• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grendelhunter16
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2017

Critique My First Grendel Build

So, I am putting the component list together for my first Grendel build, and I would like to know what you think. My primary use for the rifle will be hunting, as I live in a state that requires a caliber of .24 or greater when hunting large game, and I want an ar15 platform rifle to use for white tail deer hunting.

Lower - Aero precision stripped
    - Velocity 3lb curved trigger (changed to JMT Saber)
    - DPMS LPK
    - B5 systems SOPMOD enhanced stock (changed to SOPMOD Bravo)
    - Milspec buffer kit with h3 buffer (currently running a carbine buffer)
    - Magpul K2 Grip

Upper- Aero precision M4E1 combo with 15" M-LOK Handguard
    - Odin Works 18" Stainless DMR profile barrel with type 2 bolt face
    - Odin Works BCG
    - Odin Works clamp style low profile tuneable gas block
    - Aero Precision Charging handle (changed to BCM Gunfighter Mod 4)

Optics
    - Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP
    - ADM Quick Detach mount (changed to Aero Precision Ultralight SPR mount)

Please let me know what you think of this component list, and give recommendations or point out anything I missed. I appreciate any feedback you have, and thanks for taking the time to look this over this post.

Update: I have finally completed my first Grendel and first AR build, and all in all I think it went pretty well. I have updated the parts list above with what I changed along the way. Thank you, for all the support I received as I built my rifle. And now to the good stuff...

Grendel Resized.jpg
    Last edited by grendelhunter16; 05-13-2017, 01:44 AM. Reason: updating
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

Very strong. Going to be a very nice rifle.

Comment

• Notellumcreek
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2016

sounds like a solid build to me! post some pics up when you start getting your goodies

Comment

• grendelhunter16
        Unwashed
        • Feb 2017

How do you all feel about the FFP vortex for this purpose? I've only ever used sfp scopes for hunting. Anyone have hands on with this scope? Is the reticle usable at 2.5?

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

Not that particular scope but i won't buy a sfp scope ever again.

Comment

• jim_bob
            Warrior
            • Jul 2014

I love my vortex PST 2.5-10x32! I have no problems at 2.5. That close and you put the crosshairs on target and pull the trigger. Depending how far you need to shoot a shorter barrel may be advantageous.

Comment

• Frank45
              Warrior
              • Mar 2016

I have a pst ffp on my 25-06 and like it so much I put one on my grendel. Great scope for the money. Good luck and be sure to post some pics.

Comment

• brian y
                Warrior
                • Dec 2016

Those parts will make a good looking gun that will do the job, Looking foreword to the pics.
                NRA Endowment Member, GOA Life Member, FPC Member, VDL Member

Comment

• grendelhunter16
                  Unwashed
                  • Feb 2017

Has anyone used the athlon ares btr 2.5-15. Looks promising extra zoom and true zero stop turrets for $150-200 less than the vortex viper pst. Am I missing something? Is the glass that much better on the vortex?

Edit: The price I found was for the Midas not the ares so it is not cheaper than the vortex I apologize, but it still looks like a viable option.
                  Last edited by grendelhunter16; 03-02-2017, 02:48 AM. Reason: Wrong information.

Comment

• Steamburn
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2015

Aero Precision Charging handle ?
                    Everything else looks good, but once you install a scope, the charging handle becomes a problem. for that reason I changed to the BCM Gunfighter Model 4. This charger has a slightly larger pulling ears and also are hooked inwards a little, so even with a greasy or sweaty finger it doesn't slide off your grasp when going pulling under the scope.

The BCM® Mod 4x4 ambi charging handle (5.56/.223) latches extend past the main body of the charging handle by approximately .91in.

Comment

• grendelhunter16
                      Unwashed
                      • Feb 2017

Thanks for the advice. I was looking at the aero precision ambi charging handle which I think would also solve the peoblem you're referring to, but I didnt specify this in my post. I've heard nothing but good things about the bcm gunfighter handle though so if I decide I don't need an ambi handle this would save me $20-$30.

Comment

• grendelhunter16
                        Unwashed
                        • Feb 2017

Update: So far I have purchased my upper, lower, handguard, and just picked up the vortex viper pst 2.5-10x32 in MOA. Slowly buying parts for it as I find good deals. As long as I get it done before next hunting season I'll be fine, but should be done well before then. Thinking of changing a few things and looking for your thoughts. I was looking at the vortex spr lightweight mount as I do not really need QD and it'll save me $100 or so. Anyone have experience with this mount and specifically do you think the 2" forward mount of the spr will work well with my scope? Thinking of getting the magpul ACS-L instead of the B5 Sopmod. Also, can anyone recommend a muzzle brake/flash hider etc.?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

I have the Vortex CM-202 Mount and I really like it, seems well made and should give proper eye relief with your Viper PST. If you go to Vortex web site they have a Q-A section which should answer your question. If not you could check with Vortex on their recommendation.

I personally like A-2 flash hiders and I bought my last one for my Faxon build from Rousch Sports. I have one 6.5 Grendel that came with a YHM Phantom flash hider/brake. The phantom is OK but just a little longer than an A-2 FH. I have no experience with B5 Sopmod stock or Magpul ACS-L so can't help you there

Comment

• jim_bob
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2014

I like the B5 Sopmods I have. I have zero experience with Magpul stocks.

Comment

• grendelhunter16
                              Unwashed
                              • Feb 2017

My reason for thinking of making the switch to magpul is I have no need for the battery tubes on the enhanced sopmod stock as my scope uses a cr2032 battery. For roughly the same price as the sopmod Bravo I can hey the acs-l which has a storage compartment that would be more usable for my purpose. Has anyone used the JMT saver drop in trigger?

Comment

Working...
                              X