• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Originally posted by JethroBodine View Post
    To those who have ordered a barrel from True Sporting Arms have you received a email confirmation of your order yet?

I ordered a couple barrels yesterday and still haven't received confirmation.

I realize it's the Christmas season and they are probably swamped with orders at the sale prices but it'd be nice to know whether the order is good before I buy other parts.

I made the mistake a couple of years ago of buying some Nikon M-223 scope bases for a couple of Nikon M-223 4-12 scopes Cabelas' had advertised for $115. I should have known it was too good to be true but I did receive confirmation of my order for the scopes shortly after I placed it. I got an email the next day that my order had been canceled for the scopes after I had ordered the bases.
    I just ordered a 6X45 1X10 24 STD/R 1/2 BLK for $93.75 shipped (!!!) in order to give the p-dogs a little meat with their potatoes at range (70 grain FB Tipped Varmageddons going 2900ish without risking spinning off the jacket or overstabilizing & should expand out to 600ish ). I did get a confirmation in my Hotmail junk box.
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
      I just ordered a 6X45 1X10 24 STD/R 1/2 BLK for $93.75 shipped (!!!) in order to give the p-dogs a little meat with their potatoes at range (70 grain FB Tipped Varmageddons going 2900ish without risking spinning off the jacket or overstabilizing & should expand out to 600ish ). I did get a confirmation in my Hotmail junk box.
      93.75 for a BHW barrel?! Best deal ive heared of in awile.

Comment

• bj139
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2017

Last week I ordered the BHW/Columbia 6X45 1X9 18 B/R TC MACH for $91.25 shipped.
        Today, I bought five uppers, a BCG and some gas blocks and gas tubes for other builds from Delta Team Tactical.
        Don't need no muzzle break for the target crown on the bull barrel 6x45.
        I plan to put a schedule 40 handguard on this build.

The extra upper I bought is reserved for the group buy of the 6mm AR turbo improved.

I didn't get a confirmation email so I called Columbia and the woman there said my order was in and it may take a week or two to get the barrels out since the demand was so great. I did check my credit card and they already charged my account so I guess I am good to go, unless they mis-counted their stock.
        Last edited by bj139; 12-22-2017, 03:29 AM.

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

Here is a BHW/Columbia 6x45 1x9 20 std/r 1/2 mach barrel for $86.25.
          They show 4 in stock.

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

Stonehenge,
            Just curious. Why did you go with a 1x10 twist?
            They are showing one in stock with a 1x9 twist right now with the same specs as your other barrel.
            Last edited by bj139; 12-22-2017, 03:29 AM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
              Chieftain
              • May 2016

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
              Stonehenge,
              Just curious. Why did you go with a 1x10 twist?
              They are showing one in stock with a 1x9 twist right now with the same specs as your other barrel.
              It will pretty much be for a dedicated p-dog popper and I’m going to focus on the 70s. Put it in the Berger twist calculator and the 1x10 gave me an SG of 2.1 while the 1x9 gave me a 2.6. All that’s needed is 1.5. Spinning thin jacketed Varmint bullets too fast can spin the jacket off or alter them enough to affect accuracy at range, so I went with 1x10. A p-dog at 600 is about a 1/2 x 1 MOA target (maybe a little more depending upon posture), so every little bit counts. A lot of people out there claim 1/2 to 3/4 MOA from BHW barrels, so hopefully flat based bullets can get me on the low end of that range. I have gotten well inside that with 110 varmageddons out of a stock 308 RPR barrel. Longer, heavier 6mm bullets will get fed to the 26” 6mm Grrrr upper that will share the lower.
              Last edited by StoneHendge; 12-22-2017, 04:32 AM.
              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• bj139
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                It will pretty much be for a dedicated p-dog popper and I’m going to focus on the 70s. Put it in the Berger twist calculator and the 1x10 gave me an SG of 2.1 while the 1x9 gave me a 2.6. All that’s needed is 1.5. Spinning thin jacketed Varmint bullets too fast can spin the jacket off or alter them enough to affect accuracy at range, so I went with 1x10. Longer, heavier 6mm bullets will get fed to the 26” 6mm Grrrr upper that will share the lower.
                I wanted to get 1x8 but there were none left in the sub $100 barrels. Probably what I bought will be good. Thanks.

Comment

• JethroBodine
                  Bloodstained
                  • Apr 2017

Thanks for the responses to my question on email notification. Please don't take this wrong but I'm glad it's not only me.

I just couldn't pass up the deals, I'm getting two barrels for less than I paid for my last one. I ordered a 12.5" 264LBC 1-8 standard profile for a pistol build and a 16" 264LBC 1-8 LT/C for a light weight carbine build. My 20" 264LBC is the most accurate rifle I've ever shot.

I'm trying to decide on the uppers. I have several New Frontier Side Charging Uppers on 300 BO's and really like them but can buy four Aero Uppers for the same money as one of the New Frontier. Decisions, decisions, lol.

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

SH, I just found this about barrel twist rate. I should be GTG at 100 yards.

JB, I just bought blemished BCA uppers from Delta TeamTactical for $34/ea. They are forged and mil spec.

I bought an extra upper for when the group buy 6mm AR Turbo barrel becomes available.
                    Last edited by bj139; 12-22-2017, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• JethroBodine
                      Bloodstained
                      • Apr 2017

Schuyler Arms, http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/ is having a Winter sale. All VG6 muzzle brakes $40. Aero M4E1 Cerakote FDE lower for $85 and Upper / Lower set for $150.

Grayfox - Thanks for the info on the Norma Brass. I have some 223 Norma brass and I'm pretty impressed with the quality. I haven't seen any reviews on the 6.5 Grendel Norma brass. Has anyone tried it? I'm assuming it's similar to Lapua as to quality and number of reloads and at $75/100 quite a bit less expensive than Lapua.
                      Last edited by JethroBodine; 12-22-2017, 01:11 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

It’s rumored Nosler 6.5 Grendel brass is rebranded Norma 6.5 Grendel brass. Might help if you search for reports on Nosler 6.5 Grendel brass since it’s been on the US market a little longer.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2016

Nosler doesn’t make their own brass so it would be the other way around.

Bj, altitude has a pretty big effect on required twist, so 1x9 is perfect in your parts. What I’m expecting to run at 5k ASL through a 1x10 gives me the same SG as 1x9 at sea level.
                          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2016

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                            I bought the machine finish barrel. I just looked it up and 416r steel is stainless. I guess that is all they use.
                            No need to worry about rust.
                            Yeah i have one of their match barrels in 223 wylde and im pretty sure it rusted. Can't be 100% sure. Id need a bore cam. But its near the muzzle and crown area. 416 is one of the least rust resistant stainless alloys out there.
                            17-4 is better in almost every way. Better rust resistance (i believe its food grade as well as some 300 series) and better stability in the cold.
                            Walther makes 17-4 barrels as well as polymer80 just released their new barrels which are also made out of 17-4 same as their slides.

Anyone else having trouble saving money lately?

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2016

Originally posted by AZHTfreak View Post
                              My loooong backordered 25 round E-Landers just shipped from LaRue! Get 'em while they're in stock!
                              Midway has had them for a while.. I got mine about a couple months ago. They went out if stock for a "while" after but are back in stock when i checked the other day if anyone needs them still.

Comment

• kpswihart
                                Warrior
                                • Dec 2016

PSA Christmas sale shows a complete lower with Maxim CQB PDW brace for $399.99.

Comment

Working...
                                X