• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dinny
    Warrior
    • Jun 2016

Howa Barrel Heating

Take a look at the pictured targets. With the 123gr SST/LVR target, shots 2-4 are tight. Shot 1 was fired from a very clean barrel. With the 120gr Barnes TTSX/RL15 target, shots 1-3 are tight with 4 and 5 wandering. My action screws are tight and I have "dollar bill" clearance all around the barrel. Despite the stock's forend being flimsy, it doesn't contact the barrel as it heats up. Could it just be that my 22" barrel only likes 2-3 shot groups from a seasoned barrel? I'll adjust zero later when I'm not also shooting with the Magnetospeed attached.

I shot the SSTs then the Barnes on the same day.

Thanks, Dinny
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dinny; 02-28-2017, 12:37 AM.
  • SightedIn
    Warrior
    • Jun 2016

Which barrel contour is this?

Comment

• Dinny
      Warrior
      • Jun 2016

22" standard contour, although it seems to be close to a #1 lightweight contour.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• hikfromstik
        Warrior
        • Oct 2016

Mine done the same until I sanded more off the stock . Yes , I could run a bill under barrel too . It was tight and I noticed after a few shots the barrel would hit the stock slightly . After I dremmeled the heck out of it I'm hitting 1" or better at 100yds. It could be the barrel heating , but they usually string in lines for my guns that do it . Try sanding more and make sure it won't touch after it heats then see how it works .

Comment

• Dinny
          Warrior
          • Jun 2016

I have a terrible reputation from destroying anything I touch with a Dremel. I will wrap some flexible sandpaper around a dowel rod and open the barrel channel more. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• Djgrendel
            Warrior
            • Feb 2016

Just out of curiousity, how many rounds of sst did you shoot before that particular group? And how many barnes did you shoot before putting that group on paper? Were the groups fired with the magnetospeed on? Switching bullets mid process can play games with sanity.
            Yard work is not an excuse!

Comment

• Dinny
              Warrior
              • Jun 2016

The SST group was fired from a clean barrel. No other bullets had been fired before that group that day. The Barnes were the second group on paper that day. The Magnetospeed was on the entire range session.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• kmon
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2015

When I know a shooter is capable and I see a flyer separating from a group I suspect bedding of the action more than barrel hearing. (barrel heating one will often start walking and continue walking away as the barrel continues to heat more).

A clean barrel often doesn't shoot to the same point of impact as a fouled barrel. I own a couple that need 5 to 10 fouling shots before they settle down and start shooting like I expect them to.

If there is already clearance between the barrel and stock, I would glass and pillar bed the action to the stock. I have seem that step do a lot on factory rifles for improving accuracy. While at the bedding I also go ahead and free float the barrel, why not since you already have the stock off and it only takes a few minutes to open up the channel enough.

I have never seen a factory rifle accuracy get worse from free floating and bedding and have seen many the accuracy improved, some dramatically.

Comment

• Dinny
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2016

Howa Mini factory stocks are pillar bedded.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• Nodak
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2016

My Howa I've found likes a dirty barrel so to say. Groups where way better after 5-10 shots through it

Comment

• nuthead
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2015

I have exactly the same model and the magnetospeed does change the group size a bit. I've opened my barrel channel up so there's about 1.5mm clearance but i still don't think it's enough... the stock does seem to be the weak point with the rifle - it's way too flexible and I'm not sure you can bed it. It seems to be able to hold 7-10 shots in a tight group before opening up

Comment

• rickt300
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2017

The factory stock does not do well with a bipod on it either. Mine shoots much better now that I have 150 rounds through it and since I quit shooting it off the bipod. I think the weight of the bipod pulled the stock away from the barrel flexing the stock as it was going off. The barrel heating doesn't seem to cause any problems though the cartridge fired at usual bolt action speeds doesn't seem to heat barrels quickly.

Comment

• Dinny
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2016

Originally posted by nuthead View Post
                          it's way too flexible and I'm not sure you can bed it.
                          That is a concern I have when it comes to some synthetic stock materials. Choate makes some forends and stocks from some sort of plastic that won't bond to any normal (inexpensive) bedding materials. I wonder if the same is the case with these HTI stocks?

Has anyone glass bedded a factory stock for the Howa Minis??

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• JASmith
                            Chieftain
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Dinny View Post
                            Take a look at the pictured targets. With the 123gr SST/LVR target, shots 2-4 are tight. Shot 1 was fired from a very clean barrel. With the 120gr Barnes TTSX/RL15 target, shots 1-3 are tight with 4 and 5 wandering. My action screws are tight and I have "dollar bill" clearance all around the barrel. Despite the stock's forend being flimsy, it doesn't contact the barrel as it heats up. Could it just be that my 22" barrel only likes 2-3 shot groups from a seasoned barrel? I'll adjust zero later when I'm not also shooting with the Magnetospeed attached.

I shot the SSTs then the Barnes on the same day.

Thanks, Dinny
                            Was the magnetospeed attached when the groups were shot?

If so, try again with it off -- Any shifting of the device between shots will affect POI. It is really hard to get the strap tight enough to guaranty no movement or slip of the device.
                            shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                            -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Dinny
                              Warrior
                              • Jun 2016

JASmith,
                              Yes it was on and yes it was slipping with nearly every shot. I have 2 more boxes of the 90gr AE ammo to shoot through. Hopefully the accuracy and velocity improves as the barrel breaks in.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

Working...
                              X