• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Tell Me Pros and Cons 12 vs 12.5 65G SBR

:: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
  • Ekalb2000
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2016

Stick with the 12. Its different from the rest. What do we lose 15fps if that?
    I am sure there are more scientific explanations out there.
    What about you guys running cans, any difference?

Comment

• explorecaves
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Only thing I can think of as a reason for the extra length is bragging rights with the ladies.... Now if it is a bull barrel too... yeah, I'm just going to stop there.... LOL

Comment

• ahillock
        Warrior
        • Jan 2016

No difference for me tbh. 0.5" does nothing practically. Start talking about 12" vs. 16" vs. 20" and you start getting somewhere.

From what you guys have posted, the 12" seems to be the sweet spot for a SBR setup.

Comment

• jim_bob
          Warrior
          • Jul 2014

10.5 or 11 would be SWEET!

Comment

• ScoutH57
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2016

12.5" would be nice for those of us that like handguards that are as long as possible but still leave the threads/muzzle device accessible for different suppressor mounting systems.

As in lots of places make 12 inch handguards but fewer make 11.5, 11s etc..
            Last edited by ScoutH57; 03-01-2017, 03:32 AM.

Comment

• Texas
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2016

Originally posted by ScoutH57 View Post
              12.5" would be nice for those of us that like handguards that are as long as possible but still leave the threads/muzzle device accessible for different suppressor mounting systems.

We built a couple of 7.5 in SBRs with suppressors that were half covered by the handguard and used pigtail gas tubes. The functioned flawlessly in semi or full auto. Cyclic rate was about 900 rounds per minute.

I like SBRs in 10.5 -12 inch barrel lengths.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                Warrior
                • Nov 2016

Good point +1

If by any chance your referring to the poll results I ran the proposal of a poll by LRP with a couple length and as usual he had better/more variety in options. Lengths are general but now, I like what he ^^^^ said.. secondary goal was to provide more options to entice quicker buying. I have no hoarse in this race, mearly trying to help out.

Thanks for the info Tex! Been wondering about those pigtails.

Comment

• Bigs28
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2016

My reason for wanting a 12.5" is that the over the barrel supressor i want needs 4" from end of barrel to gas block. I've done my measuring and the 12" will be very close to working but the 12.5" would definitely work. I will know more when i get my 12" in and gas block mounted.

On a side note, i would like to request that the grendel logo be at the end of the barrel and not at the base like the picture of the current 12"group buy. I don't want to cover the logo up with the handguard.

Comment

• RANGER
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
                    My reason for wanting a 12.5" is that the over the barrel supressor i want needs 4" from end of barrel to gas block. I've done my measuring and the 12" will be very close to working but the 12.5" would definitely work. I will know more when i get my 12" in and gas block mounted.

On a side note, i would like to request that the grendel logo be at the end of the barrel and not at the base like the picture of the current 12"group buy. I don't want to cover the logo up with the handguard.
                    My .02

save your money on the over the barrel suppressor. It's technology that has lived passed its usefulness. I got an SPR from Griffin and was underwhelmed by it. No real difference in sound from a regular "modern" suppressor and the gas blowback seem the same. It was a LOT heavier too.

The griffin M4SD-K however was amazing.

Granted these are 5.56 but a .30 cal can is gonna be the same. OTB suppressors aren't a "gimmick" but they also aren't needed anymore with more modern suppressors

Comment

• Zdoc
                      Unwashed
                      • Dec 2016

I would buy a 12.5

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

I saw someone recently who cut their KAC URX because of this.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ScoutH57
                          Bloodstained
                          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          Indeed, I'm probably going to try and chop my 12" Aero handguard enough to clear my ASR mount.

Comment

• TKO
                            Bloodstained
                            • Feb 2017

11.5 inch is the shortest I could go with my TBAC Ultra 7 Suppressor. That is their listed minimum barrel length for the Grendel cartridge. So, anywhere from 11.5 to 12.5 inch and I am in like Flynn.

Comment

• Smarcus
                              Unwashed
                              • Jul 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                              I had to cut my KAC URX 3.1 10.75 because I did not know that Lilja measures from the crown to the end of the Barrel extension for their length. As you know usually barrels are measured from the crown to the start of the extension. Therefore my 11.5 barrel was more like 11 inches and that was too short for the 10.75 URX and a thread mount Omega to work. Luckily I had a vice, hacksaw, files and black sharpie so all turned out fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X