• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tommag
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2015

Adjustable gas block questions

I have the 16" numrich grendel bbl and installed a Joe Bob outfitters adjustable gas block. While trying it out, I screwed it all the way in and it still functioned. I removed the block and observed the screw as I was tightening it. It goes all the way in, covering the hole. Blowing through the tube, I detected some restriction, but not a complete shut off. Is this normal for adjustable gb?
    Reading about gas port sizes, I see that my port is on the small size. I tried an .050 Allen wrench (.055 across the points) and it fit. Next size I had was a 1/16" allen, (.068 across the points) it didn't fit in the port, so I guess the port isn't overesize. Its a carbine length gas system.
    Added: the action functioned with hand loads as well as the remaining 8 rounds of Hornady factory 123 I had with the screw turned all the way in.
    Last edited by tommag; 03-15-2017, 07:43 PM. Reason: spell check
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

I had one of those joebobs adjustable gas blocks they are junk.

Mine did the same as yours and the gas hole wasn't bored straight.

I went to a Syrac then a JP and both of them completely shut off the gas.

Not sure on what size the gas port should be on your gas setup, I would spend a lil more money and upgrade your gas block.

I like the JP gas block the most because I can remove it from the barrel without removing my muzzle brake.

Comment

• tommag
      Bloodstained
      • Oct 2015

Thanks, A5. I am fairly new to the platform, but didn't think it was right.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

LRRPF would be the guy who could tell you what your gas port size should be for carbine gas.

After I had the problems with joebobs gas block I decided to spend the money for a good block and went with the Syrac and loved that block easy to set for proper alignment and worked great, sold the upper it was on and built me a new one with JP and PF parts used JP's split yoke low profile adjustable gas block and won't use any other kind now.

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

I have a syrac and it works as it should but im pretty sure they went out of business. For my next build i was looking ar the jp but i think i saw that their adjustment screw was on the side which i fear will be hard to adjust under my handguard. Any thoughts a5? I'm also looking at slr but they are proud of them.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

I have the split yoke gas block, and the adjustment screw is on the right and the locking screw is on the front face of the gas block.

Mine is under my seekins sp3rv3 15 inch handgaurd and I don't have any problems adjusting it, the gas block comes with a very long tool for makeing adjustments.

Comment

• 1075 tech
              Warrior
              • Apr 2015

Odin makes an adjustable that works from the front. I didn't try adjusting mine all the way down, just to the minimum point where it would function reliably with factory SST's.

Comment

Working...
              X