shooting to keep letting me know when I am flinching. Thanks ALL!!

Warrior
    The Grendel recoil is noticeable but not severe. It being noticeable, however, makes the initial work toward eliminating the habit of flinching more challenging.

I do know that 85 - 90 grain bullets recoil a lot less than the mainstream 123 gr pills do. That means one might be able to try them with a light load and fast powder to reduce even further.

Then return to your hunting and target weight bullets when you feel comfortable with the rifle and any residual flinch. If my experience is normal, reverting a flinching state is all too easy. I has taken a long time to get to where I think I have it under control when I'm on my game. I still find myself forgetting to concentrate and blinking or outright flinching on occasion.
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

I agree JASmith. Add a muzzle brake- it's like shooting a .22lr. Always a brake on my rifles at the range. Confidence helps . Both eyes open shooting.

So does a Limbsaver recoil buttstock pad, it's cool.
    Last edited by sneaky one; 03-05-2017 at 01:19 AM.

Warrior
    Well the hardest part is over, admitting that you have a flinch. I denied it till my buddy said here let me load your gun for you.....Yep I had a major flinch. The other problem might be thinking I'm shooting 1" groups at 100yds, how can I miss a whole hog at 50-60 yds. It happens, like the line in American Sniper "Aim small, miss small".

Marksmanship Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by customcutter View Post
    Well the hardest part is over, admitting that you have a flinch. I denied it till my buddy said here let me load your gun for you.....Yep I had a major flinch. The other problem might be thinking I'm shooting 1" groups at 100yds, how can I miss a whole hog at 50-60 yds. It happens, like the line in American Sniper "Aim small, miss small".
    CC:

From American Patriot of something of that name.

Anyway, makes no sense to me putting 'miss' into someone's mind just before they pull a trigger.

Sounds good for a movie, though.

LR55

Quote Originally Posted by customcutter View Post
    ... It happens, like the line in American Sniper "Aim small, miss small".
    Quote Originally Posted by LR1955 View Post
    CC:

From American Patriot of something of that name.

LR55
    "The Patriot" - Mel Gibson
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Warrior
    "The center of an Asprin tablet is exactly the same size as the center of a beach ball. You always shoot at the center.” -Byron Ferguson

This is an archery quote but seems appropriate. Thanks for all the input guys. I will get to shoot again next week and will be putting it all into practice at the range.