• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Calling in a Sounder

This was my 6th or 7th time to call in hogs and the 2nd time to call in a sounder at this location. While this was a daylight hunt, it was overcast and dark, misting, and winds gusting quite a bit - the winds actually working in our favor. We set up on the edge of a dam overlooking a tank. We were sitting in fairly high grass, but were still quite exposed to view.

We were using "Sow Hysteria," which is one of Glenn Guess' calls that can be downloaded off of iTunes. It seems to be a fairly useful call and one I have used several times in the past with some luck and is often used by Glenn in his videos (Hog Zombies on Youtube). Before the video starts, we had already gotten a response from the sounder and after the video starts, got an even better response that was really cool!

Glenn now works for Convergent Hunting Solutions, but previously had done the hog calls for Fox Pro. The similar call on Fox Pro would be "Sow Protection."

Hogs certainly don't always come when we try the caller. Sometimes they don't come even when we can see them, but often when they do come, the response is impressive.

I changed over from black hot to white hog as it was easier to see white hot in my scope in the daylight than it was to see black hot. On video, they both look fine, but in the field, white hot looked better during daylight hours.

We ended up shooting two hogs. The second hog was inaccessible and so was not recovered.

I was a bit surprised that the Hornady SST did not exit on a hog this small, but in reviewing the video, it looked like my shot was the one through the shoulder, breaking the shoulder, so maybe that was alright. The SST will often overpenetrate hog hog shoulders up to about 225 lbs when the bullet doesn't hit heavy bone.

Here is the video...
    Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 03-05-2017, 01:34 PM.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Slappy
    Warrior
    • Feb 2014

How much fun is that?? We had a bunch come in on Friday night, we had them 15 feet from us and I could not stop laughing!!. It is so cool to have that happen!!! Fun Times!! Thanks for posting the vid. BANG BANG!!

Oh ya and back at ya!!!!!
    Last edited by Slappy; 03-05-2017, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• Texas
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2016

Once again, thank you for the great video! It looked like there was also a big boar that looked right at you as well.

If I may ask, what software are you using for your editing?

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

Thanks guy!

I am just using simple and old Microsoft Movie Maker. It isn't a sophisticated editor and it glitches sometimes, but it is free and works well enough. If you are interested, be sure to download it by going to the microsoft website and not through a 3rd party. Don't just google MMM and download it from some unknown vendor.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

What .308 bullet type was your friend shooting?

That call seemed to work like a charm.

If only you had a platoon in ambush, waiting.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Troutguide
            Warrior
            • Jan 2017

When using the call do you have it on your person or remote? Do you ever have a lone Boar come in? I know a few areas with big lone boars but I think they are nocturnal and can't use lights or nv on public land in OK so calling in daylight is appealing.
            "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2013

LRRPF52, that was 150 gr. Hornady TAP ammo, believe it or not. Sometimes it comes apart, sometimes not (as per the guy who was shooting it).

In the daylight, I use a call with a remote and have the call placed some distance away from me. In the video, it was about 20 yards off to our right. If I was in an open field, I would place it much farther away. Had it been at night, having it closer would not have been a problem.

Comment

• Texas
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2016

Can that call be purchased?

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

The answer is that it can be purchased, but whether singly or with others, I am not sure. I haven't ever bought from iTunes or the Android Play Store, but here is what a guy posted on another forum...

Search for Wild Hog Pro in Apple App Store or Android Playstore. It cost $3.99 and $1.99 for additional calls. If you have a bluetooth speaker, you can play the hog calls through that.

I bought it a few days ago, just need to make some time and head to the woods!

Comment

Working...
                  X