• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • explorecaves
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

National concealed carry introduced in senate

U.S. Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) introduced the Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act (S. 446) this week.
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Statement withdrawn

I would still prefer that the Feds do not get involved in this.
    Last edited by Sticks; 03-04-2017, 01:40 PM. Reason: Coffe had not kicked in for proper comprehension
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• 1075 tech
      Warrior
      • Apr 2015

As I read it, it does NOT require states to adopt a standard. Each state will still keep it's own laws, just that states have to recognize CCW permits from other states.

I live in NY. I have to surrender my rights when I travel to Connecticut, NJ, PA, all of which are within 1/2 hr from me. What this means to me however, is I would have to have separate ammo for NJ to comply with their laws. As my magazines are NY compliant, I would not have an issue with those in other states.

Those coming to NY however would have to have low capacity (10 round max) magazines. You would also have to learn NY laws where there is no Stand Your Ground or Castle Doctrine and the Duty to Retreat is required (even in your own home).

As far as notifying law enforcement upon encounter, I agree to a point. If I'm at the local deli getting a sandwich, no, I'm not telling the officer who comes in for his coffee that I have a gun. When I get stopped by an officer (I drive commercial vehicle so this happens frequently), I hand them my CCW permit along with my driver's license. It's never been an issue for me.

Comment

• explorecaves
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by 1075 tech View Post
        As I read it, it does NOT require states to adopt a standard. Each state will still keep it's own laws, just that states have to recognize CCW permits from other states.

I live in NY. I have to surrender my rights when I travel to Connecticut, NJ, PA, all of which are within 1/2 hr from me. What this means to me however, is I would have to have separate ammo for NJ to comply with their laws. As my magazines are NY compliant, I would not have an issue with those in other states.

Those coming to NY however would have to have low capacity (10 round max) magazines. You would also have to learn NY laws where there is no Stand Your Ground or Castle Doctrine and the Duty to Retreat is required (even in your own home).

As far as notifying law enforcement upon encounter, I agree to a point. If I'm at the local deli getting a sandwich, no, I'm not telling the officer who comes in for his coffee that I have a gun. When I get stopped by an officer (I drive commercial vehicle so this happens frequently), I hand them my CCW permit along with my driver's license. It's never been an issue for me.
        This

Comment

• mdram
          Warrior
          • Sep 2016

ccw? never heard of it.
          just some targets for printing
          https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• explorecaves
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by mdram View Post
            ccw? never heard of it.
            not sure if trolling or not, but CCW = Concealed Carry Weapon.

Comment

• howl
              Warrior
              • Nov 2015

Travelers better study up on the laws of the states they visit. Going from a state with open carry to one where someone getting a peak at your sidearm is considering brandishing, for example, could be trouble!

Comment

• 1075 tech
                Warrior
                • Apr 2015

Maybe I shouldn't have used the term CCW. I know that in some states that is what it is referred to as it allows the concealed carry of a "weapon". In certain states that weapon need not to be a handgun. Do NOT come to NY with your gravity knife, switch blade, nunchuks, machete, etc.

Just last week we had a case where a lady travelling from Texas to Maine tried to sell a handgun to a gun store to get gas money. She was arrested for having an unregistered pistol.

Comment

• Red Dawn
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2016

Having the freedom to carry concealed in all states would be a plus. It would be better if the states that do have reciprocity with your state allowed conceal but some have to be open carry or in the vehicle with mag seperated from the pistol. You need to know the laws of the state you are visiting or you could get caught breaking the law. It can be confusing and feel like entrapment study before you go. I think there should be a uniform background check recognized by all states awarding those that get approved to carry everywhere they go whether it's in a restaraunt court or church. The setting doesn't change the fact that you are an approved to own and carry law abiding citizen. The same should go for NFA as well. Just my $0.02
                  "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country." James Madison

Comment

• mdram
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2016

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
                    not sure if trolling or not, but CCW = Concealed Carry Weapon.

yeah, i know what it is. but here in the peoples republic of maryland, its pretty much non existant
                    you have to show good and substantial reason, so 99% of people will never qualify.
                    you can apply, and wont get denied, they will just return your application.
                    its a trick to keep denial percentage down

Comment

• explorecaves
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

yeah, i know what it is. but here in the peoples republic of maryland, its pretty much non existant
                      you have to show good and substantial reason, so 99% of people will never qualify.
                      you can apply, and wont get denied, they will just return your application.
                      its a trick to keep denial percentage down
                      If it passes, there should be no reason why you cant get a non-resident permit from another state...

Comment

• mdram
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2016

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
                        If it passes, there should be no reason why you cant get a non-resident permit from another state...
                        iirc that still wont allow me to carry in my home state, just any other state

Comment

• Texas
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                          Statement withdrawn

I would still prefer that the Feds do not get involved in this.
                          +1

I would like for the FEDS to stay out of firearms regulations all together!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Comment

• explorecaves
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2014

iirc that still wont allow me to carry in my home state, just any other state
                            If they have to recognize like they do drivers license, then why wouldn't it allow you?

Comment

• howl
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2015

Sounds like the haves in Maryland make sure the have-nots have not. It amazes me how seldom people realize many states have gun laws that were passed to limit the civil rights of the lower classed and darker skinned. In Georgia we were very progressive in ridding ourselves of Jim Crow era laws which limited the rights of the oppressed by separating them from weapons. (I like to antagonize self-righteous liberals from yankee states with that bit.)

Comment

Working...
                              X