SI: Is the IWI US Tavor X95 the world's best bullpup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • n9nwo
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2016

SI: Is the IWI US Tavor X95 the world's best bullpup?

This is mostly Shooting Illustrated opinion. However I do really like the Tavor and have found it be very comfortable. Plus a more modern, and modular, design.

The problem is that the AR has become very dominate. And very affordable. Thus many do not want to see it replaced.

But IF the AR/M16/M4 were to be replaced it would be due to a new caliber was selected. There is talk of going to a 6.5mm. If it were the 6.5 Grendel (6.5x39) then it could be used in an AR platform. The 6.5mm has an advantage of nearly being a perfect caliber (high BC, the .338LM and .338NM also have nearly the same BC). The 6.5mm can give nearly the same performance as the .308 (7.62x51) with far less recoil.

I have found the Tavor to one of the most comfortable rifles I have held. A carbine not much bigger than most SMG. The Israel design concept was to be modular so that the rifle could be used in place of the SMG in 9mm (or some improved PDW caliber). The name "X95" refers to 9 as in 9mm and 5 as in 5.56mm.

Building on the runaway success of the Tavor SAR, IWI US’ newest carbine refines the platform to create what might be the perfect bullpup.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I have a Tavor SAR with 16" barrel. The Tavor has been utterly reliable but the accuracy is not quite as good as a AR-15. The Tavor has adequate combat accuracy but is not an ideal weapon to shoot off the bench. If IWI offered the Tavor in 6.5 Grendel I'd buy one. I'd much prefer 6.5 Grendel to 300 Blackout which IWI is releasing. I think the Tavor has adequate accuracy for it's intended use. I just don't think the Tavor design will achieve the level of accuracy as an AR-15. The long stroke gas piston and light weight barrel are not ideal for obtaing top accuracy.

Comment

• mdewitt71
      Warrior
      • Dec 2016

I read an article and the author stated he hit .75 and 1 inch groups with the X95 with factory ammo.
      I find it awesome it did that for a magazine article when the dozens that I have shot or seen shot would not even get 2 MOA with match ammo or hand loads.

Not that I expect it to be a sniper rifle, just funny about the article and there is all kinds of youtube vids and stories on the forums about how it is not very consistent.
      ― George Orwell

Comment

• yoni
        Unwashed
        • Mar 2017

I was on the original board that tested the prototype Tavor a long time ago. I didn't like the rifle.

I now own a Tavor and love the rifle. To the point I think it just might be the best general issue rifle in the world. I still think the M16 platform is better for special ops.

I wish I could convert my Tavor to 6.5 Grendel, then I would have only rifles in this caliber until I got to my long range rifles.

Comment

Working...
        X