• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bwild97
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by scouth57 View Post
    12.5" would be nice for those of us that like handguards that are as long as possible but still leave the threads/muzzle device accessible for different suppressor mounting systems.

As in lots of places make 12 inch handguards but fewer make 11.5, 11s etc..
    ∆∆∆∆∆ exactly this!!!

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Starting at the face of the receiver, the threaded portion is 0.441, the thickness of the barrel extension collar is 0.131, and the section of barrel from the barrel extension shoulder to the muzzle-threads shoulder is 10.755.

So 0.441 + 0.131 + 10.755 = 11.327. To be on the safe side, let’s call it 11.3.

So if you want a handguard to butt up to the muzzle threads without extending beyond, your handguard can’t be longer than 11.3 measured from the face of the receiver. But I don’t know how the various companies measure their handguard length, so that’s an open question.

LaRue Tactical makes an 11", and it's currently on sale from $299 to $209 as of 20170306. Don't know how they measure it, however.
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• explorecaves
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Gibbs arms makes a 11.375" I am going to try on the 12" barrel when it shows up. Will post up photos when it is assembled.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
          Warrior
          • Nov 2016

Huh. I alwahs thought those measurements were standardized... I mean atf goes by the bolt face pretty much ALWAYS right? Why in the heck wouldn't barrel manufacturers?

The plot thickens! IDK i still kinda want 14.5's in 4150

Comment

• Apparition
            Warrior
            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
            LaRue Tactical makes an 11", and it's currently on sale from $299 to $209 as of 20170306. Don't know how they measure it, however.
            I have that rail in an 11" works great with a 12" LaRue barrel and running a saker 7.62 suppressor. It's a touch on the heavy side but it's a quad rail.

I also recently assembled a LaRue stealth 2.0 I think it's a 10.5" rail and a 12" 300BO, very nice and I'd prefer that rail for this build. But, LaRue isn't currently offering them to the public.

I'll throw up some pictures for length references, currently traveling so it may be a couple days.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

When you get a chance, Apparition, that'd be cool to see.
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• Smarcus
                Unwashed
                • Jul 2016

BTW here is a pic of a 10.75 URX 3.1 cut to about 10.25 ona 11.5 Lilja (really 11 inches). Confusing, I know but it is what it is and I'm sure it would be great on a 12 inch Faxon:
                Attached Files

Comment

• Apparition
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2014

When you get a chance, Apparition, that'd be cool to see.
                  11" LaRue hand guard w/12" LaRue stealth 5.56 barrel with saker

10.5" LaRue Stealth 2.0 upper w/12" LaRue 300BO with saker

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 2011

So, if I'm viewing it correctly (and it depends on the camera angle), they measure their handguard total length starting at the face of the receiver?

Comment

• Apparition
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2014

So, if I'm viewing it correctly (and it depends on the camera angle), they measure their handguard total length starting at the face of the receiver?
                      Yes, and they have 2 different 11" guards. One has an extra rail section that sticks out further on the top of the hand guard.

Comment

• explorecaves
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2014

Gibbs Arms 11.375 - The overall length is 11.375".... the top rail is is a hair over 10 1/8"

Last edited by explorecaves; 03-09-2017, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X