• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dpr64
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2016

BCA barrels?

Has anyone tried these type II barrels out?

Bear Creek Arsenal manufactures the largest selection of affordable quality AR-15 and AR-10 Firearms, Uppers, Lowers, Barrels, Assemblies, and more!
  • Drillboss
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

I haven't tried one, but have to ask what is a type II barrel?

Does that mean Grendel II chamber or is it SAAMI with the type II bolt (which I understand was made up by BHW)?

They seem to have one review that gave them 2 out of 5 stars. Not impressed.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Never heard of them before, price looks nice but it sounds like it's a grendel II chamber, I didn't see where it says what bolt they use.

I would give them a call tommorw and ask who's blanks they use and if it takes the .136 bolt and who's bolt they say to use.

The reviews didn't look so good on their website.

Personally I would spend my cash on a sammi chambered barrel, had a grendel II barrel and it didn't shoot as good as my sammi chambered barrel does, but I also don't load my own ammo so maybe that's why.

Comment

• Retro
        Warrior
        • Jul 2016

I was looking at their website and noticed that though they list their barrels as type II Grendel all that they sell in the way of bolts are 7.62X39. If that is the case then I would assume that they are .125 bolts. Change, I either missed it or they added it but now there is a Gredel BCG. They don't offer it in the side charger though.
        Last edited by Retro; 06-20-2017, 04:27 PM.

Comment

• Dpr64
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2016

It is hard to say... Curious as to what they actually are.

Comment

• Dpr64
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Retro View Post
            I was looking at their website and noticed that though they list their barrels as type II Grendel all that they sell in the way of bolts are 7.62X39. If that is the case then I would assume that they are .125 bolts.
            Grendel II is supposed to be .135 or .136, no?

Comment

• Bwild97
              Warrior
              • Jan 2015

The Grendel II chamber uses a .136 bolt.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

I called Bear Creek today and asked which bolt and chamber they used. Receptionist referred me to Josh who was already out of the Office. I'll try to call back tomorrow. I want to know what they are selling and try to ensure their web sites states what they are selling.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

I called Bear Creek Arsenal this morning and talked to Josh. Josh is the production engineer manager and advised their barrels are completely machined in house. The 6.5 Grendel barrels listed use SAAMI spec chamber and .136 bolts ( reason says type II in description). Josh stated BCA currently does not sell bolts to match their barrels but production of 6.5 Grendel bolts is anticipated. Josh stated their products are manufactured in house.

Josh was very helpful and advised for anyone with questions in regards to the 6.5 Grendel to call him at 919-777-0675. I have no affiliation with BCA but just wanted to find out the specifics of their products.

Comment

• Cole Dedhand
                    Unwashed
                    • May 2017

This seems as good a place as any to drop this...

Finally got my Grendel to the range this morning. To recap, 18" BCA stainless barrel, AA bolt, Primary Arms 1-8 scope.

Test conditions were not ideal shooting from a folding table and the sun behind the target, but there was no wind. The lower has a 4.5lb POF "combat" trigger.

First I tried the Wolf steel case. Yes folks, a genuine 8" group. I can honestly say I've never seen a worse 100 yard group from any rifle I've ever shot. Even my crappiest AK with crappiest ammo shoots better. This barrel and this ammo don't get along. The only positive was that it was reliable for the 60 rounds I shot.

Next I tried Hornady Black ELD. The squares are 1/2". The group is a bit under 2". I called the upper right shot as a jerk but it isn't enough worse than the next shot to make much difference.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Cole Dedhand View Post
                      This seems as good a place as any to drop this...

Finally got my Grendel to the range this morning. To recap, 18" BCA stainless barrel, AA bolt, Primary Arms 1-8 scope.

Test conditions were not ideal shooting from a folding table and the sun behind the target, but there was no wind. The lower has a 4.5lb POF "combat" trigger.

First I tried the Wolf steel case. Yes folks, a genuine 8" group. I can honestly say I've never seen a worse 100 yard group from any rifle I've ever shot. Even my crappiest AK with crappiest ammo shoots better. This barrel and this ammo don't get along. The only positive was that it was reliable for the 60 rounds I shot.

Next I tried Hornady Black ELD. The squares are 1/2". The group is a bit under 2". I called the upper right shot as a jerk but it isn't enough worse than the next shot to make much difference.
                      Dang, you need to get a hold of them, they say they expect an inch out of their barrels. You might try it again under better conditions but if that is the best it's got something isn't right.

My 1943 91/30 groups better than that with PPU... I am going to be seriously put out if it shoots better than my 18" fluted grendel barrel from Classic. Yeah the barrel was cheap but the whole 91/30 was $4 more.

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

I have a BCA 16" SS barrel and have been testing it.

The first target is with a 4X crossbow scope I bought at Cabela's shooting Hornady ammo. I bought the 3 scopes that had the clearest glass for $10 each. I figured 3x or 4x might be good for something. During this group I found the scope had become loose on the picatinny rail.

The second target was after I tightened the 4X crossbow scope with Wolf Steel ammo. Not too bad

The third target was with a newly acquired SWFA 16X scope shooting Wolf Steel ammo. I was disappointed since I thought the cheap scope might have been a problem.

The fourth photo is my Grendel build with my $10 scope.

I had a chance to buy an Alexander Arms Overwatch upper and put the SWFA 16x scope on it.

The fifth photo is the AA upper on my lower receiver.

The sixth photo is the group I shot with the Overwatch and 16X SWFA scope. It is a little over 1 MOA.

From this I think the scope is great. One thing I read about the upper from Alexander is they use Loctite on the barrel extension, receiver, nut and handguard.

My next step is to take my home built upper apart and re-bed with Loctite. I originally just used grease. I can't pass judgement on the BCA barrel until I try this.

Edit: I ordered the receiver lapping tool from Midway yesterday so I plan to lap the receiver and Loctite the barrel and will post results after I shoot it.

IMG_20170607_170842073 (Medium).jpgIMG_20170607_170815271 (Medium).jpgIMG_20170607_170858478 (Medium).jpgIMG_20170509_150915 (Medium).jpgGrendelIMG_20170609_142440 (Medium).jpgGrendelIMG_20170609_142614 (Medium).jpg
                        Last edited by bj139; 06-13-2017, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• Drillboss
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                          My next step is to take my home built upper apart and re-bed with Loctite. I originally just used grease. I can't pass judgement on the BCA barrel until I try this.
                          ]
                          Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I wouldn't loctite the barrel nut. I've never seen anything recommend that.

BTW, for bedding the barrel extension into the receiver, I've always used the blue. You can knock that loose with a wooden dowel later if you need too.

Comment

• kevperro
                            Bloodstained
                            • Apr 2017

You know.... I was a doubting Thomas but I bought the lapping tool and loctited my barrel into the upper reciever. I have no idea if it helped with my build but I have good results. Been getting 2 MOA or better with my cheap Wolf steel cased.

I think... anything that helps take slop out of the system is probably good. Resonances as they propagate through something as complex as an AR-15 are not necessarily as easy to predict. You wouldn't think with the barrel nut torqued that you are getting movement but I could see the epoxy loctite impacting the resonsance in the system. I'd be sceptical that it is enough to change the POI but hey.... there may be something to it.

And you do not have the loctite on the threads. It is just there to take up space between the barrel and the upper. I would view it as a gap filler and something that would possibly damp a resonance.
                            Last edited by kevperro; 06-14-2017, 12:25 AM.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2016

I don't see lapping the receiver or bedding the barrel being the fix. It won't hurt but it won't make it sub MOA. 3-4MOA is kind of not out of line for Wolf. AA is eating it exceptionally well.

Have you tried any brass cased ammo?

Comment

Working...
                              X