Thinking of my next 6.5 Grendel project as an M16A2 (or A4) clone build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScoutH57
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2016

Thinking of my next 6.5 Grendel project as an M16A2 (or A4) clone build.

Anyone ever done something similar before? Just for fun mostly, I like spending some time on Iron sights routinely. Think it would be fun to play with and to take hog hunting occasionally and like having a KISS rifle around too.

There isn't anyone I'm missing that's making a 20 inch government profile 6 5 barrel with a already installed front sight post is there?

This would mostly be a Wolf fed rifle too.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

J&T used to sell A4-style complete uppers.

I've been thinking of an XM177E2 or GUA-5A/A build that would drop jaws at distance.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ScoutH57
      Bloodstained
      • Oct 2016

I was considering something like a XM177E2 as well .

J&T and Double star are the same company right? I used to see those uppers floating around but haven't in a while.

ETA: I did find some barrels with front sight posts installed on J&Ts website in stock. Might just sick it up and get an HBAR...I can get it turned eventually if I wanted to I suppose.
      Last edited by ScoutH57; 03-04-2017, 03:34 AM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

You can get whatever barrel profile you want, then have the FSB installed professionally by someone who knows you want TDC without any cant on the FSB.

There are small shops that specialize in retro or clone builds who are good at FSB installation with no canting.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ScoutH57
          Bloodstained
          • Oct 2016

I decided to give Double star a try, I think they make quality products ao hopefully their barrels are up to snuff.

I have everything ordered except a the upper receiver, can't decide if I want a to go with A2 or flattop + carry handle. Decisions decisions

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Go Flat Top as you can still add a NM carry handle. I bought my first AR-15 in the mid 90's during the AWB and my gun dealer friend refused to order an A-2, said you'll thank me later. He was right, get the Flat Top, way more versatile. I still have that Colt and it wears a scope most of the time now because my eyes are not what they used to be.

I've got a J&T 16" heavy contour 6.5 Grendel and it is a great shooter even with 1:9 twist and carbine gas system. I set up my 16" 6.5 Grendel to match my 16" 5.56/223 duty rifle which has a fixed A-2 front sight tower. My 6.5 Grendel is chrome moley phosphate finish and I read J&T uses Shaw barrel blanks.

Comment

• ScoutH57
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
              Go Flat Top as you can still add a NM carry handle. I bought my first AR-15 in the mid 90's during the AWB and my gun dealer friend refused to order an A-2, said you'll thank me later. He was right, get the Flat Top, way more versatile. I still have that Colt and it wears a scope most of the time now because my eyes are not what they used to be.

I've got a J&T 16" heavy contour 6.5 Grendel and it is a great shooter even with 1:9 twist and carbine gas system. I set up my 16" 6.5 Grendel to match my 16" 5.56/223 duty rifle which has a fixed A-2 front sight tower. My 6.5 Grendel is chrome moley phosphate finish and I read J&T uses Shaw barrel blanks.
              Good to know. Your 16" is a SAAMI Chamber right? I assumed it was (and I'm pretty sure I read that it is) but was kind of a dummy and just ordered it without verifying.

I have other 6.5mm ARs with scopes and what not. Its just more of a matter of how close of a psueodo M16A2 clone(or if I want to do an A4 clone) I want to make it. Leaning towards A4 for nostalgia sake, in basic training at Ft Knox my troop was issued M16A4s with A2 handguards.
              Last edited by ScoutH57; 03-07-2017, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

J&T Distributing/Double Star use SAAMI 6.5 Grendel chamber with .136 bolt. J&T entered the 6.5 Grendel business prior to 2009 when I bought my 16" 6.5 Grendel. A Friend bought a 20" SS bull barrel 1:9 twist 6.5 Grendel a few years ago. It was a real accurate barrel but heavy. He actually thought about sending the barrel off to get it reprofiled. Not sure if he did or not but from my limited experience J&T sells good stuff. J&T/DS has good customer service if an issue crops up.

Comment

• ScoutH57
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2016

It lives!

Last edited by ScoutH57; 03-15-2017, 04:39 PM. Reason: fixed pics

Comment

• ScoutH57
                    Bloodstained
                    • Oct 2016

Took it to the range yesterday and function checked it and had time to run 25 rounds through it. Its always nice when all it takes is 4 clicks to the right to get it zeroed. Was able to whack the 300 yard and hundred yard steel plates a few times with some Wolf.
                    Last edited by ScoutH57; 03-15-2017, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Looks good, did you get the chrome lined barrel or chrome moly barrel? Did you use the NM free float A-2 hand guard?

Comment

• ScoutH57
                        Bloodstained
                        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                        Looks good, did you get the chrome lined barrel or chrome moly barrel? Did you use the NM free float A-2 hand guard?
                        Its Doublestars 4140 Chrome moly HBAR. Figured I'd see what it can do without an NM Freefloat, probably wont be necessary with the type of shooting I do.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

That makes a great rifle, if my eyes were better I'd shoot more iron sights. I'll be surprised if that rifle isn't a great shooter. Sure would be impressive to shoot steel with that 6.5 Grendel compared to my H-Bar Colt 5.56/223.

Comment

• drewthebrave
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2016

I love this! I just sold my A2 inspired dissipator (that I never used) to fund a hunting shotgun. I think I need to fill that void with a 20" Grendel in the near future. The carry handle, stock, FSB, and handguard just looks right.

Comment

• bj139
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2017

That looks like a great configuration. I'm thinking of a fixed stock for my next lower build.

Comment

Working...
                              X