X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Gruff
    Chieftain
    • Apr 2012

The British army had to get a lot of men up to handling rifles competently in a vey short time at the start of hostilities and one of the difficulties was than many men had no experience with a rifle at all, let alone the less than comfortable military stocked 303 Lee Enfield. Flinching was a real problem and one trainer found that he would get those worst effected to fire a round or two from a 50 cal browning and the 303 seemed quite mild in comparison so the flinch quickly dissapared.
    I usually take my 404 Jeffery to the range when I go for a play and a round or two from it gives perspective and makes relaxing into the shot for my other rifles much easier. When I was doing load testing with the 404 from the bench I could get up to 45 full power rounds away (no lead sled, just a past pad and concentration) before having to give it away till another day.
    Flinching can be overcome and I found simple concentration to be the best "tool for the job".

Von Gruff.
    http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
    Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• GMinor
      Warrior
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
      Guys:

Thought I would open a new thread on flinching / choking as it seems that is the way the old thread is heading.

Some good comments about how guys deal with flinching.

Shooting a rifle that doesn't beat the crap out of you or downloading to reduce recoil are mechanical fixes. IMHO the easiest fix is a mechanical one.

Dry firing probably doesn't do much because when a guy dry fires, he knows he won't get whacked by recoil and there won't be noise. Most people who dry fire normally see (literally) the difference in their hold between dry firing and actually shooting.

GM commented that it seems like his last shot is the one that gives him problems.

Why does a guy choke on a shot? The reasons really are mental. Mostly because a guy shifts his attention from an external focus to an inward focus. Instead of attending to sight picture, he starts to worry about recoil, noise, or the fact that his sight picture is jumping around his intended aim point. Or he knows he just fired a number of great shots and his focus shifts to "fear of what may happen instead of seeing what will happen." When this happens, and it can happen real fast as we all know, the only thing that may keep the disaster from happening is that 2% luck.

So, how do you guys contend this problem?

LR55
      Ball and dummy drills will show you your hang ups.

Recoil anticipation is mental and proper marksmanship fundamentals need to be applied.

Stop shooting groups. Start shooting dot drills, that will get you away from the pressure of printing small groups while keeping your impacts in a specific area.

Comment

• Tedward
        Banned
        • Feb 2013

I work with a guy who is a marksman for collage and has been doing competition shooting for years. He told me to shoot and do not take my eye off the target even after the round had fired. I tried that and improved dramatically. Then I had an unknown dryfire, round didn't feed right, and I could see and feel my pull.

I think the dummy round in a mag will also help and will try the single shot on target next and just keep moving from one target to the next. Good points all around this post and my mom said never use the middle finger, I think I have a reason now...

Comment

• Plainsman
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2019

Apparently even the samurai <flinched> or choked on occasion. They supposedly had a mantra used as they went into combat: You have already been cut; you have already cut another.

Comment

• CJW
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2019

This is an excellent read!

Thanks for pulling it back up.

Comment

• Warlock
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2018

I am the type of person that completely and I mean completely falls apart if the trigger moves and the round is not gone.

I also realize that it is counter to everything written on the long range accuracy forums but, I mash the trigger.

I tie into my weapon, relax and center myself and without thinking, let my eyes tell my trigger finger when to break the shot. It sounds like there could be no consistency shot to shot but I do very well.

Without thinking about it and without jerking the trigger, I apply pressure to the trigger all at once, knowing the rifle will fire.

It's not at all common but it is what works for me.
              Last edited by Warlock; 01-17-2020, 02:33 AM.
              You only think you're alone

Comment

Working...
              X