• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rektrishun
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2017

Primer dimple from chambering new round

I just finished building my grendel and took it shooting. It ran well with no malfunctions. However, I cycled the riffle without firing it and checked the unfired rounds that came out. I noticed a small dimple where the firing pin has actually made a slight dimple in the primer. Obviously I'm a little concerned about this. It doesn't happen on my bushmaster.
  • ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

It should happen on your bushmaster along with any ar 15 or similarly designed firearm. Don't be alarmed, it's the floating firing pin causing this. I know what u mean though. It is a little bothersome sometimes.

Richard
    Last edited by ricsmall; 03-04-2017, 01:57 PM.
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

The dimple in the primer is why it is recommended to use Military CCI 41 primers with thicker primer cups to reduce the chance of a slam fire. Many of the magnum small rifle primers have thicker cups and I use CCI 450 magnum primers. The CCI BR4 (bench rest) primers have thicker cups than standard primers like CCI 400, Remington 61/2 small rifle primers.

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
        The dimple in the primer is why it is recommended to use Military CCI 41 primers with thicker primer cups to reduce the chance of a slam fire. Many of the magnum small rifle primers have thicker cups and I use CCI 450 magnum primers. The CCI BR4 (bench rest) primers have thicker cups than standard primers like CCI 400, Remington 61/2 small rifle primers.
        THANK YOU!!!

Somebody posted here a while back about loading up some ammo with BR primers and they were all FTFire. Never did explain why, and I am sitting on 10k of them (only thing available during the "O" panic way back when).
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

I bought some of the BR4 primers and used them in the last load workup, no issues in my bolt rifle or the AR. All have went bang when fired. Could be I just got lucky but I will continue to use them as long as I have some and bought 3k of them so that will last me a while. Then again I got them through work and they were 60% off retail.

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Sticks, could have been an OAL issue when the BR primers were used. Nothing to do with the primers....

If they were reloaded with the brass oal too long,= BRASS not having the shoulder pushed back far enuff == failure to go into battery, they will still produce a trigger snap, with no bang.

Been there- done that
            Last edited by sneaky one; 03-05-2017, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X