• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 8Gauge
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2016

Properly Matching Grendel Barrels and Bolts

Hi all,

I recently finished my grendel (with the exception of the bolt), and I have been reading up on issues related to excessive head space. Right now I have an 18" Odin Works Barrel that is SAAMI spec, and I have ordered an Alexander Hard Use Bolt, with a 0.136" bolt face recess. I contacted Odin Works, and got a very brief reply saying this should be fine. I was told that any Type II with a 0.136" recess will work with that barrel. From what I have read elsewhere, it seems it should be fine. So, my question is: Can anyone think of or find any issues with this combo? I have not fired the weapon yet, so I have not been able to look for case damage. Any insight would be much appreciated!

- 8Gauge
  • mdram
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

i personally would have just gotten the odin works bolt barrel combo

but as i was told in another thread.

"Theoretically, these parts are interchangeable, but when home gunsmithing a build it's a very good idea to verify your build with proper headspace gauges. When a company sells you a factory upper, they've done the headspacing for you; when you build your own, it's up to you. "
    just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Drillboss
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

A buddy and I both built uppers with the AA 16" lightweight barrels about a year ago. I had a bolt from PF on hand and he ordered a bolt from AA.

I asked AA at the time if they matched bolts to barrels. They told me they did not match them up and that manufacturing tolerances should allow any of their bolts to work with any of their barrels.

I don't have any head space gages yet. My first round is single loaded and fired from the hip to see if the bolt locks back properly. Then I measure that case with the Hornady headspace comparator and compare its measurement to the SAAMI spec.

I think you are good to go with that barrel/bolt combo.

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Agreed., yet check where the lugs meet up inside the BBl extension. Should be on center for the bolt lug mates with the extension - lug. Center to center. It should roll in easily- and lock up nicely. use a flashlite and a partner to verify in slo mo, function.

Many bolts have been bought here by me for a few diff cals. -- Never an issue at all.

Tolerances have been improved to what I see as an industry std. spec. All good- all fits all.

Think Nam war--- all parts needed to interchange----- same now days. Hats off to the nam vets! Thank you guys-gals for your services, sacrifices. Sniff. And again.

I checked in with Blade at Feddy today about the Le high bolt buy- I was wondering of the melanite coating upon the bolts--- thickness- etc. He said only a few microns thick added to the headspaced before treatment bolts.,, should not be an issue... BFT also verified - it should not be an issue at all. I worry too much, I was texted.

Only because I care I sent back to them.
        Last edited by sneaky one; 03-05-2017, 02:27 AM.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
          Warrior
          • Nov 2016

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
          I checked in with Blade at Feddy today about the Le high bolt buy- I was wondering of the melanite coating upon the bolts--- thickness- etc. He said only a few microns thick added to the headspaced before treatment bolts.,, should not be an issue... BFT also verified - it should not be an issue at all. I worry too much, I was texted.
          It is my understanding meloniting is not a coating but a treatment. It doesn't add anything to the metal it just changes it.

Comment

Working...
          X