X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hunter307
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2017

I wonder how much weight you could shave off of a boyds stock? Possibly hollowing out the buttstock, re-profiling the forend.

I've got an email into Manners and I'm hoping I hear back from them on Monday. I've got it narrowed down to Pendleton and Manners (depending on their response). I should be picking up my barreled action tomorrow, and if I want to hunt with it this season I should make a decision soon.

Comment

• Hunter307
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2017

So I scored a factory green stock off ebay for 28 bucks. Now I have to decide if I want to cut/trim it down to lighten it or send it of to MPI.

Once it gets here I'll get it weighed and see how much I need to remove. Has anyone shortened the for-end on one? I'm hoping it's not hollow.

Comment

• Hunter307
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2017

Got my stock in. I think I'm going to not only trim it down, but shorten the forend. I'll bed it, and then paint it. To start it weighed 34.50oz. The recoil pad alone was 4oz. I might be ditching that too (maybe go kydex or thin foam pad).

EDIT: Just cut the stock down approximately 2.75 inches which cut off 2oz. So with the rubber pad and stock, no reshaping yet (which i'll be rasping and sanding a lot) im down to 29.45oz

Honestly even if I didn't want to shave weight off the stock, I think the stock that LSI/Howa sells with these mini rifles are a disservice to the petite action and #1 barrel combo. It feels like you're holding a 2x4. I would reshape it anyway.
        Last edited by Hunter307; 03-21-2017, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• nuthead
          Warrior
          • Nov 2015

Have to agree with you about the stock - the rest of the rifle is machined quite nicely.

I can't wait to see this new lightweight stock matt hinted about from the shot show !

Comment

• Hunter307
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by nuthead View Post
            Have to agree with you about the stock - the rest of the rifle is machined quite nicely.

I can't wait to see this new lightweight stock matt hinted about from the shot show !
            I missed that, what was hinted????

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
              Warrior
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Hunter307 View Post
              i dont remember this, can you refresh my memory?

Comment

• Hunter307
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2017

Well I shaved the stock down to 27oz. Its been rasped, sanded, primed, sanded, primed, sanded, painted in gray texture, painted in OD green, and will be shot with Krylon webbing paint tomorrow (if you've got a three day weekend to kill in the spring, this project is for you). I'm sure the paint will add some weight, but don't know how much. I also added the front swivel back on, and need to cut a flip flop for a butt pad. But with the reshaping im really happy with it. I think its going to look pretty sweet. Here in a couple of weeks I'll be buying a leupold 2-7x33 and it will be mounted in talley lightweights. Before paint and sling swivel were added the barreled action (with magwell & mag) and stock weighed 5.04lb. I really hope it stays under 6lbs with scope and mounts...fingers crossed.

Im going to hold off on cerakote until I find an applicator nearby that I like.
                Last edited by Hunter307; 03-24-2017, 01:27 AM.

Comment

• xlcc
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2016

Well I shaved the stock down to 27oz. Its been rasped, sanded, primed, sanded, primed, sanded, painted in gray texture, painted in OD green, and will be shot with Krylon webbing paint tomorrow (if you've got a three day weekend to kill in the spring, this project is for you). I'm sure the paint will add some weight, but don't know how much. I also added the front swivel back on, and need to cut a flip flop for a butt pad. But with the reshaping im really happy with it. I think its going to look pretty sweet. Here in a couple of weeks I'll be buying a leupold 2-7x33 and it will be mounted in talley lightweights. Before paint and sling swivel were added the barreled action (with magwell & mag) and stock weighed 5.04lb. I really hope it stays under 6lbs with scope and mounts...fingers crossed.

Im going to hold off on cerakote until I find an applicator nearby that I like.
                  Be nice to see a picture when you are finished!

Comment

• nuthead
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2015

It was in this thread - 5th post.... i took it as there was a lightweight stock in the making for it? But who knows

Good morning everyone. i got back in from Vegas late last night. its around a 7.5 hour drive back to Reno. The response from everyone on the minis was incredible. I also had the privilege of meeting 2 prominent forum members and that was awesome to say the least. Thank you for taking the time to come find me! (you know

Comment

• Hunter307
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2017

^^ after chopping down, if you look you can see the seam where I epoxyed on the end cap

^^ Piece I cut off the stock

^^ rasped, sanded, and primed

^^ Crappy pic due to glare, but painted prior to clear coat

Comment

• Troutguide
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2017

That looks surprisingly good. Not to doubt your abilities just surprised how stock it looks before paint. Pun intended.
                        "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• Hunter307
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jan 2017

No mag or ammo

with mag and 5 rounds of Hornady 123sst

All together

I still need to cut a flip flop for a butt pad. But other than that the stock is done. I'll wait until I see how it shoots and decide whether I want to tackle bedding it, but the fit is really tight as is and it has aluminum pillars.

I'm kinda bummed the weight is so high with mag and ammo, but rumor has it some more companies are going to start making stocks for the mini so I might end up buying a super light stock down the road. But I am kinda surprised how well it came out looking, because in the beginning it looked like a hot mess.

Scope and rings to follow in a couple of weeks and then its off to the range, where I'll follow a "break in procedure" (per Howa) for the first time in my life.

Comment

• nuthead
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2015

wow you did an awesome job with that - very impressive

how did you get the spiderweb effect?

Comment

• Hunter307
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jan 2017

The webbing was super easy. Krylon marbleizing spray paint! With a little practice it's super quick and easy to use.

Comment

• ricsmall
                                Warrior
                                • Sep 2014

Very nice paint job!!
                                Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

Working...
                                X